New Release D3D9Client Development

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hmm. So making a light for every thruster wouldn't be possible, but two or four main engines would be okay?
It would be possible, but if you fire more than 4 or 8 thrusters, some will not "light up". This is, if there are no other more-powerful lights nearby.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know if that info is already in the D3D9 manual, but I think it would be a nice addition.
I'll take that as a task for me ;).
As I am writing the "Features & Limitations" section, can anybody point me to a list of features / limitations?
I am so much used to using D3D9Client that I can not even remember all the added features (compared to inline graphics)...

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I'll take that as a task for me ;).
As I am writing the "Features & Limitations" section, can anybody point me to a list of features / limitations?
I am so much used to using D3D9Client that I can not even remember all the added features (compared to inline graphics)...
Sketchpad2 comes to mind.

Marcin

Reaction score
I have problem with landing on some bodies like Enceladus, where gravity is very low. I got drasticly drope of frame rate when wheels of XR2 vessel touch the ground.
Somebody had sothing like that? What I cab do with this?

AlfreS

Reaction score
Hello everybody.

Could someone please describe how the "enable terrain flattering" function is used in the Advanced Setup of the D3D9 Client?

Thanks in advace!

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Yup! Luckily, I raised very same question recently, resulting in great and very helpful discussion - thanks again everyone!
Just to remind - it is indeed a "flattening" feature, not "landscape-building" feature. Very hard to do any intricate and accurate land shapes. But for flattening - piece of cake!

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Seemingly DirectX 9.0c download has been dead for a few days.
I couldn't find official announcement from Microsoft. I hope this is only temporary, not permanent...

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Seemingly DirectX 9.0c download has been dead for a few days.
I couldn't find official announcement from Microsoft. I hope this is only temporary, not permanent...

Ok, thanks for letting us know. After looking at the error message I got a bad feeling that this might be permanent. Am I gonna be in a trouble if I upload the package on my site ? Do we need all the files or just the June2010_*.cab ?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Am I gonna be in a trouble if I upload the package on my site ?
Obviously not since the files are meant to be redistributed along with the software that uses them.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't get it, why Microsoft is doing this.
I can understand that they don't want to support every old version of everything they published, but removing the "official" link only opens doors to many "virus-patched"
versions all over the net...

@Nikogori : Thanks for that information!

@jarmonik : If we are allowed to distribute the installer (CAB-file?!); should we include it in the D3D9Client zipfile, or should we provide the installer on the D3D9Client site for download and change the link in the documentation (PDF)?
My opinion: It depends on the size ;) ...

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have a directx_Jun2010_redist.exe (100.273.008 Bytes) with an MD5-sum of 4e41372e8775e8025be013480b0629b3 and
I have a directx_Jun2010_redist.exe (100.271.992 Bytes) with an MD5-sum of 7c1fc2021cf57fed3c25c9b03cd0c31a.
What's valid? :(

The first one was downloaded Nov. 2010, the 2nd is from "Internet Archive", so from Feb. 2021 (more or less ;) )

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't get it, why Microsoft is doing this.
I can understand that they don't want to support every old version of everything they published, but removing the "official" link only opens doors to many "virus-patched"
versions all over the net...

I think this is exactly their point: to highlight that the product is dangerously outdated and therefore needs to be shunned. Forcing people to change the running system by means of framing it as security nightmare is a well established strategy for Microsoft, so I'm not surprised here.

I'd also not be surprised if one of those enforced Win10 updates will render DX9 unusable in the future. That would be one sad day for Orbiter.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is it possible to somehow "upgrade" a Graphic Client from DX9 to say DX11 ; or does it mean you have to rewrite everything from scratch ?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is it possible to somehow "upgrade" a Graphic Client from DX9 to say DX11 ; or does it mean you have to rewrite everything from scratch ?
We tried that before, and I must say that it is probably easier to start from scratch. Then again I am not so deep into graphics engine development, so you have to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
100% the same here. I surely can develop all the "framework helpers" like ConfigFileRead, FileIO, RessourceHandling / MemoryManagement, etc. pp.
But when it comes to DirectX, I am not even able to render a single vertex[1] ;)
Setting up a repository with a Visual Studio 2017 Solution to build a DLL is something I also did once (greetings Face :salute:, I assume that's something we both did ;) ),
but that doesn't count as a "GraphicClient" in my view.

[1] yes I know that usually 3 of them are needed to render at least one face, but still

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
@DaveS : Sure. But I can not get any bitbucket link to deliver...
Is there another way to get to asmi's code? A fresh start at github maybe?

I know, it's always a risk to settle on one "service" (CodePlex, bitbucket's mercurial support ,...all went the way of the Dodo), but as long as it's open source code, ist's available and it's relatively easy to submit change-requests it is better than nothing.

Last edited: