New Release D3D9Client Development

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there any way that the water layer specular reflections could be disabled for the cloud layer? Also how hard would it be to implement a bump or normal map for the cloud layer? This would give the clouds some depth.

Will look into the specular issue... I did think about normal mapped clouds several years ago but it would be very difficult to obtain a proper normal maps and it would still be flat.

An other possibility is a mesh based clouds where a mesh would provide some real 3D. Of course, those would need to be covered by particles when viewed from up-close to bringing some detail and volume. Different kind of clouds could have a different altitudes. But that's just an idea, there's lot of design and work required to actually become implemented and I am not an artist so that's a road-block no:1.

Any other ideas for better clouds ?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Any idea how FSX did the clouds? Those look awesome and very realistic. Even by today's standards they hold up very well. Not sure how much they tax a GPU though.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
New Build

New builds are out for 2016 and Beta.

- Changed a default setting of gcGUI not to open side window docks.

- Fixed Olympus vessel shadow issue.
- Cloud layer "specular" rendering improved.

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 ----------

Any idea how FSX did the clouds?

No, not really, haven't used much FSX so I don't know how they look like. I fly with X-Plane. I tried FSX once but the controls were so awkward that I cave up.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
New builds are out for 2016 and Beta.

- Changed a default setting of gcGUI not to open side window docks.

- Fixed Olympus vessel shadow issue.
- Cloud layer "specular" rendering improved.

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 ----------

No, not really, haven't used much FSX so I don't know how they look like. I fly with X-Plane. I tried FSX once but the controls were so awkward that I cave up.
I can confirm that the clouds look better now that they don't reflect the sunlight. And as for how clouds looks like in FSX, do an a Google Image search for "FSX clouds" and it should bring up plenty of screenshots that shows how they look.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can confirm that the clouds look better now that they don't reflect the sunlight. And as for how clouds looks like in FSX, do an a Google Image search for "FSX clouds" and it should bring up plenty of screenshots that shows how they look.

They look very similar in X-Plane. The clouds are particles very much like the smoke/reentry trails we see in Orbiter.

In the Orbiter the clouds from a close up distance would need to be coherent with the clouds/weather patterns seen from orbit. For an example when zooming from surface level through cloud layer to orbital view. This kind of requirement makes the implementation more problematic in Orbiter than in X-Plane or FSX.

Can you view the Earth from orbit in FSX ?

Felix24

Reaction score
The easiest thing to do with what we have would be to generate the normal map using the cloud layer's alpha channel as the bump height. This is assuming that the cloud color is uniformly white everywhere- if there's variation in the color of the clouds apart from the alpha value, then we have a bit more data to work with.

And this would only be for on-orbit viewing. Up close, the clouds would basically look the same as they do now.

Would it be possible to add a normal map cloud microtexture?

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is the new DX9ExtMFD included?

Should be!
Additionally to D3D9Client.dll, DX9ExtMFD.dll and GenericCamera.dll are included.
That is for both, 2016 and BETA zip.

Whether the 2016 zip includes the "new version" you expect...I can't currently say.

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's "simple" - use the global cloud textures to generate your particle placement and density :thumbup:
That has cross my mind, it could improve how the clouds looks from a surface but it would do nothing for orbital views.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
To switch gears for a moment, is there anyway to make vessel structures properly block planet shine? As you can see in the attached screenshot, the PLB is lit up by Earth shine when it it should be pitch black as the PLBDs are closed and the flood lights are off.

Attachments

• Earth_shine_not_blocked_by_structure.jpg
    Earth_shine_not_blocked_by_structure.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 43

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do with what we have would be to generate the normal map using the cloud layer's alpha channel as the bump height. This is assuming that the cloud color is uniformly white everywhere- if there's variation in the color of the clouds apart from the alpha value, then we have a bit more data to work with.

Would it be possible to add a normal map cloud microtexture?

I haven't though of that, I suppose it might work, it's very hard to predict the outcome which could be almost anything, so, testing would be the only way to find out. Normals could be derived in a real-time, so, this is definitely worth of testing.

We have a normal mapped water, so, the same code should work for clouds too but I haven't checked any details yet.

---------- Post added at 04:12 ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 ----------

To switch gears for a moment, is there anyway to make vessel structures properly block planet shine? As you can see in the attached screenshot, the PLB is lit up by Earth shine when it it should be pitch black as the PLBDs are closed and the flood lights are off.

There are some ambient occlusion techniques those could make better and mostly blockable planet shine but we aren't anywhere near there yet. I'll have to think about it a moment if there's a way to block it without AO...

---------- Post added at 04:14 ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 ----------

I've come across this article "Dynamic Volumetric Cloud Rendering for Games on Multi-Core Platforms" a long time ago, which also provides source code which I was able to compile back in 2018...(Lucky Cloud)
Maybe it gives some ideas

Thanks about that, will look into it.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

... pull the shade. :lol:

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Quick question:
Is spacecraft3 compatible with D3D9? I've been away for a while and I don't know if this issue has been fixed...

Kyle_E

Begining Double Bassist
Reaction score
It is with a workaround, but it must be installed on a NTFS filesystem. You need to create symbolic links from the config folder to the /Modules/Server folder. Fortunately it automates this; in Video Options -> Advanced Options there is a button called Create Symbolic links which will do it all for you.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es

Not only albedo illuminates the PLB, also the pad lights at night, or the SRB´s during ascent. In sort, any external light source.

As DaveS said it would be nice if that could be "worked around".

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not only albedo illuminates the PLB, also the pad lights at night, or the SRB´s during ascent. In sort, any external light source.

As DaveS said it would be nice if that could be "worked around".

Could a shield part be added to the mesh that would be invisible in game, but not let light pass through it ? That way you wouldn't get light from the payload bay shining on the wings, through the walls or bay doors.

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
It is with a workaround, but it must be installed on a NTFS filesystem. You need to create symbolic links from the config folder to the /Modules/Server folder. Fortunately it automates this; in Video Options -> Advanced Options there is a button called Create Symbolic links which will do it all for you.

Ok, good to know it! I want all Antares scenarios to work properly with D3D9