New Release D3D9Client Development

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So it is a core Orbiter problem?
Pretty much so.
The last workaround, is it something that would have to be implemented in the core or can it be implemented on the graphics engine level?
No, It would be implemented in SSU. How do you compute the arm_tip[x] vectors ? My quess is that by using "LOCALVECTEXLIST". So, can you modify near zero yaw and roll values before transforming the local vertex list ?

Phoenix

Reaction score
Just a quick post to say that the issue of large blobs of light at base origins, that seemed to affect only Intel graphics chips, appears to have been fixed in the R7 release.

Thanks.

romanasul

Reaction score
Has anybody here tried the TX addon under Directx9? For some reason the animations don't seem to work.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello romanasul,

Has anybody here tried the TX addon under Directx9? For some reason the animations don't seem to work.

Could you be more specific, please? It's hard enough to track down errors, so please make it as easy as possible for a developer to reproduce it.
Thanks,
Kuddel

romanasul

Reaction score
Sorry, by animations I mean the landing gear, canards, basically any moving parts. You cannot see the gear retract or the canards. It shows that they're retracted in the basic cockpit view but when you change camera to the outside they're still deployed.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi again romanasul,

thanks for that clarification, but I still don't know what you mean by 'TX addon' for example.
A quick search at orbithangar gave me at least 3 reasonable addons.
So I should maybe have asked more precise as well -my fault ;)

D3D9Client-Version : [ ... ]
Addon: [ name ]
Download-Link : [ url ]
Preparations: [ any required addons needed as well, e.g. a scenario to start ]
Problem : [ description ]*

/Kuddel

*) you already did that!

---------- Post added at 01:01 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

I tried to reproduce the issue with the following setup:

Orbiter-Version: Latest Beta (r13)
D3D9Client-Version: R7 & R7c
Addon: TX winged space launcher, release 5
Download-Link: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=421"]TX winged space launcher, release 5[/ame]
Preparations: Winged boosters\Tug eXperimental\TX after jettison.scn
Problem: Landing gear is not responding to [G] key.

Here are my findings:
There is a different behaviour between Orbiter (inline graphic client) and
Orbiter_NG (D3D9Client) in that the landing gear of the TX vehicle is retracted when scenario is started under Orbiter, while the landing gear is extracted when the scenario is started under Orbiter_NG. That's something we might take a look at.
But the [G] key doesn't do anything in either Orbiter nor Orbiter_NG. So it might be an incompatibility of the TX vessel as well.
Nevertheless I'll try with the "stable" Orbiter 2010-P1 to see if there's a difference.
See ya,
Kuddel

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 ----------

O.K.
after I did some more digging I found that we (D3D9Client) get informed about animation state changes of the flaps etc. correct, but we never get any animation-state updates for the gear...
Even when I start the Vessel from the runway (where the gears automatically will get retracted under inline-client Orbiter).
Either the addon-author did some (nasty ;) ) tricks to animate the gear retraction, or the Orbiter_NG core does not tell us about all animation state changes (GetAnimPtr(...)).
I've noticed that the TX vessel has 37 animation defined but none of the gear animation-states ever changes.

So: first, the issue is really an issue ;)
and second we have to find out whether it's the addon or the Orbiter-core that is not behaving like we thought.

I would like to try with another addon that has many animations to see whether this might be due to the number of animations.
Do you (or anybody else) know of an addon-vessel with many animated parts?

/Kuddel

KrazyKyle

Reaction score
D3D9not starting

I've done a bit of searching but couldn't seem to find an answer, so please excuse me if this has been covered. But I cannot seem to get this to work. I select the d3d9Client in Orbiter_Ng but I still get just a console window, and no video option in the main orbiter config program.

I also get this error in the log

Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\D3D9Client.dll (code 998)
[Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 612]

I am having the same problem...except I can at least activate the client in the Orbiter Server launchpad window. When I try to start a scenario, I get a DOS window that ends with a command line and a list of possible commands.

Maybe it just a Buckeye problem... haven't seen any other complaints.:hmm:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am having the same problem...except I can at least activate the client in the Orbiter Server launchpad window. When I try to start a scenario, I get a DOS window that ends with a command line and a list of possible commands.

Maybe it just a Buckeye problem... haven't seen any other complaints.:hmm:
Hi there,
it's important to notice what version of Orbiter (Orbiter_ng) is running with what version of D3D9Client.

1. Make sure you have the Direct X 'runtimes' installed
    (see http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/documentation)
  2. D3D9Client R7 is build to run with Orbiter 2010-P1 (v100830)
    (see http://www.orbiter-forum.com/download.php)
  3. After you've installed D3D9Client and have activated the Module under the Modules-Tab you might want to select a fitting resolution under the (now available) Video-Tab.
  4. Make sure that under the Video-Tab you have selected the right video hardware (RBG-Emulation might not be enough ;) )
  5. If you still have no success, it it important that you state at least these information when asking for help:
    Orbiter-Version: [...]
    D3D9Client-Version: [...]
    Addons: [only when the build-in scenarios don#t reproduce the issue]
    Addon-Download-Link: [same rules as above apply here]
    Preparations: [...if any...]
    Problem: [...most do not miss this one ;) ...]

romanasul

Reaction score
Hi again romanasul,

thanks for that clarification, but I still don't know what you mean by 'TX addon' for example.
A quick search at orbithangar gave me at least 3 reasonable addons.
So I should maybe have asked more precise as well -my fault ;)

D3D9Client-Version : [ ... ]
Addon: [ name ]
Download-Link : [ url ]
Preparations: [ any required addons needed as well, e.g. a scenario to start ]
Problem : [ description ]*

/Kuddel

*) you already did that!

---------- Post added at 01:01 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

I tried to reproduce the issue with the following setup:

Orbiter-Version: Latest Beta (r13)
D3D9Client-Version: R7 & R7c
Addon: TX winged space launcher, release 5
Download-Link: TX winged space launcher, release 5
Preparations: Winged boosters\Tug eXperimental\TX after jettison.scn
Problem: Landing gear is not responding to [G] key.

Here are my findings:
There is a different behaviour between Orbiter (inline graphic client) and
Orbiter_NG (D3D9Client) in that the landing gear of the TX vehicle is retracted when scenario is started under Orbiter, while the landing gear is extracted when the scenario is started under Orbiter_NG. That's something we might take a look at.
But the [G] key doesn't do anything in either Orbiter nor Orbiter_NG. So it might be an incompatibility of the TX vessel as well.
Nevertheless I'll try with the "stable" Orbiter 2010-P1 to see if there's a difference.
See ya,
Kuddel

---------- Post added at 01:42 ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 ----------

O.K.
after I did some more digging I found that we (D3D9Client) get informed about animation state changes of the flaps etc. correct, but we never get any animation-state updates for the gear...
Even when I start the Vessel from the runway (where the gears automatically will get retracted under inline-client Orbiter).
Either the addon-author did some (nasty ;) ) tricks to animate the gear retraction, or the Orbiter_NG core does not tell us about all animation state changes (GetAnimPtr(...)).
I've noticed that the TX vessel has 37 animation defined but none of the gear animation-states ever changes.

So: first, the issue is really an issue ;)
and second we have to find out whether it's the addon or the Orbiter-core that is not behaving like we thought.

I would like to try with another addon that has many animations to see whether this might be due to the number of animations.
Do you (or anybody else) know of an addon-vessel with many animated parts?

/Kuddel

Hi Kuddel, I found another addon that seems to have the same problem as kulch's TX: http://simviation.com/1/browse-Space+Orbiter-111-0
It's called NASA Aircraft Fleet by David413. It exhibits the same problems, when you retract the gear there's no animation.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, but is it possible to disable anisotropic filtering? Setting its configuration option to zero does not work. Anisotropy just does not work well with Orbiter IMO, and causes virtual cockpits to become blurry and unreadable.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you override in the display drivers?

Yes, but it doesn't have an "Off" setting, either.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Nevermind the question; disabling advanced texture maps disallows filtering, because the mipmaps go away entirely.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Nevermind the question; disabling advanced texture maps disallows filtering, because the mipmaps go away entirely.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before, but is it possible to disable anisotropic filtering? Setting its configuration option to zero does not work. Anisotropy just does not work well with Orbiter IMO, and causes virtual cockpits to become blurry and unreadable.

Blurry VC is usually a result from a badly pre-filtered mipmaps in textures. Can you check the texture mipmap levels using a DDS viewer, that, they are sharp and good from the first place.

Currently, you can change the filtering from D3D9Client.fx located in /Modules/D3D9Client/. Just find the word "ANISOTROPIC" and change it to "LINEAR" or "POINT".

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:08 ----------

That option should only effect in normal and specular maps. It should not effect in mipmaps nor filter settings.

Felix24

Reaction score
I know the Orbiter in-line client doesn't do this, but it would be nice to see cloud maps implemented similar to planet textures, i.e. able to display at Level 9 and higher.

I was able to make a working Level 9 cloud texture using texbuild (I put it on orbithangar), but texbuild can't go any higher, and the source material is a Level 10 map. It would be really nice to introduce support for higher-resolution cloud maps, like what has been done for the ground textures.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
question: can I disable "d3d debug window" to not appear in "Custom Functions"

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
There is no condition that can prevent creating it in custom commands at this time. DebugControls::Create() which registers it as custom command is called always, and there's no condition just for oapiRegisterCustomCmd inside it, either.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Currenty not, I'm afraid.
But that "feature" could be implemented if it makes sense.
Could you possibly describe the benefit of that in more detail?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Could you possibly describe the benefit of that in more detail?
The benefit is not seeing functions which you don't use and don't want to be listed there. :p

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As developer I need to check my progress (how mesh looks in orbiter in many iterations), so I use scenario editor a lot for vessel spawning.

D3d9 debug window is first so it slows me down as I need to precisely point scn editor instead of clicking whatever appears in custom functions.

I know it's minor problem but I'm used to having only scenario editor in custom functions.