New Release D3D9Client Development

romanasul

Reaction score
As developer I need to check my progress (how mesh looks in orbiter in many iterations), so I use scenario editor a lot for vessel spawning.

D3d9 debug window is first so it slows me down as I need to precisely point scn editor instead of clicking whatever appears in custom functions.

I know it's minor problem but I'm used to having only scenario editor in custom functions.

The easiest way to overcome this problem is by deselecting all the modules. Afterwards, switch them back on but switch Scenario editor first followed by Directx9 and so on.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The easiest way to overcome this problem is by deselecting all the modules. Afterwards, switch them back on but switch Scenario editor first followed by Directx9 and so on.
Wow! You always learn something here at the forum :thumbup:
I somehow didn't expected that the module order would change the order of any registered CustomCmds, but it's kind of logical when you think about the initialization of modules.
/Kuddel

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

That's genius. Thank you very much :D

kuddel: consider my request obsolete

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What should we do with the missing solar plants, mono rails and hangrails ?

Do we implement exact copies from the inline-engine or do we implement an improved versions of them. Of course, in that case they might look a little better but existing texture add-ons would not work with them.

Is there anyone out-there willing to create the meshes and textures for them and keep the polygon count low enough not to cause any performance impact ?

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi jarmonik I am having problems with the symbolic links on win XP32 every time I delete a file from orbiter config and later go to empty out my recycle bin it deletes my orbiter config, and sound folders from my default orbiter install,the same thing happens in my modules server folder for D3d9 also.the monorails,hangrails,and solar plants could there be a way to be able to use the older ones for the addons that need them,but be able to use the modern ones too if so chooses?thanks

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi jarmonik I am having problems with the symbolic links on win XP32 every time I delete a file from orbiter config and later go to empty out my recycle bin it deletes my orbiter config, and sound folders from my default orbiter install,the same thing happens in my modules server folder for D3d9 also.the monorails,hangrails,and solar plants could there be a way to be able to use the older ones for the addons that need them,but be able to use the modern ones too if so chooses?thanks

Ok,after reinstalling everything over,I.haven"t had this problem occur again,weird.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is it possible to modify one of the D3D9Client *.fx files to make emissive particle streams cast shadows like the diffuse ones already does?

Phoenix

Reaction score
This post may not be relevant to most people, but a quick tip for those who don't have a graphics chip capable of anti-aliasing polygons, you may still be able to get anti-aliased line drawing if you make a small addition to the "SceneTech.fx" file, which is found in the "Orbiter/Modules/D3D9Client" folder.

In the part of the file that has this,

Code:
technique LineTech
{
    pass P0
    {
        vertexShader = compile vs_2_0 LineTechVS();
        pixelShader  = compile ps_2_0 LineTechPS();
        ZEnable = false;
        AlphaBlendEnable = false;   
    }
}

change the "AlphaBlendEnable" line to true, and add the line "AntiAliasedLineEnable = true;" after the line AlphaBlendEnable. Doing this makes the grid and constellation lines in the celestial sphere look much better. As of yet, I haven't been able to get the line drawing in MFDs to be anti-aliased.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is it possible to have Orbiter stretched onto 2 screens with D3Dx9 ?

Like this ?

Attachments

• dual_screen.jpg
    dual_screen.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 63

mikes

Reaction score
XR2 display with DX9 R7 client

Hello orbinauts,
I found out a small problem that anoys me a bit. I use clean installation of Orbiter 100830 with DX9 R7 client, with Orbiter Sound 4.0. Everything works fine except the small display in XR2 latest release as showed in attachements. It seem that it flickered and numbers are drawed blurry as shown in these two pictures. Also other screens which can be switched in this small mfd have similar problem. With inbuild dx7 client is this display without problem. I use Ati HD 4850 on default frequencies and winxp 32bit. I would ask if anyone have similar problem or what is the workaround for this.

Thanks in advance
Have a nice day.

Attachments

• display1.jpg
    display1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 50
  • display2.jpg
    display2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 57

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi mikes,

have you tried changing the "Font rendering" to another value?
It is set to "Proof Quality" as default; so maybe trying another option ("Cleartype", "Default" or "Crisp") might help.

For details, see : http://d3d9client.codeplex.com/documentation

/Kuddel

mikes

Reaction score
I tried out all four font renderings but nothing solved the problem. Thanks anyway.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is it possible to modify one of the D3D9Client *.fx files to make emissive particle streams cast shadows like the diffuse ones already does?

Unfortunately no, do they cast shadows in the inline-engine ?

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Is it possible to have Orbiter stretched onto 2 screens with D3Dx9 ?
Like this ?

I have never tried. Doesn't it work if you stretch your windows desktop in both screens like that and you use a fullscreen window ?

EDIT: D3D9Client R8 is out now.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for your ongoing work on this, Jarmo!

One question: is the beta version for the last revision in Martin's beta repository (trunk@20), or is it some other revision?

Please forgive me if the info is already there somewhere. I skimmed the thread, the doc in the appropriate ZIP and the Codeplex site, unfortunately without luck.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
One question: is the beta version for the last revision in Martin's beta repository (trunk@20), or is it some other revision?
The version of API used for it is 121222 (r19), but it should be working just fine with r20 [130101], as there were no changes to the graphics API since then.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Unfortunately no, do they cast shadows in the inline-engine ?

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

I have never tried. Doesn't it work if you stretch your windows desktop in both screens like that and you use a fullscreen window ?

EDIT: D3D9Client R8 is out now.

It works, thanks alot.

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Multi-card installations

How do I get the client to recognize more than one graphics card? I have an MSI laptop with a GeForce GTX 670M and an Intel HD 4000; the latter always comes up when I start Orbiter, and I cannot select another.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Surface base beacons aren't available to graphics client without a hack, similarly like runway lights. I guess they haven't been implemented yet using similar hack that allows runway lights, by parsing configuration files for them. This is primarily not an issue of graphics client, but rather lack of server interface, which would allow for them to be displayed without using such hacks.

Also, you don't need to report TRAIN or SOLARPLANT issues, as it's the same case.

Has there been any updates on the functionality of surface base beacons, or TRAIN, or SOLARPLANT?