Project D3D11Client Development

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere to make it 6 pixels bigger both sides, in order to allow space for window borders.
Doesn't it depend on the used theme, or the set window border size, and not is always 6 px (the same applies to the caption)?

You can get those dimensions from GetSystemMetrics in WinAPI.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere to make it 6 pixels bigger both sides, in order to allow space for window borders.
No, it's actually different depending on your theme (different themes can have different borders) and DPI. For my laptop, the actual window size is 1286x753.

Reaction score
Some more very quick testing:-

Terminator is a little abrupt

picture.php

Tile to the SW of Hawaii not blending:

picture.php

I have surface texture issues. Not sure how long they've been there - I had only previously tested on-orbit scenarios (and hadn't checked out rwy lights, for example). Not sure if this is user error or not (in terms of texture installation). I seem to have two sets of surface textures, with one set obscuring the other (and 3D objects) until the camera altitude is about 300m:

picture.php

picture.php

Intel HD 3000 graphics

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some more very quick testing:-<skipped>
Thanks for reporting! Can you please do me a favor - create a completely fresh installation of Orbiter beta, add our client and check if problem persists. Then please use texture pack "Earth L11-L14" from here: http://downloadorbitersim.com/?page_id=42 - I'm using that and so it's confirmed to work just fine. If it works fine with that setup, than there is something wrong with additions you have installed, so keep adding whatever additions you've got installed in your main installation one by one and check every time if problem appeared. Most likely you have some conflicting sets of textures, they can also cause this issue with missing specular highlight.

Namahage

Reaction score
Thanks. Your dxdiag output seems fine. I've corrected link on the instructions page - thanks for the notice btw. Now I'm still not quite clear on one thing - have you actually installed that DirectX update? Of not - please do and see what happens.

Apologies for the ambiguity. I have installed the update two times for good measure. Still the crash persists.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Nothing really new to report. Been flitting around a bit between the moon and Luna-OB1, with no crashes or glaring errors. Here are a few screen shots to show what I'm seeing on my end.

deltagliderrc3464a.jpg

deltagliderrc3464c.jpg

deltagliderrc3464d.jpg

Am I missing some textures on Luna-OB1, or is that just what it looks like? I have to admit I haven't played with that station much.

Also, time acceleration produces constant screen flashing and flickering.

If I have the time this weekend, I might try running a complete AMSO trip to the moon and back under this client, just to check compatibility.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting! Can you please do me a favor - create a completely fresh installation of Orbiter beta, add our client and check if problem persists. Then please use texture pack "Earth L11-L14" from here: http://downloadorbitersim.com/?page_id=42 - I'm using that and so it's confirmed to work just fine. If it works fine with that setup, than there is something wrong with additions you have installed, so keep adding whatever additions you've got installed in your main installation one by one and check every time if problem appeared. Most likely you have some conflicting sets of textures, they can also cause this issue with missing specular highlight.

A clean installation of the Orbiter100830.zip updated with Orbiter111105-100830diff.7z and D3D11 RC 34.64 with base textures displays this problem (default D3D11 client settings). There is no issue with the inline graphics client. Installing the Earth L11-L14 textures makes no difference - the issue is still there. Having tested with D3D11 only, I installed the D3D7 and D3D9 clients, and neither exhibited the problem. I have the same problem with Habana Spaceport and Brighton Beach - maybe some issue with the tiling?

@Mandella: you have the stock Luna-OB1, I had tested with ar81's update [ame=http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2737]here[/ame]

Last edited:

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Apologies for the ambiguity. I have installed the update two times for good measure. Still the crash persists.
Hmm, that's weird. I think we gonna have to ask Glider to take a look, since I've run out of ideas...

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Nothing really new to report. Been flitting around a bit between the moon and Luna-OB1, with no crashes or glaring errors. Here are a few screen shots to show what I'm seeing on my end.

deltagliderrc3464a.jpg

deltagliderrc3464c.jpg

deltagliderrc3464d.jpg

Am I missing some textures on Luna-OB1, or is that just what it looks like? I have to admit I haven't played with that station much.
That's the way it looks on my systems too. I guess that is just the way it's supposed to be :lol:

Also, time acceleration produces constant screen flashing and flickeri0ng.
Can you please describe this in more details?

If I have the time this weekend, I might try running a complete AMSO trip to the moon and back under this client, just to check compatibility.
That would be great - we can never get too much of a testing.

Astronut25

Reaction score
For my Orbiter installation I've had a lot of mods in it, and the DX11 clients have been fine with that up to the 20 Jan 2012 version, but after that, many of the mods dont work. It loads up and when its ready to begin the simulation, it will just show a white screen.

I havent found a pattern to which ones dont work yet, they appear to be random.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Can you please describe this in more details?

Uhm. Well, that about describes it. It's almost like bad reception on an old TV set -- there is some banding, and the light level flickers up and down rapidly. Doesn't happen at all under x1, but it seems to be about the same amount of flickering at anything higher.

Tell you what. Let me update Fraps on this machine, and see if I can put together a short video of the problem...

Here we go:

http://youtu.be/ERtUNeEdk4U

Last edited:

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
I have that flickering too, and it seems to be the post-processing, as it disappears completely if I turn that off in the D3DX11 options.
It's like the glows can't decide on a level to stay at, so they fluctuate subtly at 1x time, and much more wildly as the time acceleration is increased.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For my Orbiter installation I've had a lot of mods in it, and the DX11 clients have been fine with that up to the 20 Jan 2012 version, but after that, many of the mods dont work. It loads up and when its ready to begin the simulation, it will just show a white screen.

I havent found a pattern to which ones dont work yet, they appear to be random.
Can you please post some examples of mods that have stopped working?

Uhm. Well, that about describes it. It's almost like bad reception on an old TV set -- there is some banding, and the light level flickers up and down rapidly. Doesn't happen at all under x1, but it seems to be about the same amount of flickering at anything higher.

Tell you what. Let me update Fraps on this machine, and see if I can put together a short video of the problem...

Here we go:

http://youtu.be/ERtUNeEdk4U
I have that flickering too, and it seems to be the post-processing, as it disappears completely if I turn that off in the D3DX11 options.
It's like the glows can't decide on a level to stay at, so they fluctuate subtly at 1x time, and much more wildly as the time acceleration is increased.
Hmm. What version are you using? Are you using the latest version from my source control? I remember this issue, I've fixed it quite some time ago - at least I thought so...

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
I'm pretty sure I was using the latest version but I made sure to download and install it again anyway, but it's still doing it. I tried turning off everything *except* the post-processing, as well as just fiddling with all sorts of permutations with the options in general, but nothing seems to affect it.
It seems like it's trying to constantly get brighter in the external view, then if I switch to internal it gets reset and starts to climb in brightness again. Using time acceleration gives it a kick and causes it to increase faster when I switch back to normal time until my DG looks like it's about to melt (which would look awesome down around Mercury, and I assume is the intention).
And yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss I have all the latest drivers for everything, and even tried both the latest stable video drivers as well as a just-released beta, and don't have my graphics card options set to do anything to Orbiter from the outside.
Specs are:
Win 7 Home x64
AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @3.8
GTX570 (I *have* heard this can have some problems with DX11)
8 GB DDR2

I don't doubt you've fixed it but there's probably some little box somewhere I'm forgetting to (un)check, or at least we've found it's symptomatic of something deeper. I tried doing a few searches for the issue to see how anyone else might have solved it but search has been working weird for me lately and not turning up posts I know for a fact exist.

Last edited:

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I was using the latest version but I made sure to download and install it again anyway, but it's still doing it. I tried turning off everything *except* the post-processing, as well as just fiddling with all sorts of permutations with the options in general, but nothing seems to affect it.
It seems like it's trying to constantly get brighter in the external view, then if I switch to internal it gets reset and starts to climb in brightness again. Using time acceleration gives it a kick and causes it to increase faster when I switch back to normal time until my DG looks like it's about to melt (which would look awesome down around Mercury, and I assume is the intention).
And yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssss I have all the latest drivers for everything, and even tried both the latest stable video drivers as well as a just-released beta, and don't have my graphics card options set to do anything to Orbiter from the outside.
Specs are:
Win 7 Home x64
AMD Phenom II x6 1100T @3.8
GTX570 (I *have* heard this can have some problems with DX11)
8 GB DDR2

I don't doubt you've fixed it but there's probably some little box somewhere I'm forgetting to (un)check, or at least we've found it's symptomatic of something deeper. I tried doing a few searches for the issue to see how anyone else might have solved it but search has been working weird for me lately and not turning up posts I know for a fact exist.
That's weird... Ok, I've made some changes, so now HDR adaptation rate doesn't depend on acceleration - please give it a try and let me know if it helps or not...

ggrof

Reaction score
My Orbiter_ng doesn´t work with the 111105 version. It just not open...

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My Orbiter_ng doesn´t work with the 111105 version. It just not open...
Well it does for quite some people, so there is some sort of problem on your side. And what exactly do you mean by "It just not open"?

P.S. note for moderators - if it's possible please move this discussion to the discussion thread, so this one will contain instructions only.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
That's weird... Ok, I've made some changes, so now HDR adaptation rate doesn't depend on acceleration - please give it a try and let me know if it helps or not...

Whatever you did seems to have fixed it for me.

:thumbup:

ggrof

Reaction score
I´ve deleted the Orbiter_ng.cfg This version doensn´t work with D3D9