Update Arrow Freighter version 2012 updated (screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fisherman

Reaction score
It does fly through an atmosphere, though aerodynamics are really not its strength.

But you can sure also think of the stuff as antennas or sensor mounts. Maybe even radiator surfaces.

EDIT: A camera view from one of the "wings" to the elevator wouldn't be bad... could be useful for landing.

True but I might be temped to just hack off the rudder and wings and leave it in space and it would have a DGIV in the docking bay to land with. Of course it could still land on moons and planets without much gravity.

Can't wait for the new one. It'll be great! Tuesday? LOL

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
If it doesn't fly through an atmosphere, why does it need a rudder at all?

The "excuse" for the shaped hull and wings are that it's designed *also* for moon operation with atmosphere like Titan. The shaped hull make it easier to construct to be pressurized, fly trough & resist aggressive chimic condition and even if it manoeuver at low speed in such atmosphere the wings can help control and contain also more effective RCS (as they are far from center). (As well of course as antenna and such)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One good idea would be unpacked cargo with extension and "L" adapter for dock. This might give good mission ? (Don't know if it would be easy to dock such extension with an Ummu without the dock MFD)
That does sound like a painful thing for a basic user to do, especially if the combination lift/dock is overly complicated.

The luminous dock markers are a great addition! I think they could be extended to markers acrossthe whole hull, guiding EVA crew around the bay and cargo racks in the dark.

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Yeah, I always figured they were aerials and radiators more than just fins.

In any case, get in my hard drive, new Arrow!

EnDSchultz

Reaction score
Agreed. Can't wait to also pair it with the DX9 compatible DGIV!

Fisherman

Reaction score
Agreed. Can't wait to also pair it with the DX9 compatible DGIV!

Yes, das what I'm talkin' 'bout! :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Now it needs a John Deere skin!

Fisherman

Reaction score
My barn, my cows, my tractor, my sheep, my farm? :lol:

You should see my next door neighbor's place. They painted their shed, workshop, barn, horse stalls all John Deere green and yellow. Got a big JD tractor out there, an old JD riding mower and a toy JD tractor back there for the grand children to play with. They have JD tee shirts and ball caps. They started to paint their house green and yellow but stopped at the last moment. LOL

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
When it comes to skinning my Arrow, just two words: "Pimpmobile Purple"
No rims to spin but I got a gravity wheel.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
That does sound like a painful thing for a basic user to do, especially if the combination lift/dock is overly complicated.

I don't know if it was clear so one image...

No Dock/lift but one cargo with a "L" connector that you can add to existing dock to do such things: Carry another vessel for trip.
Docking such connector using Ummu might not be for basic user, but adding it to dock using scenery editor is a piece of cake.

That might still be more gracefull than adding fantom dock.

2012Arrow45.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

No Dock/lift but one cargo with a "L" connector that you can add to existing dock to do such things: Carry another vessel for trip.
Docking such connector using Ummu might not be for basic user, but adding it to dock using scenery editor is a piece of cake.

Mhhh just made one fast try, two dock connector lead to problems it seem. (Or my test was messed?)

Maybe I should add an "extend DOCK2" button that will put it in this position ?

Dan

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score

That might still be more gracefull than adding fantom dock.

2012Arrow45.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Mhhh just made one fast try, two dock connector lead to problems it seem. (Or my test was messed?)

Maybe I should add an "extend DOCK2" button that will put it in this position ?

Dan
I think the"extend DOCK2" is a great idea,and the all the new updates look fantastic.:cheers:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If it doesn't fly through an atmosphere, why does it need a rudder at all?

But you can sure also think of the stuff as antennas or sensor mounts. Maybe even radiator surfaces.

I had always thought that the aft-most wings served a double-purpose: Aerofoil and a physical spacing between the main hull and a large RTG of some sort (assuming the vehicle isn't electrically powered by fuel cells or anything similar, of course). Or a miscellaneous electronics pod as Urwumpe suggests.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I think the"extend DOCK2" is a great idea,and the all the new updates look fantastic.:cheers:

Well, that's dumb, it's not so difficult to do except the place on the panel ("extend dock 2" button don't fit well and compress too much other buttons)

So unless everyone vote for it I'll not do it for this release, sorry. Imho one vessel to carry in bay is enough for almost all operations ?

Interceptor

Reaction score
It's your ship Dan,do with it what you want,and which ever way it turns out it will still be a great update.

Last edited:

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The "excuse" for the shaped hull and wings are that it's designed *also* for moon operation with atmosphere like Titan. The shaped hull make it easier to construct to be pressurized, fly trough & resist aggressive chimic condition and even if it manoeuver at low speed in such atmosphere the wings can help control and contain also more effective RCS (as they are far from center). (As well of course as antenna and such)

Hello, grateful for the new phase of evolution of the arrow I have always thought that the cargo area and wheel centrifuge spin, lacked thermal shield, and penalized the aerodynamics of the ship, maybe a wine that is made ​​up of petals open in space , could give protecion in atmospheres and serve as radiators in space, as well as the line would improve aerodynamics in space.
Greetings.

Attachments

• Arrowidea.jpg
    Arrowidea.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Kobayashi

Kobanauta
Reaction score
I Dan, the Arrow will be awesome, more than it is now.
I had been reading this thread and i see a great improvement.

But i got a question and it is not for the Arrow, but for the DGIV instead.

Well two questions...

1º Are you going to make an update for DGIV with the Arrow release?

2º If there is an update, it is possible to update the autopilot PRO104 to accept smallest values for AoA?

I now those questions are a bit off-topic.

Ok, thats all, thanks so much for all yours releases, even for FSPassanger that i also own and enjoy.

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Hello, grateful for the new phase of evolution of the arrow I have always thought that the cargo area and wheel centrifuge spin, lacked thermal shield, and penalized the aerodynamics of the ship, maybe a wine that is made ​​up of petals open in space , could give protecion in atmospheres and serve as radiators in space, as well as the line would improve aerodynamics in space.
Greetings.

Interesting concept, and I agree that a system like that would make it more aerodynamic in atmo. But, the petals would probably get in the way of the new docking ports and make cargo transfers unnecessarily complicated.

Actually, now that I think about it, it would probably be impossible to open while landed.

And as for the "extend DOCK2". Dan, you've already done more than enough for us with these new updates. If it's too much of a hassle to find space for a new button, don't worry about it. I'm sure we'll be able to make do with just the new docking ports that have already been added.:tiphat:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Almost finished (before beta) let's speak about some default skins.
The 360° UVW mapping allow all fantasy even if the egg form introduce some deformation that you must compensate. (had an hard time with those uvw)

The nasa skin have a white layer so it look more "new" and neutral.

2012Arrow46.jpg

Last edited:

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Heh. Looks like the Pirate Arrow is preparing to conduct boarding operations. :lol:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
NASA and ESA skins at least will have two versions: one White/New and one "Dark/Old"
This may satisfy all tastes. The white look more like actual space vessel.

Also one may start a trip with the "new" and finish with the "old".

2012Arrow47.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.