Update Arrow Freighter version 2012 updated (screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Getting a XR-5 would be a tight squeeze.

How about moving the port 90° down on the side? That way there should be room enough for most craft. If it was on the port side, the trip from the EVA port would be short.

And since this is for crew/cargo transfer only, would it be hard to make the dock "fail" during propulsion? Just undock any craft if main or hover engines are engaged.

Well, once connected no need to EVA, you ingress the ship by crew transfer.

Dock fail would be easy but yet as the Arrow don't have full "realist" system I don't like much to limit users. If one want to travel with apples glued all around in contradiction with all structural and CG constraint, why not ?

What ya think ?

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[/COLOR]And one more, useful for EVA engine inspection.

2012Arrow40.jpg

I think the rear one might be better on the underside, so a ship has more clearance (no worries of hitting aft rudder). Just my opinion.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, once connected no need to EVA, you ingress the ship by crew transfer.

I didn't explain myself well enough. :blush:
I was thinking of EVAs to transfer cargo, if someone wants to "carry" the crates to the storage area.

And you are absolutely right about the failing dock thing. It was a kind of brainstorm idea, and not very well thought through. Sometime you miss when you shoot from the hip. :lol:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I have to say, those dg's docked to the topside look sweet!

Someone here on the forum had talked about changing a line in the Arrow cfg(I think) that apparently adds a 'phantom' port on the aft underside, which is where I had imagined docking the XR5 would be easiest. XR5 nose forward, of course. Though I guess that would put the payload bay some distance from the cargo racks.

Thank you very much for reconsidering this!:salute:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Someone here on the forum had talked about changing a line in the Arrow cfg(I think) that apparently adds a 'phantom' port on the aft underside, which is where I had imagined docking the XR5 would be easiest. XR5 nose forward, of course. Though I guess that would put the payload bay some distance from the cargo racks.
Indeed you can. Currently my Arrow has five docking ports. The ability to add docking ports to anything is highly useful to unusal user-specific situations.

TerraMimic

Reaction score
Of course, there's also the SAS addon docking ports. Haven't actually had the chance to try them, so I can't say how well it really works. But, it does prove the need for additional docking for the Arrow.

And I can't wait till this update is out. It looks great so far!

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good idea but I must thinks about the Xr5, just tested, the better seem this ?

2012Arrow41.jpg

Also the bay of a DGIV- XR2 would be on the side, not too far.

Dan

Sorry, stupid reminder, but dont forget the IDS! :)

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

You can take my word for it: the SAS is great:thumbup: The Iron Hill Project would have been a lot harder without it:)

What exactly is Iron hill?

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
The Iron Hill Project is a manned mission to Mercury. The goal is to build a five-man scientific habitat at Chao-Meng-Fu crater near the south pole. There will be two crews: the first will stay from August 2012 to February 2013, the second from February to May 2013.

PM me if you're interested in joining;)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Iron Hill Project is a manned mission to Mercury. The goal is to build a five-man scientific habitat at Chao-Meng-Fu crater near the south pole. There will be two crews: the first will stay from August 2012 to February 2013, the second from February to May 2013.

PM me if you're interested in joining;)

Thanks for the offer, but already been once. Not very much to see (without orulex anyways). So you're
doing it in real time?

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
The new right panel.

Notice the exit selection (Dock1->Dock2->Dock3->Eva 01->Crew lift), now the cargo browse have a "+/-". You have a cargo release speed setting (rocket release bug have been cleared) and some other adjustments here &there.

2012Arrow43.jpg

Wait a minute, with this additional docks, does it mean it can dock to the ISS now? sweet!

Check & set, dock 5 and 1 work without touching anything:

2012Arrow42.jpg

Sorry, stupid reminder, but dont forget the IDS! :)

Done already , I checked with a DGIV in auto dock.

Last edited:

Raven

Reaction score
I've been using a docking point at the end of the crew lift. When fully extended, it works like an umbilicus and allows enough clearance for docking with ISS and XR5. If it were rigged so that extending the lift also "opens" the port, it would be a bit more realistic and prevent docking to an invisible point.

Here are the coordinates if anyone wants to try it:

BEGIN_DOCKLIST
0 -21.95 20.45 0 -1 0 0 0 -1
END_DOCKLIST

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I've been using a docking point at the end of the crew lift. When fully extended, it works like an umbilicus and allows enough clearance for docking with ISS and XR5. If it were rigged so that extending the lift also "opens" the port, it would be a bit more realistic and prevent docking to an invisible point.

Here are the coordinates if anyone wants to try it:

BEGIN_DOCKLIST
0 -21.95 20.45 0 -1 0 0 0 -1
END_DOCKLIST

That's a good idea but unfortunately I'll not add it by default. The concept of double usage "crew/dock" make too much texts for displays/help and is too complicated for basic users.
If at one time I add one animated dock maybe on the roof dock ? (Dock 02)

One good idea would be unpacked cargo with extension and "L" adapter for dock. This might give good mission ? (Don't know if it would be easy to dock such extension with an Ummu without the dock MFD)

Dan

Fisherman

Reaction score
I think the rear one might be better on the underside, so a ship has more clearance (no worries of hitting aft rudder). Just my opinion.

If it doesn't fly through an atmosphere, why does it need a rudder at all?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If it doesn't fly through an atmosphere, why does it need a rudder at all?

It does fly through an atmosphere, though aerodynamics are really not its strength.

But you can sure also think of the stuff as antennas or sensor mounts. Maybe even radiator surfaces.

EDIT: A camera view from one of the "wings" to the elevator wouldn't be bad... could be useful for landing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.