Update Arrow Freighter version 2012 updated (screenshots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice! Is the white layer included in the skin SDK?

I'd also like to request a few more basic 'numbered' skins, like UCGO Freighter 12, or UCGO Freighter 6, 18 being the default as usual.

Edit: Or maybe just a layer in the skin SDK containing the 0-9 numerals in that font and shading. It would be quicker to compose, and then users could use whatever numbers they want.

Last edited:

Fisherman

Reaction score
Can't wait for Tuesday! Looking forward to the new DGIV as well. It's my favorite DG. Will the skins that I've downloaded work with the new one? How do I change the default skin when creating a new DGIV in the scenario editor?

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't wait for Tuesday! Looking forward to the new DGIV as well. It's my favorite DG. Will the skins that I've downloaded work with the new one? How do I change the default skin when creating a new DGIV in the scenario editor?
When you "edit" a DGIV in the "scenario editor," there should be a button labeled "DGIV Repaint center." I believe the skins should be in the "Orbiter2010\Textures2\DGIV\SKIN" directory.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Nice! Is the white layer included in the skin SDK?

I'd also like to request a few more basic 'numbered' skins, like UCGO Freighter 12, or UCGO Freighter 6, 18 being the default as usual.

Edit: Or maybe just a layer in the skin SDK containing the 0-9 numerals in that font and shading. It would be quicker to compose, and then users could use whatever numbers they want.

Yes of course both "white" and "dark" version will be included as well as font and blank (simple) version for fast text/number editing.

I may provide also a "simple layered" version for gimp and an advanced one for photoshop, I use a brighness/contrast layer that give the best result but I'm not sure gimp understand it.

---------------------

About DGIV nothing change to skin.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just had another idea. :hide:

A [change skin] button on a control panel looks weird to me. A complete repaint doesn't usually involve buttons. What if the "button" was hidden? It could be a picture on the wall or a technical diagram. Or a lamp. Or just about anything. :)

The problem is that the user has to know where the "button" is, but that's what manuals are for.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes of course both "white" and "dark" version will be included as well as font and blank (simple) version for fast text/number editing.

I may provide also a "simple layered" version for gimp and an advanced one for photoshop, I use a brighness/contrast layer that give the best result but I'm not sure gimp understand it.

Oh yes, please do!

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I just had another idea. :hide:
A [change skin] button on a control panel looks weird to me. A complete repaint doesn't usually involve buttons. What if the "button" was hidden? It could be a picture on the wall or a technical diagram. Or a lamp. Or just about anything. :)

The problem is that the user has to know where the "button" is, but that's what manuals are for.

Who read manual ? :)

I don't think it's so bad to have such button but I can make it smaller.

Dan

Fisherman

Reaction score
When you "edit" a DGIV in the "scenario editor," there should be a button labeled "DGIV Repaint center." I believe the skins should be in the "Orbiter2010\Textures2\DGIV\SKIN" directory.

Yes, I know that. What I was curious about was not having to edit them but find out where the default skin is defined. I don't mind changing them in the editor though.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's too bad Photoshop is so damn expensive. The simple version that Gimp can understand is very much appreciated. :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Same here. However, it's usually safe to assume the other 2000 people who will eventually download this won't. :p

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Same here. However, it's usually safe to assume the other 2000 people who will eventually download this won't. :p

True, but isn't that their problem? :lol:

Fisherman

Reaction score
I read them and leave them open in the background sometimes.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I read them and leave them open in the background sometimes.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me that there is a need for a 'kneeboard' addon of sorts for Orbiter. Not just for casual reading during long flights, but also for manuals, pre-flight checklists and the like.

I'm considering developing something like this, but I really need to finish my other project first.

Mulling over starting it anyway, because all the DSVs in Orbiter, the Arrow especially, seem to be screaming for it.

I'll no longer bring it up off-topic here. Look for a project discussion thread soon.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's becoming more and more apparent to me that there is a need for a 'kneeboard' addon of sorts for Orbiter. Not just for casual reading during long flights, but also for manuals, pre-flight checklists and the like.

I recommend reading section 6 of Orbiter.pdf (p.31) ;)

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"A manual is only one persons opinion on how things should be done":rofl:...
Yeah, I read them to (usually after I screw up the first few times)

Mythos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Dan,

I very like the Arrow and this new version looks great :thumbup:

I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere before: Did you ever notice that if putting a DGIV into safe mode while docked to Arrow the crew is not listed in Arrow and not consuming O2? So I always turn off some more systems to avoid safe mode and then eva manually, then crew is really in the Arrow. Maybe this easily fixed for next version.

The combo Arrow with docked DGIV is my favorite team for interplanetary flight. So I agree it would be a bad idea to crash the docking when applying thrust as suggested before. I always imagine some arresting hooks holding my DGIV into docking bay since a nosecone-dock is of couse not for that purpose.

Maybe later there could be a button "arrest" to do some visual thing. Ramming a bar into the vessel mesh at dock level would be ok, I could think of it to have stopped at vessels hull. And maybe then the vessels data could be stored and the whole vessel replaced by an only-mesh version. This would allow landing with docked vessel. Just an idea.

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

And for that...
A [change skin] button on a control panel looks weird to me. A complete repaint doesn't usually involve buttons.
Didn't you notice all these little robots being activated by that button, crawling all over the Arrow and using brushes to paint it all over? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.