AMSO AMSO for Orbiter 2016 released

barrygolden

Reaction score
Just took a quick look at what you are talking about but AAPO and AMSO CSM's conf's don't look the same in 2010

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I preferred AAPO because of the retractable high gain antenna and the SLA panels which are actually part of the CSM vessel. With AMSO I'm unsure how I would handle the SLA panels, maybe use the panels from Velcro Saturns loaded in as a fairing, but I don't know if I can have both a fairing and a LES tower on a launcher. I'll play with it tonight out of curiosity.

Joseph Borg

Reaction score
A quick reminder re: one question I had on AMSO. So technically speaking.. If I run an 'all mission AMSO' from launch... I should be able to follow it through from TLI all the way to PDI and landing ? And back ? 10x guys. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere .

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
A quick reminder re: one question I had on AMSO. So technically speaking.. If I run an 'all mission AMSO' from launch... I should be able to follow it through from TLI all the way to PDI and landing ? And back ? 10x guys. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere .

I did Apollo 11 mission from launch to splashdown.
My first Apollo 11 playthrough on Orbiter 2016

ffantasy67

Reaction score
docking/undocking missing sounds

Hello Orbinauts,

I'm running missions in AMSO 1.23 (build 191221) and during LM T&D and when undocking/docking CSM/LM stack I cannot hear the AMSO docking.wav, docking_radio.wav and relative undocking counterparts. I have orbitersound 4.0 and XRSound + SoundBridge installed (in the XRSound readme suggested order). Anybody else has this problem?

Any other sound (several Apollo soundpacks included) is working as expected.

Thank you in advance for any reply and KR

Max

Joseph Borg

Reaction score
Thanks Nikogori !

The sounds / communication in AMSO - thus far I realize they are all based on Apollo 11. ‘The eagle has landed’ etc.
Can we also include other sounds for other apollos. ? If so - how

llarian

Reaction score
I see the microtextures in my installs no problem. However, could you explain the "Experimental lunar surface interpolation" a little more please? Can't find it in my installations.

Cheers

You need to follow the instructions that come with AMSO.
Do you have the required D3D9Client version ?
"linear interpolation" must be selected for Visual effects tab and "Experimental lunar surface interpolation" from D3D9Client configurations.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I see the microtextures in my installs no problem. However, could you explain the "Experimental lunar surface interpolation" a little more please? Can't find it in my installations.

It's a check box in lower-left corner of D3D9Client's advances setup in versions 3.12 and 3.13. It doesn't exists anymore in 4.0 since the "experimental" status is upgraded to a "full feature" so it's kinda always on.

Joseph Borg

Reaction score
Those are for AMSO 2010 not 2016.

aha ! That is why :/
sorry I jumbled this one.

So., for time being... Apollo 20 is not present. But 18 and 19 are present as part of AMSO 1.23.. however not with the flavour objects of Surveyor 7 etc ?

barrygolden

Reaction score
The Apollo 18,19 and 20 were awesome addons for 2010 and I hope they will find their way here in 2016 as well as other LZ's. I wish that tools could be added to AMSO but so far not. Gattis has done a lot of work with Molab and a Lunar shelter planned for post Apollo explorations of the Moon and would be nice to see those here as well. He is working on a tug to use with LOI burns in Lunar missions and as an unmanned tug to take cargo to an advanced skylab. I wish for an AMSO CSM on an S1B in multistage 15 soon and a white CSM for skylab and advanced lunar flights.

we really need to look at the Apollo 14 site and the original Apollo 14 site at Littrow

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Probably for another thread, but numbers for the Block III CSM are in the Appendix section of the OART Interim Space Station PDF.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
For Orbiter 2016 things have to start from scratch, so progress is slow.

I've just released a Saturn Ib configuration/scenario (https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=601771&postcount=79) that should allow a Apollo 7 type mission (or Skylab).
1987VCRProductions has also mentioned good progress on his Multistage Saturns. Looking forward !

So soon we will be at a point where we have vehicles for Molab, the shelter, etc.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Updated scenarios for Apollos 18, 19 and 20. A straight copy from the 2010 versions but no extra textures or detail, these only use stock Orbiter 2016 terrain.
To land you must use PersuitMFD.

I've also included some extra "bases" like the other Surveyor sites, polar locations or interesting places (Aristarchus, Clavius, Gassendi, Hyginus, vonKarman, Malapert, Shackleton).
There are no scenarios for these but if you place yourself in a proper orbit, you should be able to land. Be warned that some places have significant slopes ;)

Attachments

• amso2016_apollo18_19_20_extrabases.zip
    51.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

barrygolden

Reaction score
Hey 4th rock. I do like the new landing sites and would like to see PDI scn for them. I guess I'm not sure why LOLA can't be used to land. It seems to offer more when it comes to Lunar lift off and other maneuvers

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

I'm getting a CTD for Apollo EX AS -516 when trying to use PDI

Joseph Borg

Reaction score
Updated scenarios for Apollos 18, 19 and 20. A straight copy from the 2010 versions but no extra textures or detail, these only use stock Orbiter 2016 terrain.
To land you must use PersuitMFD.

I've also included some extra "bases" like the other Surveyor sites, polar locations or interesting places (Aristarchus, Clavius, Gassendi, Hyginus, vonKarman, Malapert, Shackleton).
There are no scenarios for these but if you place yourself in a proper orbit, you should be able to land. Be warned that some places have significant slopes ;)

Not wanting to detract from the question above - I also have another question., do the Surveyors appear as physical structures in the attached files ? Or its just the name of location ? Thanks Chief.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Actually ! I just managed - I just realized that surveyor 7 is close by tycho ! I didn’t drive to it yet. But played abit with the camera . I’ll try doing this soon . Such a cool thing .
As an aside note - anyone or new post has been done to simulate the future ARTEMIS missions ? Imagine what a complement that would be

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
AMSO comes with a Surveyor model, used for Apollo 12. It's defined as part of the surface base. All I did was to put that same model on the other bases.
So yes, you see them on the surface.

The idea with Tycho is that you have two landing areas: one with Surveyor 7 were you drive up the to crater's edge; another where you land inside the crater.

In Orbiter 2010 it was possible to add custom terrain features, so you had detailed EVA plans. On 2016 you don't have extra details (for now) but you still have to navigate true 3D terrain. It's easy to get lost, and you will fall on some slopes. It's a nice challenge!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Using the new Terrain Tool, here's the Apollo 11 landing site:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YWj6PmQR_utjjW-kPfJFVGIGUOLAnFCC

Extract to textures\moon

Notice that the default Tranquility Base is off relative to the actual landing site.
Orbiter/AMSP needs to be updated on this regard, using the data here http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/938
So the automated landing will not put you on the historical place...

On the image I landed close the historical site (it's the light circle at the tip of the LEM's shadow).

Attachments

• 0049.jpg
    0049.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 87

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Thanks Nikogori !

The sounds / communication in AMSO - thus far I realize they are all based on Apollo 11. ‘The eagle has landed’ etc.
Can we also include other sounds for other apollos. ? If so - how

Audio can be added for individual missions through downloadable soundpacks. You can also make them yourself. All of the ones made for previous versions of AMSO are compatible with the newest version of AMSO for Orbiter 2016. I'm currently working on my soundpack for Apollo 14 and I plan on eventually doing one for Apollo 10.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 AM ----------

Using the new Terrain Tool, here's the Apollo 11 landing site:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YWj6PmQR_utjjW-kPfJFVGIGUOLAnFCC

Extract to textures\moon

Notice that the default Tranquility Base is off relative to the actual landing site.
Orbiter/AMSP needs to be updated on this regard, using the data here http://lroc.sese.asu.edu/posts/938
So the automated landing will not put you on the historical place...

On the image I landed close the historical site (it's the light circle at the tip of the LEM's shadow).

It's more historically accurate that you would have to go into P66 and manually pick a landing site. I know in previous versions of AMSO the automatic landing point is targeted for the edge of Little West Crater, in reality it was dangerously close to a boulder field surrounding West Crater. None of the auto landing sites are historically accurate to where the LMs actually landed, with exception to maybe Apollo 16. If you want the computer to do all the work then there's always redesignating the landing site using the arrow keys.

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Oh jeez, you're right, it is off. I think I know a fix for that, it involves changing the coordinates of the base, since the AMSO autopilot targets an invisible landing pad that's situated where the "center" of the base is. Let me do some finagling and I'll get back to you with a new longitude and latitude.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Try this for the Tranquility Base: Location = +23.464515 +0.666223

Unfortunately, this does not change where the collectible moon rocks spawn from what I can tell. So either you have to go on a little hike or you auto-collect them with ctrl-k.