Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

Reaction score
So, just out of curiosity, what's up with the coding? Most of the thread has been taken up with visual stuff, but how goes the process of making everything work?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Last I heard from Doug, that process goes not at all. There's no point coding a module around a vessel mesh that isn't finished, after all.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
hey guys I'd just like to correct my earlier statement, the xr1 does not have visibly gimbaling engines, just the flame effect. Getting confused with another conversation that i had with Doug about 3 years ago.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A small suggestion re: gimballing that may have been voiced before: move gimballing controls from the lower 2D screen to the main one, since without visual feedback on gimbal position this feature (even with keypresses) is unusable.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
attachment.php

Back hover door remind me on air brake...
By mine opinion they should open like hover door in DG...but beside that
it's beautiful spacecraft...hope NASA see this and build this for real. :thumbup:

:cheers:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter since you'd only be opening those doors in a vacuum, or at very low airspeed.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the lights inside the hover doors, though...I can't think of any good reason to have them...but either way, looks awesome. :thumbup:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
A small suggestion re: gimballing that may have been voiced before: move gimballing controls from the lower 2D screen to the main one, since without visual feedback on gimbal position this feature (even with keypresses) is unusable.

Please note that the gimbal controls are already on the main panel for the 1600- and 1920-pixel-wide panels. There simply isn't room to put them on the 1280-pixel-wide main panel. If your monitor is under 1600 pixels wide and you want gimbal controls on the main panel the best advice I can give you is to force the 1600 panel in your XR2RavenstarPrefs.cfg and then use the arrow keys to scroll to the edge of the panel as necessary (i.e., the edges will be clipped if you run the 1600 panel on a narrower monitor).

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
Back hover door remind me on air brake...
By mine opinion they should open like hover door in DG...but beside that
it's beautiful spacecraft...hope NASA see this and build this for real. :thumbup:

:cheers:
Ditto, NASA needs spacecraft designs and Orbiter has thousands. I wonder if any NASA employees play Orbiter? :hmm:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In fact, I don't need _controls_ for the gimbals to be on-screen, just an indicator of the current position - maybe on the HUD or in auxiliary roll-out screens.

ercsim

Techie
Reaction score
Though I have to say that I would like to see a more sophisticated 2D panel for the mkII, but, I would still say this is gonna be the best ship in orbiter.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Lots of connectors, beware to the martian dust ! :thumbup:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
There is a huge effort in conceptualizing every detail, system, and mechanism that can't be seen, and it shows.

thanks, It certainly demands a lot of time and patience, you have to look at the evolution of this design as like anything else, as long as its improving then its going in the right direction.;)

Keatah

Reaction score
Though I have to say that I would like to see a more sophisticated 2D panel for the mkII, but, I would still say this is gonna be the best ship in orbiter.

The 2d-panel IMHO is pretty good as it is. What do you want to see changed?

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Some work on the mk2's gaping maw...

I wonder what could be stuffed and stowed in that huge empty nosecone? Or perhaps, it could form the basis of a dish antenna or something?

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Why does it have to look so good? Its only going to make me sad when it comes out, because then I'll realize I'll never be able to fly it with my FPS problem.

Keatah

Reaction score
You will need to upgrade your system.

Now, why not put a phase array in there, or somehow make the cone rotate around the perimeter of the nose, and vary the angle, like 90% closed, or 80% closed, and so on. And at 50%, 90* closed we could scan a huge cylinder shaped swath of sky. At 10 % open we'd be looking back. well you get the idea.

White Wolf

Reaction score
Ah, that hinge is a lot more beefy than it looked in the last picture so my structural concerns were for naught. As for the nosecone, i could see it being used as a place to store tool bags and other EVA equipment for quick access after leaving the airlock.

Impressive detail on the nose. in my opinion details like that make the ship feel so much more real. Cant wait to take her up to ISS on some long awaited Tuesday.

But now i'm ranting on. Anyway, amazing as always!

-White

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.