Project XR2 Ravenstar - Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The texturing mentioned needs to be completed, then the vessel can be coded, a process which hasn't started yet.

Oh is the entire ship being recoded?

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Will the Mk1 be able to co-exist in a scenario file with the Mk2? Or will all XR2's presently in a scenario be automatically upgraded once the Mk2 package is installed?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Don't worry, the Mk I will coexist quite nicely alongside the Mk II; the Mk I will continue to be fully supported.

halcyon

Reaction score
Pssh the Mk1 is going to end up hanging in a museum at D.C. while the Mk2 is blasting off pavement in Florida.

Vintage baby!

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
here's a pic showing the new nosecone, now a single piece unit to allow for the forward ladder access. Also made some big improvements to the look of the RCS thruster housings which now have more detailed models and textures.

Attachments

• mk2_phase3_13 copy.jpg
    mk2_phase3_13 copy.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 364

q800

Reaction score
Awesome!

Any pics of VC maybe?

---------- Post added at 9:00 a.m. ---------- Previous post was at 8:38 a.m. ----------

Don't worry, the Mk I will coexist quite nicely alongside the Mk II; the Mk I will continue to be fully supported.

Does it mean you're going to implement clickable VC into the mk1?

Best Regards

Pablo49

Reaction score
Does it mean you're going to implement clickable VC into the mk1?

He's saying you can have a Mk I and a Mk II in a scenerio together without them interfering with each other. Unlike multiple SC3 addons, for example. He didn't say they will share features etc, they are separate ships, remember.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
I cannot wait for this to come out. Hopefully Orbiter will be DX11 by the time it does. It will take advantage of many features.

Ark

Reaction score
I cannot wait for this to come out. Hopefully Orbiter will be DX11 by the time it does. It will take advantage of many features.

Screw that. Do you feel like explaining to all the XP users why we can't play Orbiter anymore?

Salun

Das Bluejay El DESTROY YOU ALL
Reaction score
Do you have the basic dimensions? She looks considerably larger than her predecessor.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The only thing missing on this beautiful piece of space fantasy is a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_air_cycle_engine"]LACE[/ame] or turbine engines inside those engine pods to cruise along more efficiently in the atmosphere!

Gorgeous work guys! A+ :)

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Some lighting suggestions for the XR-2 Mk 2:

Put light sources inside the forward ladder pit so that it illuminates that area even at night, and maybe add "rudder logo" spotlights so that when the NAV switch is on, the rudders are illuminated, just like an airliner ;P

ercsim

Techie
Reaction score
The only thing missing on this beautiful piece of space fantasy is a LACE or turbine engines inside those engine pods to cruise along more efficiently in the atmosphere!

Gorgeous work guys! A+ :)

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 AM ----------

Some lighting suggestions for the XR-2 Mk 2:

Put light sources inside the forward ladder pit so that it illuminates that area even at night, and maybe add "rudder logo" spotlights so that when the NAV switch is on, the rudders are illuminated, just like an airliner ;P

That sounds like a very good idea.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Screw that. Do you feel like explaining to all the XP users why we can't play Orbiter anymore?

Sure you can. Don't forget Orbiter's graphics upgrades are addon plugins. DX11, or more likely DX13 by the time we get a cutting-edge clientn will most likely be no different. So you can just plug in the DX9 client instead and continue to enjoy Orbiter in your current operating system.

Beyond that, we're diving into OS wars territory.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
All the interior spaces, all the external bays... will be, infact already are, fully illuminated - lighting information is baked into the textures.

I'd considered more running lights... it's a possibility.. you could probably do it with an overlay mesh with baked light - show and hide the mesh to create the illusion that point lights are being cast on the ship.

i'm sure that no matter what, the ship will always be compatible with the stock orbiter engine.

For DX9, the ship will have a full set of normal maps - like bump maps but better.. adds the type of depth of surface that you can see in the renders and numerous other improvements over the stock experience. I have no plans for developing extra maps or anything for even more advanced graphics, dx9 will be quite an improvement alone.

Nemoricus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Everything that I've heard so far sounds really cool and exciting! I think the XR2 Ravenstar MkII will be an excellent addition to the latest version of Orbiter.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Such praise is deserving of another WIP pic...:tiphat: ;)

showing some of my long threatened upper-hull repaint; 'clean white' will likely be the new base skin for that traditional kind of NASA-esq look.

Attachments

• mk2_phase3_16a.jpg
    mk2_phase3_16a.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 255

Keatah

Reaction score
I like the mean and pi:censored:off look of the radiators. Ahem..

Too bad it's not 50 years from now when I could use this for a night on the town with the the finest woman in all the village;) Let's face it, going to opera in a Caddy just ain't cutt'n it anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.