WIP Starship (read: Giant Cone)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here it is so far:

12.01.30%2010-56-27%20Lorean.jpg

My first 3D model and first completely original Orbiter...thing. It'll get better. I hope.

In the mean time, I'm in the middle of the idea phase. Here's what I want it to do, at least for now:

1. Be capable of interstellar and interplanetary flight using magical antimatter whatever engines (MAWEs.) Accelerates nominally at ~10m/s^2.
2. Carry four multipurpose shuttles capable of ferrying UMMUs and cargo down to the surface of unexplored bodies. Two for atmospheric use and two for airless use. Also, space probes and Big Dumb Cargo Landers.
3. Have functionality where it lacks sexy visuals. [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2944"]Exploreur[/ame]-style development. Hey, it does say in the SDK documentation:
It may be tempting to create an extremely detailed 3D model with tens of thousands of mesh vertices, and megabytes of textures – but don’t. Remember that many people may have lower-powered computers than you, and that the sexiest spacecraft is worthless if it degrades framerate to un-playability. Also, your model may compete with tens or hundreds of other objects for processor cycles.
Therefore, aim for low polygon count.
So I'm planning on power and engine management, life support, crew/cargo management, perhaps prelaunch customisation of shuttles handled by mothership, etc.
4. Be fun, not just to develop but to play with. If it's considered as an option for Orbiter Galaxy missions I'll be very happy.

Here's what I need:
1. Modelling skills. The mesh needs 1e6% improvement. This will hopefully come with time and tutorials. Tips/recommendations welcome!!
2. Here's the big one: Ideas for shuttles. They won't be prettier than the mothership. Both models should be crewed by four people and be able to carry either 12 more people or 6 UCGO crates. If you'd like to donate meshes, that's even better. Pretty please? :)
3. Any other kind of feedback. I'm making this for you after all.

:hailprobe:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
I actually think clean and sleek looks good for a starship. Maybe it's just an aesthetic thing, but it reminds me of the lines of a cigarette design speedboat, which confers a feeling of speed to it.

I take it you're also going to have a Magical Deflection Whatever Field (MDWF) to push aside relativistic space dust? Or will the nose simply be composed of lightweight foamed Unobtanium alloy? :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
MDWF. Something like that, yes. :lol: :thumbup:

A little work done on the Leo airless lander:
Leo1.PNG

Leo2.PNG

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, of course all vessels will receive proper modules. C++ writing is already underway.

Also, hardened some of the lighthugger's edges, so the docking bays are actually visible:
12.01.30%2019-14-33%20Lorean.jpg

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm, incidentally the author of the book that inspired my design, Alastair Reynolds, drew a sketch of what he thought it would look like, 12 years after writing the book:
lighthugger.jpg

Considering a novel was all I had to go on, I'd say mine isn't bad! :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
12.01.31%2000-19-57%20Lorean.jpg

Main engines are operational, gimballing not yet implemented. Attitude control system operating at 10% capability, will be operational by Tuesday. :p

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You don't give yourself enough credit for this. :p Although it does remind me of the stylish vacuum cleaner I have.

Also, I'd be be more than happy to give you my old Potatoshuttle mesh to use for atmospheric landers! If you don't mind its huge amount of...derp.
SNAG-0081.png
SNAG-0090.png