Software Windows 10 Free Upgrade?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Is it downloadable as an ISO file (therefore I choose when to install it), or is it automatically installed as a "normal" patch?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It's very very smooth if you wait for the upgrade. If you do the manual installation, people have had some issues.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
The catch is that they want and need you to upgrade. It's all a thing about making Windows 10 many times more popular that previous OSes.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I downloaded and burned to a DVD. But haven't been able to install. It runs thru the install and then after a while it states installation failed:(

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
As far as the OS is concerned everything appears to be working smoothly, with a couple of caveats: if you're a student using an MSDNAA license like me, do not download the Educational edition, since it requires the system to be joined to a domain or an Azure active directory. Instead, go for the download labeled "(multiple editions)".

Finally, if anyone is using a Saitek flight stick, there aren't any drivers available yet :/ using the 8.1 drivers causes interesting issues like an unresponsive mouse after unplugging the stick. It is to note however that not everyone is having these issues.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...word-with-facebook-outlook-and-skype-contacts

Be careful out there. There are ways to protect your wi fi passwords without having to ditch Windows 10, but you need to know about it.
I saw it because I never do Express Settings. I did leave it enabled though. It requires actions on your part before it will share anything with someone. I can see people misusing it and making themselves vulnerable, but probably not the generally tech savvy crowd in this forum.
Windows 10 does raise a *lot* of privacy concerns, and I am being cautious. But if they can show themselves to not be evil, I'll trust them eventually as I tend to trust the Google ecosystem already.

I'm annoyed that Cortana requires me to convert my local Windows account to an online-synched Live account. As with 8, I do not want to login to my computer as a Windows Live user. I want to use only a local password. And I don't want every little thing synching to the web automatically. Logging in to use features *I choose* would be great, but I'm not comfortable basically agreeing to give unknown permissions to every application so that I can use one.

Last edited:

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
Windows 10 Spies on Almost Everything You Do, Unless You Opt Out

Microsoft's Windows 10 is spying on nearly everything its users do, and anyone who agreed to the operating system's new terms of service consented to the surveillance, whether knowingly or otherwise.

Included in Microsoft's new 12,000-word service agreement, which goes into effect August 1, is the following excerpt from the privacy policy:

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to."

And while Microsoft does allow Windows 10 users to opt out of all of the features that might be considered invasions of privacy, users are opted in by default. Rock, Paper, Shotgun explains the opt-out process step by step.

Windows 10 will sync settings and data by default with its servers. That includes browser history, favorites and currently open web pages, as well as saved app, website and mobile hotspot passwords and Wi-Fi network names and passwords.

Activate Cortana, Microsoft's personal virtual assistant, and you are also turning on a host of data sharing, as Microsoft's new privacy statement points out:

"To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device.

"Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more."

The updated terms also state that Microsoft will collect information "from you and your devices, including for example 'app use data for apps that run on Windows' and 'data about the networks you connect to.'"

Windows 10 generates by default a unique advertising ID for each user on each device. That can be used by developers and advertising networks to profile you and serve commercial content.

http://sputniknews.com/us/20150731/1025283047.html

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What about performance ? Is Win10 running "faster" than Win7 ? On a x64 processor ?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Windows 10 should boot up and shut down faster than Windows 7, though. At least, it does for me. :thumbup:

Also, I'm seeing noticeably improved FPS in Witcher 3 over my previous Windows 8.1, although it's hard to quantify. It could be due to the fact that I upgraded my NVidia video driver from Windows 8.1 to the Windows 10 version. I was surprised at the difference, but from Googling it appears that it varies from system to system. More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3f4yoj/getting_a_performance_increase_with_windows_10/

One other thing I noticed right off the bat after upgrading is that my idle CPU load is lower under Windows 10 than it was under 8.1 (this was from an upgrade via the ISO, not a fresh install).

Regarding the privacy settings, you can opt-out of all those at the start of the upgrade by clicking "Customize" instead of "Express Settings".

As for the upgrade itself, I have a ton of apps installed on my desktop and the upgrade from Windows 8.1 -> Windows 10 worked flawlessly for me. I also upgraded one of my HP laptops from 8.1 -> 10 and that worked flawlessly, too. I'm quite happy with Windows 10 so far. :)

EDIT:
P.S. The Windows 10 login screen background is bad-ass:

Last edited:

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I updated three PCs yesterday to Windows 10. The only issue I had was with the Nvidia driver on a dual screen PC. A download from Nvidia and a few reboots later and it was working.

The update on a Surface Pro 3 and smaller Surface 3 when flawlessly.

So far I'm very impressed with 10. Its what 8/8.1 should have been all along with regards to the integration between touch and desktop modes and I appreciate having my clock back in the lower right corner where it belongs.

10 also seems to be moving away from reliance on 'slide in from the side of the screen' stuff, which has been problematic with my Surface's case. I can do what I need on the screen itself.

As for speed, I've noticed no difference, but then I have not done any formal comparisons.

As for the privacy stuff, as has been said already, Google has been doing that to me for years now. I'll keep an eye on it, but it does not really concern me too much.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this? http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...word-with-facebook-outlook-and-skype-contacts

Be careful out there. There are ways to protect your wi fi passwords without having to ditch Windows 10, but you need to know about it.
Note that WiFi Sense doesn't "reveal" your wifi password to anyone--it just gives the friends lists you've chosen access to your wifi. Those friends cannot then re-share that password to other people--it's only people that are your friends.

If you don't want to use it for a given network, just don't check the box.

The "problematic set" of people in this case are people who are your friends on those services and know where you live, but that you don't want using your wifi.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Included in Microsoft's new 12,000-word service agreement, which goes into effect August 1, is the following excerpt from the privacy policy:

Will be interesting how this fares in German law. If they attempt to go the same way as Google and declare that European law does not apply to the whole world, they might find out that this is a) a very stupid way to do business in Europe and b) Something that is only possible if you have no business customers.

I expected some usage statistics of Windows 10 because its OS as a service model, but what they are really doing there and what they are really reserving as their potential right, especially in the light that Microsoft has the NSA sitting in their basement (My emails and documents? :censored: you!), is IMHO a strong reason against using Windows 10.

Give me a proper Service Agreement (Only as much data as really necessary for providing the service) or stay off my computer.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just read in a local newspaper that the Win10 upgrade won't be free any longer after 07/29/2016. So it seems we have one year to decide, it isn't too bad.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I reserved a copy a while back and got notification of that. What sort of notification do you get when it is ready to install?

I downloaded it and burned to a dvd. Tried to install3 times but I get something happened installation failed.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What sort of notification do you get when it is ready to install?

I've got a little Windows icon in the task bar that says "Get Windows 10" if I hover over it. (Win 7 Home Premium)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got the icon but is that just for reserving it or downloading it?

It says they will let me know when it is ready.