Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Marijn

Reaction score
Recently I upgraded from Win8.1. This upgrade was supposed to be expired as well, but it did work just fine.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
If Microsoft really does still support free Windows 10 upgrades now, then you may as well try it and see if it works. I'd recommend making a full backup first in case something doesn't work and/or you want to go back to Windows 7.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I can confirm this still works in 2019. I've done it to three laptops and one desktop in the last 3 months, but you have to use this method.

Marijn

Reaction score
Maybe @Dascey needs to upgrade to Win8 first before going to 10..

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are methods for obtaining the Windows 10 update still. There was this weird clause thing they had where if you used Windows 10 ease of access tools, you could still get a free upgrade. Even after that "expired," it was still a viable free update. I don't think they ever changed it.

Dascey

Reaction score
Recently I upgraded from Win8.1. This upgrade was supposed to be expired as well, but it did work just fine.
I am going to upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7.Is that possible?

If Microsoft really does still support free Windows 10 upgrades now, then you may as well try it and see if it works. I'd recommend making a full backup first in case something doesn't work and/or you want to go back to Windows 7.
A good idea,making a backup is necessary just in case.

I can confirm this still works in 2019. I've done it to three laptops and one desktop in the last 3 months, but you have to use this method.
Thank you so much,i will try it next.Waiting for new of my success.

There was this weird clause thing they had where if you used Windows 10 ease of access tools
What is "Windows 10 ease of access tools" ?

Marijn

Reaction score
I am going to upgrade to Win 10 from Win 7.Is that possible?

I remember reading somewhere that you must upgrade to Win8 first as a stepping stone before upgrading to 10. Once you have upgraded to Win10, you can do a fresh install of Win10 if you prefer.

Perhaps it's a good idea to extract your current key first, although I rolled back the Win10 installation to Win81 about six times before I was happy and never ran in to issues with product keys. Not sure how MS manages this. It just works :)

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What is "Windows 10 ease of access tools" ?

Ease of access tools are things like the screen magnifier to help with those with sight problems, Windows text-to-speech for those who cannot read smaller text effectively, closed captioning and audio mode settings to help with those hard-of-hearing, and other things such as pointer size, icon size, screen strobe light effects for notification awareness, UI high-contrast modes, and speech, keyboard, and mouse aids for those with physical or capability disabilities.

Ease of access tools can be found in the control panel, or in the Windows Settings dialogue. Basically, these are essential tools for those who are disabled or impaired in some way. They make their lives easier. Microsoft decided to extend the upgrade time for people that need these tools to operate their OS.

:cheers:
I remember reading somewhere that you must upgrade to Win8 first as a stepping stone before upgrading to 10. Once you have upgraded to Win10, you can do a fresh install of Win10 if you prefer.

Perhaps it's a good idea to extract your current key first, although I rolled back the Win10 installation to Win81 about six times before I was happy and never ran in to issues with product keys. Not sure how MS manages this. It just works :)

This is not the case for most people. You must be using a machine running 7 or higher. I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without any problems without needing to upgrade to 8 or 8.1 as a stepping stone. You should not need to iterate your upgrades, as doing so would require buying a Windows 8 key anyway. That would circumvent the "free" -ness of the Windows 10 upgrade.

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, it looks like Microsoft realized they had left their ease-of-access update on-line far beyond the end-date, and have stopped supporting the free upgrade. The old website they had setup can be reached through their development blog at this link, but it appears it no longer provides what we're looking for https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ac...ge-for-people-who-use-assistive-technologies/

I am sorry if you were banking on this being available still. I had used this method about a year ago and that had been long after they were supposed to stop supporting the free upgrade for ease-of-access users, so I had figured the back door was still relevant.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The method I used and provided a link to still works. You do not have to upgrade to Windows 8 first using this method. The 3 laptops and one desktop I upgraded were all Windows 7 prior to the upgrade.

Note that what it does is create a digital license for Windows 10 for the machine you're upgrading. This license exists on the MS servers and remains valid as long as Windows 10 is supported. This means if something happens and you need to wipe the machine and reinstall Windows 10 (create a recovery disc or USB after the upgrade), it will reach out and recognize the license and activate the OS.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score

Did you run in to an issue with not enough hard drive space during the update? I've an older laptop with only 4G of HD space (it came like that), I usually used a portable HD anyway, so all I did was boot up with it. Windows won't upgrade to the latest and greatest because it stops in the middle with an 'insufficient drive space' message and I'm back to where I started.

Marijn

Reaction score
The required disk space for the 32 bit version of Win10 is 16GB. The 64 bit version requires 32 GB.

Go buy a SSD. They're quite cheap and SSD's are the best possible upgrade for an old loptop.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The required disk space for the 32 bit version of Win10 is 16GB. The 64 bit version requires 32 GB.

Go buy a SSD. They're quite cheap and SSD's are the best possible upgrade for an old loptop.

I can't recommend this enough as well. If you plan to do this, ensure it is not too cheap; however, as it will be running your OS. I recommend having an SSD partition for your OS, and an HDD for storage if possible. I've been happy with this setup since I got my new computer. If you have an additional bay for your laptop, this is a great solution.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him

Hi! I am upgrading my Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 with 0 Rupees. I am also changing my QWERTY keyboard with the Dvorak keyboard for faster typing.

Edit: Unfortunately, it requires a ton of data to upgrade!

Last edited:

Kungger

Reaction score

Dascey

Reaction score
The reason why i don't dare to try upgrading is that my sister's computer encountered all kind of troubles after updrading,and i don't think i have the ability to solve them.There's no harm in downloading Windows 10 from the installation disk.
Wow...I hadn't thought of that before,thank you,it will help me.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Is Windows 8.1 free upgrade possible?