Software Windows 10 Free Upgrade?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
...my computer recently gave me the option to install a free Windows 10 update...

Not sure if I wanna go for it...should I?

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I use the Windows 10 Insider Preview. If you're on Win8, I would absolutely upgrade. If you're on Win7, I see no reason not to update.

I can't see that you loose anything by upgrading. It performs better, is more up to date and is free. Simply no reason to stay on what you had.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Does the upgrade take place at a random time or will I be around to click an [OK] button?

And, what about all my data in My Documents, et al? Most are backed up, but there's always the opportunity for me to miss something incredibly important.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Does the upgrade take place at a random time or will I be around to click an [OK] button?

When I accepted the notification my Win 8 desktop, it said that it would download the Win 10 upgrade automatically, and would then let me choose when to install.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
From the post here (as in on this thread), I gather that Windows 10 is better than Windows 8 was by a large margin.

And since my computer is operating on 8...looks like I'm gonna update.

All I have to do now is wait for the tab to randomly pop up again so I can update. ._.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
The popup from my irritating little tray icon now says the install will be available on/after July 29.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu

And, what about all my data in My Documents, et al? Most are backed up, but there's always the opportunity for me to miss something incredibly important.

Everything, including installed applications, will persist. If its like any other upgrade it should also give the option to wipe everything and perform a clean install, should you wish to do so.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The popup from my irritating little tray icon now says the install will be available on/after July 29.
How exactly can a tray icon be irritating?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
How exactly can a tray icon be irritating?

By existing. For whatever reason, I've become a minimalist when it comes to the system tray icons. Not sure why. I have no logical reason for it other than I just don't want to see more icons there. For some reason 'hiding' the less-frequently-used ones with that little double-upward chevron to reveal them just drives me even more insane.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The only issue I see with Windows 10 going on forever is that there might be a critical flaw in the design of the OS that cant be fixed (similar to the unfixable hole in Win98 & ME), which would force a transition to Windows 11, but that would probably be something like 10-20 years down the road, if ever.

The unfixable hole in Win9x was that DOS was still running the show, which was good for back compatibility for DOS applications, but horrible for stability and security because many DOS applications relied on having direct access to the hardware, meaning that DOS could only do so much to prevent applications from overwriting each other or itself (or stealing CPU time, or any number of other nasty things). With the switch to the NT kernel (in the early 90s for business versions of Windows, with XP for consumer versions) Microsoft sacrificed full DOS compatibility in order to fully isolate applications from each other and the OS. As a result, security bugs in modern Windows kernels can be fixed without breaking applications (except for applications that exploit specifically that particular bug), so there will never again be an "unfixable hole" of that magnitude in Windows.

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The recent update to the preview no longer has the "Preview version xxx" on the desktop. Maybe this is the complete version RTM.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's here!

I plan to wait a few weeks to let the dust settle there before upgrading... not that I expect much problems, but you never really know.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its here, but not much happening here:hmm:
Its rejected my old HP Presario laptop which is running 7 quite happily, complaining about the graphic chip. The other two have passed, yippee, I think...
Bit like a doctor that tells you to go home and take an asprin

N.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Some good, semi-obvious news: My Win 8 Pro upgraded to Win 10 Pro, rather than Home. And all Pro features seem to still be present.
More mediocre news: Upgrading broke my audio driver. But upon uninstalling the driver and restarting, it seems Windows reinstalled the proper (same) driver and all is good now.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

By the way, Windows 10 is claimed to be the last Windows iteration. Very much an OSX kind of situation.

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I just got my machine back together again after that friggin Trojan, not gonna do it for at least a year!!!
Please note that the upgrade might not be free anymore by then.

Upgraded my PC yesterday evening, all applications are still functioning properly and had no problems at all.
I like it.