Hardware Will FSX run on windows 7?

Foofoo14

Reaction score
I may be getting a new laptop within a month or so and I'm not sure if there are xp and vista laptops in mass quantity so i assumed that i will be getting 7. I have FSX but can't use it on my computer due to the poor thing being way out of the requirements. So does anyone know if 7 can run FSX?

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I may be getting a new laptop within a month or so and I'm not sure if there are xp and vista laptops in mass quantity so i assumed that i will be getting 7. I have FSX but can't use it on my computer due to the poor thing being way out of the requirements. So does anyone know if 7 can run FSX?

Um yea, FSX would run on 7, though depends on your hardware capabilities of course. Make sure you have a graphics card other wise you might as well forget it. Lately I have not been keeping up on the current consumer price/standard hardware, so I would check with the specific GPU/CPU and see if they are worth anything.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
FSX runs fine on Win7, as long as your hardware can support it. The only two issues I've had:

- On your "sound" control panel, the Communications tab, change the option to "Do nothing." FSX ATC sounds count as "communications activity," so it will reduce the volume of everything else (engines, wind, etc) whenever ATC speaks. This was extremely frustrating until I figured out what was going on. Of course, if you're only going through one set of speakers, you might consider this a good thing, but I pipe the ATC through my headphones and other sounds through my speakers.
- Enabling add-on scenery. The open dialog doesn't quite work right, but there's a little voodoo you can do in order to get it to work.

Other than that, I've had absolutely no issues with FSX on Win7. One of the advantages of it being a Microsoft product is that unlike many other games (including Orbiter), it actually follows the Windows guidelines on things like saving settings and saved games, so it'll work fine if you install it to your Program Files directory or aren't running as admin.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Works fine for me. It actually seems to run a bit better than it does on XP.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have it, and it misbehaved so much.

- You right click a couple of times, you right-click again and the game crashes.
- It is really hard to add a plane to your installation
- You can't get the Boeing 747 into the air without stalling then dropping at 7 KM/s!

My computer runs it well, and I have Gold edition and integrated graphics. Just have to turn it down to high...

- Sounds like a limitation of your hardware to me
- Drop the aircraft folder in the directory marked Airplanes - how much easier do you want it?
- I can fly the 747 out of my local regional airport, which only has about an 8,000 foot runway, with just a few feet to spare and no stalling. Either you are pulling up too far, or again, limitation of your graphics hardware.

Foofoo14

Reaction score
Thanks, and speaking of new laptops i have it right now with 3 gigs of ram.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have super-duper hardware! Nvidia Geforce 7050!
That's not "super-duper" hardware. It's an integrated chip, and it's impressive that it can run FSX in the first place.
I do. It throws up an error.
What error do you get when you're trying to add an airplane? And what airplane, specifically?
I pitch up to like 10 degrees.
If you're stalling on takeoff, you're doing something wrong. I suggest you practice with simpler airplanes first. I also highly doubt that it's falling at 7km/s, since that's above the highest speed that a plane in FSX can have.

Disconnect

Reaction score