Question Username origins

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And with that little comment in an earlier thread, I now really want to know what it means :lol:.

I explained it so often already, lets keep it one of the less challenging mysteries in the forum. :lol: And after all, it is just urwumpe.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Ripley]Ellen Ripley[/ame] fought Alien in the movie, and I fought my cancers.

I seemed to remember to have already talked about this in a similar thread.
After a search, I dug out this Things that make you go "Ouch" thread :)hmm: disclaimer: read it at your own risk).

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My first nickname ever was "AirFranceLiner", on a FSX forum. Well, to explain, "Air France" is a popular french airline, and Liner, because I used to fly airliners most of the time on FSX. Then I discovered Orbiter and the Dan's forum, and then, I replaced the airline by Solar, refering to Space and the Solar System because now I fly spaceliners :p
I had problems (in a very long story) with the FSX forum, and AirFranceLiner disappeared from the surface of internet, leaving SolarLiner as my "official internet name".

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Self quote then:

Mine is derived from my last name. It was developed during mid 90' most of the games had 4 letter limit on highscore. I've changed "e" to "u" and now I use it for like 17 years.

Proximus

Reaction score
I was a big Mauro Picotto (the lizard man DJ) fan in my youth.
My favorite track and I've stuck with it ever since :thumbup:

MattBaker

Reaction score
And after all, it is just urwumpe.

Ist mir doch wumpe was dein Name bedeutet.:p

In my case it was the try to reach anonymity and a name which does not give away your homecountry (There were/are nasty uncivilized parts of the internet).
So I ended up trying to find a name which could be the real name of million of people and that was my result.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have my username since I was quite young, so it is not very inventive. It comes from Indiana Jones and my year of birth. Over the internet I used some variations of the username.
But it is also something like a backcronym for me, because I like Indie Rock and motorsports (including IndyCar Series) now. :lol:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I messed up making my user name when I first joined
( Well that was boring!!!)

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There's a scene in "The Right Stuff" where Gus asks Gordo what astronaut means. Gordo says "Star voyager".

I knew it :p! Have to think about you everytime I watch it :lol:.

I don't think I need to explain mine, I love Astronomy and my first name is Sammy....

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The 7378 refers to the Boeing 737-800, and the rest is self explanatory!

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dutch=born in Rotterdam, Netherlands and still fiercely Dutch despite living most of my life in Canada (also an awesome country)

pirate=reflects one of my favorite outdoor activities, sailing my boat, although I haven't boarded anyone yet so I might have to go back to pirate school, Arrrgghhh!

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's a scene in "The Right Stuff" where Gus asks Gordo what astronaut means. Gordo says "Star voyager".

Ahh, that never came to mind! Now every time I see your username, I'll think of the way he says it in the movie.

Speaking of, I think we should have an add-on for Panchos Happy Bottom Riding club. That would be awesome.

I explained it so often already, lets keep it one of the less challenging mysteries in the forum. :lol: And after all, it is just urwumpe.

Longer story. Back then when the Internet was so fast that you could hear the packets chat while having a smoke on the modem and I got my first Internet access, I needed a user name for the AOL Chat, and all the good names had been gone and I hated having something like Dennis78 or so... So I typed in frustration what I thought ("Urwumpe!" or the local lower Saxon slang expression for "Totally irrelevant!") and suddenly I was in the chat and got my once-in-a-lifetime user name.

Baha, I finally find out! Is it just rattled off in one word like a curse/epithet?

I remember explaining the origins of my username in this Username origins thread. So as I stated in that thread, blixel has no meaning.

Its like a pixel, but its a blixel ;)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Just slightly off-topic...
Once upon a time, I was a member of a Fighters Anthology forum, where I took the name "SPIAPL": pronounced "Spy Apple" and stands for "Saber Pilot In A Past Life". I have a real thing for Korean War-era jets:)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Baha, I finally find out! Is it just rattled off in one word like a curse/epithet?

Yes, one word, but not necessarily a curse. It is just a normal word, though you could easily use any word as curse in the right mood (Just try calling your neighbor "You cute little pony" in such a situation - more scary is hard to achieve).

The root of the word is simple "wumpe", which means "irrelevant, unimportant, doesn't matter" in the local slang - in southern Germany, it failed to survive the consonant shift I fear, I think it is also unknown in the Ruhr area. But everything formerly Prussian understands this word, it seems to be from Berlin by some theories. But its new home is around Braunschweig.

If you want to know more about the origin of the word, here is a nice German article about failing to find this origin*:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/service/sprachlabor-was-bedeutet-das-adverb-wumpe-1.962930

It just appeared by divine providence I fear.

If it is really irrelevant and just a delaying factor, you could strengthing the word. In this case, by prefixing "Ur-" to it, another german language dinosaur, like used in "Uralt" (very old), "Urschnell" (very fast) and especially "Urwichtig" (very important) - whichs opposite would be "Urwumpe".

* But it contains a lengthy praise of its phonetic qualities, that I can only agree with. On par with Tüddelkram.

Last edited:

sitha241

Reaction score
My name comes from some elf race from some sci fi book and I used it when I was making my first email account, and 241 is from my date of birth 24.10 :D

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
A long time ago my friend/not-quite-girl-friend-but-sort-of and I got obsessed with emphasizing the letter "s" when we talked by drawing it out longer. Why we did this: no particular reason except it seemed humorous.

We did this for about a week or more. My other friend whom was non-participant started calling us the "Children of static" or "static kids" I thought that was pretty good and so began using it as a tagging name (yep, graffiti :shifty:). Then I found out that its usually available when i sign up for things.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Once upon a time my user-name was "Sandwichwarrior" a call-back to my time as a boxer sponsored by the local deli.

The origins of current user-name is quite boring. It's my real (Meat Space) name + initials.

ETA:
Before anyone asks, my name's origin is Ukrainian Cossack. Yes, I know it's weird. After coming to the US my parents were too poor to afford vowels.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Before anyone asks, my name's origin is Ukrainian Cossack. Yes, I know it's weird. After coming to the US my parents were too poor to afford vowels.

I knew it! :lol: