Question Username origins

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
After seeing different usernames, from the normal to the just plain weird, ive decided to make a username origin thread. What inspired your username? For instance mine was inspired by a Shakey's Pizza comercial. :lol: its a very long story

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Heh, long story...

A long, long time ago, waaaaaay back (OK, several years ago) I needed a username for Club Penguin (yea, I know :rolleyes:) and my Dad pressed some random letters on the keyboard and deleted the last ones. The remaining ones were (you probably guessed it) rtyh. The 12 came later, I needed a username for something Lego related, but Rtyh was already taken, so I wrote my age. I still stick to it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Longer story. Back then when the Internet was so fast that you could hear the packets chat while having a smoke on the modem and I got my first Internet access, I needed a user name for the AOL Chat, and all the good names had been gone and I hated having something like Dennis78 or so... So I typed in frustration what I thought ("Urwumpe!" or the local lower Saxon slang expression for "Totally irrelevant!") and suddenly I was in the chat and got my once-in-a-lifetime user name.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Shortly after getting married, I was thinking about a career in aviation. A junior college not far from where we live has an aviation program, and my wife and I attended the Open House they held during the summer. We took a flight in one of their single-engine training planes at the time, a Grumman-American Tiger. Our pilot told us "We're going up in number 22." Of course, the full tail number of the plane was N122VU. Shortly after that, I needed a username for Flightsim.com. It took me all of 5 seconds to settle on the tail number of the trainer we flew in. I've used it on many sites ever since.

The college has since retired their fleet of Tigers and sold them to the public. N122VU is now registered privately, I believe to someone in Chicago, Ill.

diogom

Reaction score
Diogo, my first name. M, first letter in my last name.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well.... DUH! :rofl:

Some (younger) people don't remember that the original C3PO hated space flight, so the irony is a bit lost on them.

:cheers:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Mine isn't related to Orbiter at all, as I created it in 2001, so before I have found Orbiter. I was looking for the shortest possible user name for e-mail at free e-mail provider, which wasn't already in use and means something, and is cool.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
mine is very exciting and was created after much thought.

No, not really, it's my name. :lol:

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
My Username is the first two letters of my name.Some of my friends call me Ky,so I just decided to use it as my orbiter username because it's short and easy to remember than Kymani(Trust me, I have heard many different pronounciations and different ways to spell my name).

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
A few years ago, my brother's friend let us borrow Halo CE, and we needed a name for the online portion of the game. The fireballs comes from the mind of the friend (I have NO clue how he thought of it), and the 619 came from our street address. We have used it ever since, but it's mainly been me using it. If you search fireballs619 on google, 90% of the accounts are something either my brother or I have made.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Mine is a somewhat long-ish story:

Back in the day I used to share nicknames with Moach, my brother... Since we shared the 'puter, it was easier to just use a single nickname so we wouldn't need to be constantly logging in and out... So I used to be Moach (which is a word we made up... but that's a story for him to tell)

Anyways, We used to have this heavy metal band, which back then was called "Bad Harvest"... So whenever I needed an alias for some online thing, I would use "TheHarvesteR"...

After I moved out and got my own computer, I took on "TheHarvesteR", and over time it became just "HarvesteR" (I'm still TheHarvesteR when HarvesteR is unavailable)...

Whenever both are unavailable, I tend to go with my alter-ego, PsykomantaBrain.

Cheers

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hmmm, i used to go by "Raynor" (inspired by a StarCraft character) back in the day...

one day, while making a custom mission for Operation Flashpoint - i cobbled up "Mole" and "Roach", into a unexpectedly funny-sounding possible character name, somewhat derived from "the Mole" (the spy-warlord kid from South Park movie)...

then when me and my brother HarvesteR (which has already told his story) went about modelling the "737 experience" for FS2004, we dredged up that name to use for posting topics under a single SimViation.com account...

eventually, i took over our shared identifier and he went with HarvesteR from then on...

more recently, i found i needed an avatar for registering to the dxstudio dev forums.... i googled "Moach" and hit "images"... that's what i got :rofl:

Fizyk

Reaction score
Website
ebvalaim.net
Long time ago, in the elementary school, I started being interested in physics. My friends began calling me a physicist (that's what "fizyk" means in Polish) and it became my nickname. So, when I needed a nickname for the internet, it was the first thing that came to my mind, since it was already my nickname.

And now I'm becoming a physicist for real, because physics is what I'm studying :p

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
I didn't want to put my main name flyingfender, I forget why, so I brainstormed, looked at my pants, and noticed I was wearing pants. (What a surprise!) So then I randomly put iamwearingpants into the box and used it.

I have no clue why I used it, but it fits.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Some years ago I needed a new username because my old one was Denkende, what literally means Thinking.. (that was my very first username)

Sooo I decided that it was time to grow up and choose a better name. In most FPS games I always choose Light Machine Gun class guns. My friends told me that they like how I always make a rain of bullets when we approach the enemies. Something like a rain of iron they said. And then I knew my new username

Last edited:

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
My first username for just about everything was game.It then evolved to game360 and now is gameky.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I went in Canada for several months. Izack can probably explain you the rest of the story :lol: