UMMU'S unrealistic dieing

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Ummu's dy at an impact with 5m/s but that's unrealistic.

Is there any trick to change that?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yes, the trick is the code need to be changed. My Eagles the ummu do not die in the vessel

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Have you ever felt a vertical impact of 5 metres per second? It doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.

For reference, this study was carried out with an impact force of 3.2 metres per second.

I'm not saying the way UMMUs behave is totally realistic, mind, but the complaint about 5 m/s impact speed isn't one of the first I'd pick.

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I object. It does not sound like a lot.

For round numbers, say g is 10m/s. After t seconds you reach ta speed, so it takes half a second to pick up 5m/s of speed. After t seconds the distance travelled is (at^2)/2=(10(0.5)^2)/2=(10(0.25))/2=(2.5/2)=1.25 meters, about 4 feet. I have indeed fallen that far, or jumped, as the case may be. If you have a second or so of advance notice and you are falling feet first with your knees bent, this doesn't even hurt. You can bound right back up and keep walking or running without hardly breaking stride.

I remember jumping from a swing set when I was in Elementary school, and probably fell 6-8 feet without issue, ready to get back on the swing and do it again.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I fell from 5 meter height feet first on grass and mud. Hurt like hell and I strained my ankle. I couldn't walk for three days, but thankfully I didn't break any bones... or worse.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Well, you know how long one meter is. Now multiply that by 5 to get 5 meters. Imagine falling that distance in one second. Seems plenty fast to me

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ummm, that's not the way it works. He said his UMMU's died after an impact of 5 m/s, not from five meters high. You do indeed reach a velocity of 4.9 m/s after a fall of about 1.2 meters on the earth surface, so his UMMU died after falling 1.2 meters. (5 meters would be an impact velocity of pretty much 10 m/s, since it takes you slightly longer than a second to fall).

The problem is of course that this might be realistic if the UMMU fell on the head... which the code doesn't check, of course. A moderately trained person can handle falls to two meters on their feet with relative ease (no problem if you land correctly, serious risk of injury if not), but has a hard time surviving a fall straight on the head from half a meter, so I guess the UMMUs would have to check for their alignement, but this isn't an athletics simulator, after all...

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
but xou can bounce with your legs and, yes it's dangerous, but you wouldn't really die immediatly. mayby you will be injured but you won't DIE. espacially if you are a trained astronaut.

docabn

Reaction score
paratroopers strike the ground at approximately 33 feet per second (10.0584 meters per second).
I survived that impact several times. :)

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I heard commandos (Spetsnaz GRU) can jump off the plane flying at 100 m above ground at 200 km/h speed (or at 60 m at 240 km/h). Of course they use special parachutes, but their trip to the ground under the fully opened 'chute takes less than a second.

Last edited:

docabn

Reaction score
And they hit the ground at about 10 m/sec
The British parachutes open at about the same altitude
most American models require about 150 + m.
And we are talking about static line opening parachutes

And for anyone who may not know what static line jumps are here is a small video.

These gentlemen strike the ground at appx 10m / sec and while that is uncomfortable the point remains that not only do you live but asside from the occasional accident they are able to get up and continue their mission.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I remember in Pakistan, the closest shortcut to school was through someone's house xD Had to make a five meter jump everyday ;)

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
now I can run 6 m/s and I did when last time I bumped into a wall last month (Im so stupid...):lol:.
Now I survived it. without bumping with my legs. direct on my face.
and I'm thirteen and not a trained astronaut.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Add-ons should really use the "Damage and failure simulation" option to see whether to simulate damage or not. Otherwise you have to provide some interface your self, or always simulate damage. Which can be annoying if you would like some epic superman UMmu.

Change byte at 0xB03B from 0x74 to 0xEB

lalbanof

Reaction score
I think that in order to kill yourself or get seriously injured you would need at least 15 m/s. For example falling from a fourth floor (12 m.) you would hit the ground at 15.5 m./sec. and be injured even if you land the best way you can. Which is landing on the balls of the feet and rolling with it. Or is there anything better?

Though there can be serious damage to the MMU suit, injury by impact with parts of the suit or a leak. And being some tens of kilograms heavier than your usual weight is sure to increase the risk of injury.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
Parkour. :)

Although astronauts aren't exactly traceurs, and they are wearing a lot of heavy gear. But they are physically fit (probably).

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I would just point out that 5m/s impact with out the suit on is easy and won't hert you much but doing the same with a space suit on would probably crush your legs.

I am assuming that the ummu suit has a similar mass the modern space suits.