Request UCGO Recovery Ships

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:)Okay,

So before I start, I just want to say that Im actually a fairly decent pilot in orbiter. But, after losing an XR5 after reentry in the middle of the Pacific ocean, 1400km from land, and after losing the recovery DGIV due to a silly mistake with the payload doors while trying to drop lifeboats to the stranded crew, it dawned on me that one of the most obvious, and most crucial pieces of a typical manned mission is missing from orbiter. Where are the Recovery Ships?!?! :lol:. Anyways, I would have taken this project up myself, but I am engaged in developing my own addon vessel, and dont really have the modelling skills to make this addon look as good as it should. So, my request is for an experienced modeller (or anyone who is interested really) to create a set of recovery vessels as UCGO cars to make sure those UMMUs dont drown in the middle of the ocean after going to Mars and back. Possible ideas:

-Coast Guard Cutter
-Aircraft Carrier
-Cargo Ship (just passing by maybe :))
-Canoe (just for fun)
-Barge (maybe could move parts/cargo/stages; SaturnV was moved this way)

So anyways anyone up for it?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There is an aircraft carrier available at the 'Hangar, and Loru has made a couple of ships. I'm sure with a bit of study these could be made into UGCO vehicles.

I'm working on a "Wasp" class (LHD-1) but it's a painfully slow process at the moment due to real-life intrusions.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1474"]USS Hornet Aircraft Carrier[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5085"]Stargazer Comm Ship[/ame]
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5084"]Container Ship[/ame]

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
There are also the SRB recovery ships that can easily be 'UCGOed' and somewhere around I put a config file for a couple of static ship meshes in the Arianne pack.

I often use these for SRB or other recovery options round Ascenion. It's also why I bugged Loru to add a harbour to CSSC :lol:

Ah ha! Here we go -> http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=239505&postcount=4 <- That config can used for any ship - just change the reference mesh.

Last edited:

markweasal

Reaction score
ships and water

speking of ships how about we add actual water (like in virtual sailor or some other boat simulator) to go with them? then we can add some realisam to the boat operations and when you mess up your landing or sucsessfuly land dragon the resulting splashdown and and possible sinking can be simulated rather than just flat out crashing and sitting still on the water
icon14.png

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It's not really possible to do much with the water in orbiter without major changes to the core. To add the ability to sink would mean that all the land masses would need to be move upwards so that the object has something to sink down from.

Lots and lots of core changes.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's not really possible to do much with the water in orbiter without major changes to the core. To add the ability to sink would mean that all the land masses would need to be move upwards so that the object has something to sink down from.

Lots and lots of core changes.

Yeah, although if Orulex is ever integrated, that might :shifty:, might be possible. Quite frankly, I think that a big hand of applause is in order for artlav/Martins for how incredible the Orbiter/Orulex combination is. I mean seriously, how great is it to land on the surface of the moon and get to take a moon walk on it? where else can you find a simulator, game, or anythiing else that lets you do that?

Vast fury

Reaction score
As of now, Orbiter still has a lot of issues when it comes to environmental realism. Well if only all orbinauts are programmers, then orbiter could have been unimaginable. But for now, all we have is the current features of orbiter. We should be grateful though, that orbiter exists, without it, there's nothing to talk or discuss about here.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think an issue would be a hard deck above the surface. So you could land on it. If you had a ship with a helipad on it you might could use attachment and grap the copter and then to take off increase hover and release. Like on the Space 1999 moonbase.

Another option is to have a ship build so the cargo hold and heli pad is on surface but below the deck. This is doable. then the heli is attached and raised to the deck level powered up and detached

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is something that might do it and more. The ship will have an elevated helipad and storage. The pad and cargo hold will have doors to cover them on top of the deck. The ship will be Ummu and UCGO. With the Elevator pad you can climb aboard from the lower deck at surface. Raise the copter and increase hover and fly away. The pad will have a attachment point. Very Similar to the Eagles and Moonbase Alpha.

In the stern by the pad will be 2 doors to open and a ramp. So if you park near a pier then you could drive a vehicle on board or at sea get a raft.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• cargoship3.jpg
    cargoship3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 43

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is something that might do it and more. The ship will have an elevated helipad and storage. The pad and cargo hold will have doors to cover them on top of the deck. The ship will be Ummu and UCGO. With the Elevator pad you can climb aboard from the lower deck at surface. Raise the copter and increase hover and fly away. The pad will have a attachment point. Very Similar to the Eagles and Moonbase Alpha.

In the stern by the pad will be 2 doors to open and a ramp. So if you park near a pier then you could drive a vehicle on board or at sea get a raft.

Any ideas?

Nice! Youre sure there isnt a way to implement a walkable surface, like the landing deck on the shukra balloon station?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not sure how he coded the shukra balloon station. I haven't played around that much with collision detection.

Since UCGO really does load the vessel. The top cargo hold covers are so you can see down into the ship. I guess if you had a crane you could lower cargo down there.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
here are 2 images: inside the helipad area. You can see the Sea King fits inside. Need to texture the walls,....
CARGOSHIP5.jpg

CARGOSHIP6.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If the helicopter has a suitable attachment, you could automatically grapple it on landing, otherwise, you can manipulate the vessel state vector directly.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I will most likely have a moveable attachment point. That matches the elevated pad. So that you could move the pad and copter up/down from the hold area. Similar to the Space1999 Moonbase Pads. So you take off from the pad just increase hover to keep from falling down and detach. And away you go.

It will also need attachment point inside so if you wanted to store a vehicle it would move with the ship.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
That looks pretty awesome gattispilot and with the work you have already done to the SH-3 I think we are going to end up with a couple of fun addons.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. One think I thought about. Is should I just make 1 big cargo section rather than 2. The reason is so you could place a crashed vessel in there. Not sure how you could get it in there though. Unless a crane is added to the ship.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A little bit more.
CARGOSHIP8.jpg

You can see the Seaking on the pad

CARGOSHIP9.jpg

I have the red box being able to move up and down the crane arm. But may stuck on the cable part which is scaled

Code:
static UINT EGrp104[1] = {GRP_cylinder02};//cable
CRANE4 = new MGROUP_SCALE(0,EGrp104, 1, _V(1,10,1), _V(1,25,1));

from What I have read the first set is the reference point and the next is the scale. But the cable scales up from the box. the red box is about 29 high.

This odd if I use this code the scale goes down
Code:
static UINT EGrp102[1] = {GRP_MESHEND};//crane end
CRANE2 = new MGROUP_TRANSLATE(0,EGrp102, 1, _V(-68,0,0));

static UINT EGrp103[1] = {GRP_cube02};//magnet
CRANE3 = new MGROUP_TRANSLATE(0,EGrp103, 1, _V(0,-29,0));

CRANE4 = new MGROUP_SCALE(0,EGrp104, 1, _V(1,29.5,1), _V(1,.08,1));
//static  MGROUP_SCALE CABLE1 (0, EGrp2, 4, _V(1,19,1), _V(1,.45,1));

anim_CRANE = CreateAnimation (0.0);
anim_CRANE1 = CreateAnimation (0.0);

parent2 = AddAnimationComponent (anim_CRANE, 0, 1, CRANE2, parent);

parent2 = AddAnimationComponent (anim_CRANE1, 0, 1, CRANE3, parent2);
parent2 = AddAnimationComponent (anim_CRANE1, 0, 1, CRANE4, parent2);

FIXED SCALING

Now the moving of the attachment point. I can get the point to move up and down. But nothing else. Looking at the attachment info is states the position is 0,29.5,0

Code:
CRANE[POS] = _V(68,29.5,48);
CRANE[DIR] = CRANE[POS] + _V(0,-1,0);
CRANE[ROT] = CRANE[POS] + _V(0,0,-1);

Code:
CRANEHEAD = CreateAttachment(false,CRANE[POS],CRANE[DIR]-CRANE[POS],CRANE[ROT]-CRANE[POS],"CRANEHEAD",false);

this works to move point up/down
Code:
{CRANE_pos.y=CRANE_INT_POS-(CABLE_proc*19.6);
SetAttachmentParams(CRANEHEAD,CRANE_pos,_V(0,1,0),_V(0,0,1));
}

Code:
//crane movement
ANIMATIONCOMPONENT_HANDLE parent, parent2;
static UINT EGrp100[1] = {GRP_cranearm};//arm

RAIL = new MGROUP_ROTATE(0,EGrp100, 1, _V(0,0,49.028), _V(0,1,0), (float)(180*RAD));
anim_RAIL = CreateAnimation (0.0);
parent = AddAnimationComponent (anim_RAIL, 0, 1, RAIL);

CRANE4 = new MGROUP_SCALE(0,EGrp104, 1, _V(1,29.75,1), _V(1,19.2,1));
//static  MGROUP_SCALE CABLE1 (0, EGrp2, 4, _V(1,19,1), _V(1,.45,1));

CRANERAIL = new MGROUP_TRANSLATE(LOCALVERTEXLIST,MAKEGROUPARRAY(CRANE),3,_V(-68,0,0));
AddAnimationComponent (anim_CRANE, 0, 1, CRANERAIL, parent);

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Rover fits in the aft section.

Ummu crew needs to be on board else as the ship moves they get left in the water.

Still need help on the attachment point.

cargoship10.jpg

caRGOSHIP11.jpg

any suggestions welcomed

palebluevoice

Loud, fat weirdo
Donator
Reaction score
Rover fits in the aft section.

Ummu crew needs to be on board else as the ship moves they get left in the water.

Still need help on the attachment point.

cargoship10.jpg

caRGOSHIP11.jpg

any suggestions welcomed

Looks amazing...Do whatever you want, but how about a radar/comm stack or something?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks

there are 2 radars

CARGOSHIP12.jpg

update

Got the attachment point to move on the x an d z axis using similar code to the RMS arm.
Code:
arm1_tip[0] = _V(68,29.5,48);
arm1_tip[1] = _V(68,28.5,48);
arm1_tip[2] = _V(68,29.5,47);

xp1=arm1_tip[1]-arm1_tip[0];normalise(xp1);
 xr1=arm1_tip[2]-arm1_tip[0];normalise(xr1);

SetAttachmentParams(CRANEHEAD,arm1_tip[0],xp1,xr1);
RAIL = new MGROUP_ROTATE(0,EGrp100, 1, _V(0,0,46.653), _V(0,1,0), (float)(180*RAD));
anim_RAIL = CreateAnimation (0.0);
parent = AddAnimationComponent (anim_RAIL, 0, 1, RAIL);

static UINT EGrp104[1] = {GRP_CABLE};//cable
CRANE4 = new MGROUP_SCALE(0,EGrp104, 1, _V(1,29.75,1), _V(1,19.2,1));

CRANERAIL = new MGROUP_TRANSLATE(LOCALVERTEXLIST,MAKEGROUPARRAY(arm1_tip),3,_V(-68,0,0));
AddAnimationComponent (anim_CRANE, 0, 1, CRANERAIL, parent);

But no change on the y value.

Last edited: