Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

Ark

Reaction score
KSP's update schedule doesn't bother me that much, because their updates seem to happen for a tangible reason. As in, when they update, there are usually significant new features being added or fixes being made. Garry's Mod updates always felt arbitrary and meaningless, like Garry just periodically decided "Yup, time to break some stuff. Screw those people." :lol:

And yeah, KSP is surprisingly stable. I've been playing for a long time with multiple mods and I've maybe had 1-2 crashes, total. Much better track record than Orbiter. :shifty:

Lazor mod is awesome. I'm staging a big space battle and base assault on Duna, complete with a battleship, 2 cruisers, 2 frigates, a beam frigate, a drone carrier, and a dropship for the assault rovers. OPFOR holds low Duna orbit and the surface base, while BLUFOR is massing the attack fleet in Ike orbit. I'm gonna crank up the max persistant debris and see if Kessler Syndrome is a real thing.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
And yeah, KSP is surprisingly stable.
I can say the same about Orbiter beta, but it wasn't the meaning of "stable" I was writing about, and I don't use KSP so I don't know how stable it is in the meaning that it doesn't crash much often.

By "stable", I meant "final", "1.0.0", "not a development version, but the final product". If I see version "0.x" I can't see it as a "stable" "final" version. A "stable" "final" version would be "1.0". :p

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Its one of the reasons not to develop for KSP, since the updates break things so often. I would find it really tough to develop for Orbiter if I had to update every few months or so too. The long breaks between Orbiter versions are actually a good thing too, since projects like IMS, Graphics clients, UMMU/UCGO would never be able to keep up at that pace. Everyone wants the next Orbiter version released until they actually start to develop. Then they start to dread new versions :lol:

:hailprobe:

That's way incorrect... Orbiter very rarely outright breaks functionality. Even the legacy code that authors should not use anymore are still in there. Any time a function is updated, it gets an Ex at the end, with interface for various versions.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's way incorrect... Orbiter very rarely outright breaks functionality. Even the legacy code that authors should not use anymore are still in there. Any time a function is updated, it gets an Ex at the end, with interface for various versions.

So what happened to all of the vessels for Orbiter 2006 that now have invisible meshes?

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I can say the same about Orbiter beta, but it wasn't the meaning of "stable" I was writing about, and I don't use KSP so I don't know how stable it is in the meaning that it doesn't crash much often.

By "stable", I meant "final", "1.0.0", "not a development version, but the final product". If I see version "0.x" I can't see it as a "stable" "final" version. A "stable" "final" version would be "1.0". :p

I've been using KSP for about a year (since .10), and its only crashed twice. I would qualify that as fairly stable.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I've been using KSP for about a year (since .10), and its only crashed twice. I would qualify that as fairly stable.

You seem to be missing Orb's point. He isn't talking about "stable" as in a lack of CTD's and bugs, but rather that it isn't at final release yet and thus still gets massive new features added every few updates.

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
A question, i really want this game but, for the demo, what's the minimum specs for it, at least?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
A question, i really want this game but, for the demo, what's the minimum specs for it, at least?

I would say have at least dual-core and a GPU. I'm not satisfied with the performance on my laptop, even on low settings, but I only have built-in graphics.
The very best test is to just get the demo and see for yourself. There are lots of video settings to play with.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
The Demo is small and free and is a very good way to measure your system before you decide to invest in this particular set of digital distraction, warning though, excessive interaction with said product can halt your academic progress to a grind.

hedzup456

Semi-poetic moron
Reaction score
Website
mypoetryramblings.blogspot.co.uk
The Demo is small and free and is a very good way to measure your system before you decide to invest in this particular set of digital distraction, warning though, excessive interaction with said product can halt your academic progress to a grind.

Academic progress? What's that? Is it anything like launcher progress, with more efficient systems?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
KSP forums just got rolled back to October. I guess this'll be a good way to see who the active addon developers are, as they're the ones who will re-update their threads...

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What happened to the forums?

Steam happened to them

I must say, I am surprised at how explosively KSP has hit the mainstream gamer audience with its move to steam. Every time they have those big growths in popularity, I keep figuring they've hit the ceiling in terms of audience.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Steam happened to them

I must say, I am surprised at how explosively KSP has hit the mainstream gamer audience with its move to steam. Every time they have those big growths in popularity, I keep figuring they've hit the ceiling in terms of audience.

Just wait for some power player in the industry to mention it (not counting Notch).

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just wait for some power player in the industry to mention it (not counting Notch).

Not sure if the industry as its traditionally thought of would be a big fan of KSP. KSP is not unique in being a highly successful indie developed game right now, but they proved the concept of an indie game done by an online team could work, and they did it in a really tough genre to boot.

All of the big game development companies that thrived on the conventional way of making games for the last decade or so are dead. That is, unless they come to their senses and find a way to merge into the new style

If you cant beat em, join em...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
KSP is open ended enough to appeal to casual gamers and ALSO people who want to send a lot of time in it doing more complex stuff.
Also the visual style helps a lot. :thumbup:

And it has two things that sell: VCs and a surface you can land/walk on.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, there are countless Youtube let's play videos, most of which are pretty entertaining. Some big names playing it too on there.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What happened to the forums?
"Unexpected" success.
Small development teams, OSS, indie, or commercial alike, often don't quite believe that they would be very successful, so the sites and servers are usually not prepared in advance for a big success.

Bad thing is, it happened to KSP before, several times, and they still were not prepared.

captcurious

Reaction score
kerbal space program

Nicely done great looking program look forward to final release. love the graphics. with a pinch of humor:thumbup:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It seems that forum & servers problems are consuming a lot of the team time, skills and resources, which is somewhat a pity.