Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

AlfalfaQc

Future Rocket Engineer
Reaction score
It doesn't predict any position by itself. It only uses the built it maneuver nodes feature to predict anything. I can't check it right now, but the future position should get displayed if you set the node that the path will cross another body's SOI (setting the body as the target might help, too), or you may need set another node just after the one you moved in the future as the one which will be the actual burn (without the 1st one changing any dV).

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant, but with the actual node system you cannot plan more than one orbit later. Let say an orbit is 30 min, you cannot plan a manoeuvre for 40 mins in the future. With this add-on you can.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
North Polar Bace:
ksp_9.png

The main module and rover are in the foreground, with an equipment package some 200m behind them.

The purpose of the base is mostly a showy way of getting the polar science, and practice landing modules in atmosphere. The rover was landed vertically on a three-legged stand, then one leg was retracted. It seems like a pretty reliable way of delivering them, even on fairly high-gravity worlds like Kerbin.

Now that some more interesting areas of the tech tree are finally unlocked, the really interesting missions can begin. The Jool window opens in two weeks. :)

Pablo49

Reaction score
Not vanilla, but allows moving the node past one orbit into the future, and using only the maneuver node system: PreciseNode. It doesn't feel like cheating while using it, and you can fine tune the nodes to a couple of decimal places precision (time, delta-v), too.
Does this by chance fix not being able to set a node sometimes when you have a intercept coming up? I have noticed sometimes on interplanetary trips, if I get an encounter in my orbit, I can no longer select my orbit to place a node, it will only select my orbit after encounter. So like an orbit into the future. Cannot select my orbit no matter how far I zoom in. That is, by far, the most annoying thing. I usually adjust my orbit to get an encounter, then back out a bit so I can do course corrections later.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Does this by chance fix not being able to set a node sometimes when you have a intercept coming up?
Yes. For example I fixed with this a correction node I couldn't set when I was going to Minmus, because of Mun intercept that appeared in the next orbit (and Minmus intercept in 1st orbit somehow disappeared at the same time). I simply set a node where I could, and then moved it with this tool to the correct place/time and tweaked the dV.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A Munar rover discovers something revolutionary:
ksp_10.png

A later expedition will attempt to take samples of the mysterious floating boulder. The fact that this discovery could make rockets entirely obsolete caused one of the rover teleoperators to die on the spot. Particularly gutsy scientists are still analysing the implications.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got a Kerbal today named Buzz Kerman. Sweet. :cool:

My flatmate had a look at my screen while something like this was happening, and said "hey look, it's you!"

ksp_11.png

Accurate. This guy's just having the time of his life with all this space everywhere. Spaaaaaaaaaaaace...

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I must admit that I'm totally addicted to Kerbal, ever since there is the Kerbal Interstellar mod out there, which brings nuclear technologies in the research tree... I wish we could build an interface to emulate the VAB/SPH buildings in Orbiter ... maybe some hack of Spacecraft3 could do it...

In the meantime, I'm on the edge of finishing discovery of antimatter reactors for my torchships :)

MattBaker

Reaction score
I haven't seen it posted here but maybe some of you don't follow Kerbal news:
Main goals of 0.24

I really like the sound of the contracts. I mean currently you can just go "And I'll timewarp 200 days until there's the ideal launch window...done." but with contracts you have to plan your missions more. You have a deadline so a lot less trial & error launches, I like that. It could make the game more challenging and give you directions, currently I find myself sitting infront of KSP not knowing what to launch next to gather more science.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really like the sound of the contracts. I mean currently you can just go "And I'll timewarp 200 days until there's the ideal launch window...done." but with contracts you have to plan your missions more. You have a deadline so a lot less trial & error launches, I like that. It could make the game more challenging and give you directions, currently I find myself sitting infront of KSP not knowing what to launch next to gather more science.

I like this direction too. I only wish there was something in there about the science system - it still doesn't feel finished. A lot of people are wanting long-duration experiments, for example, which would finally give purpose to space stations and planetary bases. Say, a certain amount of science per week or month on the effects of microgravity on Kerbal physiology.

"The crew appear to be getting bored."
"The crew don't appear to react well to switching the oxygen off."
"After months in space, the crew's skins seem to be turning a gentle shade of purple."
"Gregberry Kerman has discovered a revolutionary new card game."
"The kerbals are starting to wonder if Mission Control has forgotten about them."

Or a study of primitive life on Laythe or something, depending on what direction the developers want to take there.

Anyway, not up to us to decide (though we can make mods to do this). The contract thing sounds like it will really add some more structure to career mode, and make exploring the Kerbal system a more fulfilling experience. We're probably also a step closer to currency now.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yesterday, in the quest for an ever increasing amount of moar science, I had the brilliant idea of building a Minmus-hopper, namely a lander with two material science bays and four Mystery Goo containment units and then use said craft to hop around the various biomes.

Of course, LKO tests being only for the weak of spirit, I found out only in Minmusian orbit (is that even a word?) that the radially attached fuel tanks of the last-stage/lander couldn't feed fuel and oxidizer to the lone LV-909 engine.

Jebediah valiantly tried to abort the mission using only RCS, which was enough to break free of Minmus, but not much else.

He then decided to get out, push, get in, replenish his EVA fuel stock, get out, and push again...bringing down his orbital velocity from about 220 m/s to ~70, with about 4 m/s per "push".

WT0Ifjh.png

As this obviously hadn't been challenging/boring enough, the battery depleted and for the last eight or so pushes the SAS wasn't able to contrast the never-quite perfect and thus off-center thrust of the lone Kerbonaut. In the end, however, the periapsis was brought down to about 23 m/sm making a picture-perfect re-entry possible:

fK8Du7K.png

This was followed by the initial opening of the single parachute.

Which was ripped off the craft at full inflation, 500 m AGL.

Jeb then plummeted these last meters, his impact cushioned by the two material science bays, the engine, the RCS tank and the four full and unused 1-meter tanks.

The pod, one landing leg and one Mystery Goo containment unit survived.

X8B6teb.png

EDIT: apologies for the wonky screenshots, but when using Steam's in-home streaming screenshot apparently fail to get taken the "normal" way.

Last edited:

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
How do you bring large amounts of Kethane to the KSC to test future Kethane powered craft?
Of course, with the Valkyrie:

Or landing an electric VTOL on Duna (btw: on know of the typo :p):

These are my first ever made videos. So please excuse the low quality.

A future video is in the making, concerning the "Duna Direct" mission.
Here some first impression:

The return vehicle with integrated, modular kethane refining equiptment has landed and is fueling it's empty tanks:

Successfull landing of the first Kerbals to ever set foot on a world outside the Kerbin-System. In the Background their Hab and Transfermodule, in which they'll stay for 200 days:

Having landet the Versatile Utiltiy Vehicle including a science lab and a manned version of eUAV VTOL:

Last edited:

wingnut

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It appears someone continued working on the kOS scriptable autopilot system and made it compatible with the latest version of KSP. Further to this it seems to be integrated with the Remote Tech plugin.

Did anyone already play KSP with RT and the updated kOS?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The design phase of an ambitious crewed Duna mission is complete. I'm nearing the second Duna window in the campaign, and only one probe has ever flown by the red world. The two intrepid kerbals are flying into the unknown in a vessel composed of three parts - a nuclear propulsor, crew module, and Kethane-equipped lander. I only unlocked the parts for it some days before the window, so there is little time to test the hardware. With the ability to refine Kethane, it should be possible to make orbit from the surface. More details and pictures after my shift is over, though doubtless you've all done this eight million times already. :p

---------- Post added 28-02-14 at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 27-02-14 at 08:23 AM ----------

ksp_12.png

Here is the manned stack, carrying two Kerbals and some science equipment to Duna. The propulsive stage is to the left, and the lander is to the right. Sandwiched between them is the habitation and instrumentation module, equipped with advanced communication, life support and video game technologies for their journey through the void. But first, a visit to the refineries of Minmus for a top-up.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Crewed Laythe mission time!

Jool Express:
QPeW5ZS.jpg

6p0drjC.jpg

First modular tank section jettison:
uoqvuck.jpg

gvguNo5.jpg

Jool Aerobrake:
Kl0rt9i.jpg

ANn1qHx.jpg

Tylo fly-by:
mcYF3fy.jpg

Vall fly-by:
J5PHnjt.jpg

Final Laythe encounter adjustment:
F66cqdC.jpg

6oY5SGH.jpg

Deorbit burn:
3707c2Y.jpg

h5CTkln.jpg

bgvMOiJ.jpg

eV5KTvF.jpg

FPqhMpo.jpg

YHs7qBn.jpg

Rover mode:
kYH74mU.jpg

QyaS5La.jpg

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I restarted career mode (again) and while I'm waiting for additional points to unlock some required parts I'm still missing, I designed in a sandbox a mobile laboratory I'll send to Duna next (this is only a test from the sandbox mode). It's missing materials lab, but I'll send that with another vessel (probably as another lander on the same stack):

Retractable landing gear is used as its wheels, so in order to move it around I've put 2 pairs of linear RCS thrusters at side girders:

Small docking ports at sides will be most likely used for docking rovers, and medium ports at ends for attaching to other modules I'll land later:

It landed without problems (with Deadly Reentry) on a small slope using only parachutes (then I rolled it to a flat place), so it should be fine too in the career mode, unless it will land on some steep hillside.

Swigert

0% Sugar Free
Reaction score
And while y'all are landing on Duna and Jool's moons, I can barley land a small probe on Eve, and with a slightly modified version of that probe design, I can land on on Duna. I am yet to successfully and safely land a probe on Duna...Without destroying 2/4 or more of the wheels. I get worried that I am descending too slowly...So I keep my sky crane's engines off. :rolleyes:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hungry for more Science, the Kerbals send their new Minmus explorer out.

ksp_13.png

Included are two small rocket-chairs for extra hilarity science.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A new series of Explorator class vessels is being produced. The first test, docked to a fueling station in Minmus orbit:

screenshot2015.png

And the nearly-completed Explorator 3, heading for the Jool system soon:

ksp_15.png

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

Explorator 3 on its shakedown flight to the Mun.

screenshot2288.png

The goals for this flight are to test the lander and Kethane extraction systems, as well as to pick up two additional crew members from Munbace 1. During that time, the orbiting main body will collect and process gravioli science to return to Kerbin, so that, even during its long flight to Jool, its successor, Explorator 4, can become a reality. Research, development and construction are expected to progress quickly, and Explorator 4 should be able to rendezvous with Explorator 3 at Jool only some months after the latter's arrival there. Ex4 will bring equipment for exploring Laythe's surface, the one Joolean moon Ex3 will be unable to visit.

I'm a little proud of the ship, though it has some major design flaws. Meta-materials haven't been researched yet, so the small docking ports wobble an awful lot while under acceleration. Ex4 should be a more capable vessel.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
KSP update 0.23.5 landed on Steam 10 minutes ago.