Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Richy's right - it's a large Kethane converter. In between the six tanks on that segment, there's a huge, but currently empty Kethane reserve.

Like in Voyage to the Planets, there are a small set of large Kethane refineries at several points in the solar system, ready to refuel this ship on its grand tour.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, thats were the solar panel layout came from? :D

Partly that, and partly just from previous iterations of the design:
screenshot2472.png

(Visible toward the rear.)

The main flaw with this one is that there isn't a good spot for a lander, because of the claw.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
screenshot555.png

My docking ports are shrinking!

Strangely, no one else seems to have experienced (or at least reported) this problem, as far as I can tell.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I've encountered that problem, but only with KW parts.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Is this KW rocketry's "3.75m Dual Purpose Docking Ring"? I just checked it and noticed it doesn't have rescaleFactor. Does it help if you add this to its configuration file just under 'scale'?:
Code:
rescaleFactor = 1.25

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are two 'scale' parameters, one inside the MODEL braces and one after it. Putting your line after the second did nothing, putting it behind the first caused the part to explode on loading. That was unexpected...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
One of the ports on your screenshot looks like is using rescaleFactor 1.00 (the smaller) and another like the default 1.25. The 1.25 should be default, when it isn't present in the cfg, but maybe there's some bug and one of them took 1.00 and another 1.25. If anything, putting rescaleFactor should enforce the same factor for these docking ports, and not change their default scale (which should be 1.25 if rescale factor isn't present).

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Additional experimenting: Changing the scale factor inside MODEL made the small one the correct size and the formerly correct one too big.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
You can also check in the save file if you have something like scale, scaleFactor, or rescaleFactor set for KW3mDockingRing_<number> parts, and if there are, change them to the same number. :shrug:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
This was done a long time ago, so I'm not 100% sure if I'm right here, but IIRC, the scaleFactor parameter in the cfg will affect not the mesh itself, but rather the scaling of cfg-defined coordinates. That parameter, if set to 10, for instance, will place attachment nodes and fx sources treating each unit as 10m, instead of the default 1.

That was meant to help out in modelling assets, way back in the day, before we had a set of Unity based tools to export, and models were loaded straight from fbx or obj right out of your modelling software. If you were using 3Ds Max, for instance, and had your scene calibrated to 1 unit = 0.1 meters (I use that since 1:1m is way too small in 3Ds Max), you could set your scaleFactor to 10 to compensate, and use coordinates taken straight from the 3D scene to place nodes and fx.

These days, you can place a transform in unity to figure out those coordinates without worrying about scaling, so you should just leave it at the default 1.0

Now, rescaleFactor, that one does affect the size of the meshes. It was added in update .16, when EVAs made their first appearance. We realized then that the scale of things had to be tweaked so Kerbals could be set up properly. Otherwise, they would have been too small for the physics to handle them properly. As a result, everything had to be scaled, and the rescaleFactor was added (and set to default to 1.25), so mods wouldn't be forced to have all their parts rescaled manually.

Now, what I can't quite remember is whether the rescaleFactor applies itself over the scaleFactor parameter or not. That is, if you set rescaleFactor to 1.25 and scaleFactor to 1.0, I'm not sure if your nodes and fx would end up at the right spot, or be too small for the model. I'm almost sure rescale is independently adjustable, so leaving scaleFactor at 1.0 would be correct, but the quickest way to know for sure is to have a go at it. If your ship blows up after resuming, your nodes are probably the wrong size for the model.

The easy way to test is to set up the Unbreakable Joints cheat in the debug toolbar before loading, so things don't go flying everywhere if they do end up clipping. You can toggle the debug menu with Alt+F12. Make sure to do a quicksave (F5) to have an easy to re-test save state.

Also, Alt+F5 will let you name your quicksave file, and Alt+F9 will let you choose a file to load.

Happy Tweaking! :)

Cheers

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I was having fun trying out the new asteroid redirect feature. I had a probe traveling to visit my first asteroid (which is on a collision course with Kerbin no less), it was all going along smoothly, just a simple fly-by mission to see what the rock looks like and perform some science along the way. I had left Kerbin's SOI and was 8 days away from the asteroid. I left the mission running at 1x, just real time, in map mode while I went out to water the lawn. I came back inside and it says my vehicle was destroyed... WTF? So I just wasted a day doing a real time 9 day mission for nothing? No engines were running, nothing was happening, it was just an unmanned probe left alone doing nothing running in realtime, and it mysteriously destroyed itself? Are random failures now implemented?

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My theory apart from a bug: Collision with stray debris?

Kessler and Murphy United!

Messierhunter

Reaction score
My theory apart from a bug: Collision with stray debris?

Kessler and Murphy United!
I can't imagine what, it was beyond Kerbin's SOI (still 8 days from the asteroid though), and when I looked at the screen after it was destroyed there was literally nothing there. There's now a cloud of debris orbiting the sun from the probe, about 6 pieces, all of it related to the probe. The only piece it could have been was the booster stage that put it on the trajectory towards the asteroid, but I put a decent amount of delta-V between me and it since launch, over 200 m/s I believe. Still possible I guess, but all of that booster's parts are still intact when I switch to it, where as my probe only has a few pieces left :(.

Ah well, :hailprobe:

I just hope whatever it was, bug or mistake, doesn't strike my little kerbals on the manned attempt to divert the asteroid.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I've found that 0.23.5 has been slightly unstable on really long runs, causing ships to randomly detonate.

My opinion: Someone has forgotten to refill the Kraken repellant tanks again. :p

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I've found that 0.23.5 has been slightly unstable on really long runs, causing ships to randomly detonate.

My opinion: Someone has forgotten to refill the Kraken repellant tanks again. :p
I think I found other bugs too, pretty severe game-breaking ones. Certain parts that I previously researched are no longer available to build, it claims I need an entry purchase in R&D - when I go back to R&D I see some parts still show that they're "owned" and have already been researched, others in the same category of research have their buttons popped up and act like I need to purchase them again, almost as if I need the credits they're listed for. I thought credits (as in money, not research) wasn't in the game yet. I'm not using any mods to simulate the mission or credit system. End result, very basic stock parts like rockomax fuel containers and the "skipper" engine are no longer available in the VAB, but shockingly I can still use rockets that I had already built and saved with these parts on this save. I now seem to be pretty much stuck with the rockets I've already built, all I can safely do is shift the payloads around up top and hope that I can gather enough science with my current rocket manifest without needing more payload capacity to advance to the next list of bigger rocket parts.

Kerbal space program is great fun... when it works.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think I found other bugs too, pretty severe game-breaking ones. Certain parts that I previously researched are no longer available to build, it claims I need an entry purchase in R&D - when I go back to R&D I see some parts still show that they're "owned" and have already been researched, others in the same category of research have their buttons popped up and act like I need to purchase them again, almost as if I need the credits they're listed for. I thought credits (as in money, not research) wasn't in the game yet. I'm not using any mods to simulate the mission or credit system. End result, very basic stock parts like rockomax fuel containers and the "skipper" engine are no longer available in the VAB, but shockingly I can still use rockets that I had already built and saved with these parts on this save. I now seem to be pretty much stuck with the rockets I've already built, all I can safely do is shift the payloads around up top and hope that I can gather enough science with my current rocket manifest without needing more payload capacity to advance to the next list of bigger rocket parts.

Kerbal space program is great fun... when it works.

Click the part in the R&D tree and then click research. or something like that.