Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i had a lot of hilarious failures in the first rockets, stage collitions, oscilations, control failures

If I'm launching a wobbly one, I always bind 'Toggle Gimbal' to an action group. If gimbal is locked the risk of staging collisions is greatly reduced.
Active CMGs far away from CoG can also induce 'wet-spagettification'. :lol:

b_griffin

Reaction score
Your station looks awesome.
I tried to started building bigger stations like that but I notice that my framerate drops like crazy and it gets really hard to dock anything to it...
Did you experience any issues like that?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Wow orb, beautiful work! What's your framerate around that behemoth?

Your station looks awesome.
I tried to started building bigger stations like that but I notice that my framerate drops like crazy and it gets really hard to dock anything to it...
Did you experience any issues like that?
At that configuration presented on my last screenshots, my frame rate drops to around 10-15 FPS. It isn't still hard to dock one more module (for example a double cupola on top and bottom of crew container with a 1.25m docking port at back, which I docked at the hub in a duplicated test profile, before the actual launch in my main save), but then it drops to 5 FPS and below if I get another spacecraft around the station.

I guess I'll redo the station in a new profile after merging batteries and RCS tanks with the crew cabins and with the truss into new parts (with added models, mass and resources of the merged components). That should reduce the parts count at least by a half, and will allow me to add more than 5 modules to the station I docked in orbit so far.

This won't be of course stock parts anymore, but the new parts will be using only the stock models.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Being more bored than usual, I took Jeb on a world tour in a modified Albatross 3. One extra fuel tank and two drop tanks and the thing is ready for a 3 hour non-stop from KSP -> KSP. :lol:
screenshot29.jpg
A final look before the Techs put the parts back on the shelves.

Hartmann

Reaction score
i started to use mods and there are a lot of interesting stuff to do.there are parts from shuttles, apolo, fairings...

For example build this craft in kerbal is very easy with a few parts and do real exploration with scientific payload.

it´s a russian concept for a mars mission from orbithangar

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4562"]Mars 1994 – Russian Mars Transfer Vehicle 1.0[/ame]

M94.jpg

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
So I've finally bought KSP just before the weekend and I've done some awesome flights over the weekend. The last time I played was just after initial release, 2 years ago. Man, things have changed :lol:

Anyway, this is what I call "precision landing":

D76E05544896F88A8887C5457524890B4D5B14B1

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I've finally bought KSP just before the weekend and I've done some awesome flights over the weekend. The last time I played was just after initial release, 2 years ago. Man, things have changed :lol:

Anyway, this is what I call "precision landing":

D76E05544896F88A8887C5457524890B4D5B14B1

You missed! Just by that much :lol:

I still personally enjoy Orbiter a fair bit more than KSP, but I do like to play it on occasion. The inclusion of a collisions & structural simulation does make for some great fun while developing rocket families.

In my 0.20 program, I mostly relied on robust, mid-capacity launchers to send small payloads to my munar surface activities. The core of this was this versatile, Delta IV-lookalike

eeOhwUg.png

ibEo6D2.png

After starting over again in 0.21, I decided to try a different route with my next launch family. The Upnwego I series was my first successful use of cluster design in KSP.

43itkR6.png

(Although that first version above did not go well if I remember correctly)

The Upnwego II was a success building off of the I series, allowing Jebediah to make a giant leap for Kerbalkind with the IIF model.

OeUimez.png

As you can see in the background, the IIF series and previous were designed to carry only a small automated surface experiments package on one side. This was less than satisfactory, but was used anyways in order to meet the Eve transfer window

REcDhvD.png

nTqnTJo.png

Unfortunately the parachute-assisted landing was not successful, stranding Burbles Kerman on Eve forever.

ogu0qUx.png

Always kinda funny taking that picture. Its cool to plant the flag, but I think we need to hire some more Kerbalnauts...

The Upnwego II landing vehicle was then heavily redesigned for the next landing, placing two rover vehicles on either side of the main fuel tank.

05Xv71D.png

Upper stage propulsion was also made nuclear, a significant boost in Delta-Vee.

The deployment sequence

QNF7W7L.png

2CHLcL5.png

Unfortunately the lander touched down incorrectly, necessitating an open-close maneuver to upright the vehicle. A glitch appeared to damage the vessel during this, leaving Bill Kerman stranded forever as well.

gA9TZua.png

On the plus side, rover deployment was flawless! :thumbup:

I later launched a habitat to Eve for Burbles

1CvHfkf.png

And did a safe landing on Ike, which I should be able to safely send Bob Kerman home from! 1/3 isnt bad is it?

Weh5rFE.png

pk6rN5R.png

lgdo25f.png

Thats one small step for, Oh forget it.

2YAiWnC.png

Zv1Cnon.png

Im now working on the Upnwego V series, designed to carry a crew of 3 to other planets in a single, FPS reasonable launch.

xt48Tkt.png

cYGokd6.png

MattBaker

Reaction score

If I might suggest something:
If you have your Upnwego V ready you might think about launching it with two, send only one down to the surface and pick up the stranded Kerbal, relaunch with both, rendevouz and you have three for the flight back.
Sounds like quite a challenge to do an accurate Duna landing without mods.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I might suggest something:
If you have your Upnwego V ready you might think about launching it with two, send only one down to the surface and pick up the stranded Kerbal, relaunch with both, rendevouz and you have three for the flight back.
Sounds like quite a challenge to do an accurate Duna landing without mods.

Its an interesting idea, but I don't know if it will work. The launcher isn't fully maxed out payload wise, but it is pretty close. The lander in the middle was only meant to act as a atmospheric lander; the retros drop its orbit, and the chutes allow for a soft touchdown, with or without a Kerbal inside.

The design was mostly influenced by my experiences with similar projects, where fuel tankage tended to balloon weight out of control in the final payload. This design uses almost none by comparison.

However, I havent really utilized my Kethane functionality yet. After discovering the horrifying secret behind how the Kerbal->Kethane part works, I dont want to use that, but a targeted landing into a Kethane-rich area might allow for sufficient ISRU to get home. The problem is just that the Kethane parts are so inflexible & so damn heavy

Anyways...

Consider that challenge accepted Matt ;)

I think Ill show these KSP people just how its done

:hailprobe:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yeah, I just got Kethane last night... left the computer running as I slept with a mapping satellite in a polar orbit around Mun. I'm now launching a technology demonstrator to a high-concentration Kethane field for the purpose of learning how the drills and converters work. If it's successful, I will then use ISRU to return to LKO using native-made fuels, and this will give me the confidence to send a crew to Duna at the next launch window.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I just got Kethane last night... left the computer running as I slept with a mapping satellite in a polar orbit around Mun. I'm now launching a technology demonstrator to a high-concentration Kethane field for the purpose of learning how the drills and converters work. If it's successful, I will then use ISRU to return to LKO using native-made fuels, and this will give me the confidence to send a crew to Duna at the next launch window.

I've been unsuccessful so far, but I'm working on a Kethane mission on the Mün now. I landed a moon base followed by a kethane converter (and empty tank). For whatever reason, I didn't realize I could just put the drill on that same spacecraft... so I'll still be launching a third craft as planned :lol: and unfortunately I'll have to both land safely AND be able to connect the two spacecraft on the surface.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Mission was quasi-successful. Didn't land back at the KSC as planned (not quite enough dV), but splashed down hard within 200km of my target. Return was fuelled entirely by locally generated fuel, and the craft did both an aerocapture and aerobrake manuever, my first of each in KSP. All in all, not bad for a first attempt with a bunch of secondary and tertiary mission extensions thrown on! :lol:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I'm thinking I should have launched vehicles with wheels instead of legs. Trying to move a top-heavy vehicle across the surface and land again on skinny legs is a pain compared to just roving into place. :p

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
I've been unsuccessful so far, but I'm working on a Kethane mission on the Mün now. I landed a moon base followed by a kethane converter (and empty tank). For whatever reason, I didn't realize I could just put the drill on that same spacecraft... so I'll still be launching a third craft as planned :lol: and unfortunately I'll have to both land safely AND be able to connect the two spacecraft on the surface.

You can use Kerbal Attachment System parts and a kerbal to stick the ships together without the trouble of docking!

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
You can use Kerbal Attachment System parts and a kerbal to stick the ships together without the trouble of docking!

Will do! :D Still learning teh mods.
Also, I'm planning to do the next mission after the 0.22 update to make assembly easier.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
0.22 is reportedly going to include actual science missions... FOR SCIENCE!!!
*runs to VAB*