Project SSU HI RES Textures

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I thought the LRSI ended right where the PBD "yellow crane" attachment points start
View attachment 15717
Those are the "zero-g strongback mechanism" attachment points. The PLBDs can't be operated in a 1-G environment so in the OPF they attach these strongbacks which are part of the OPF's "zero-g simulation system".

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Working on refining OV-102 "early" textures. Here is the rudder showing different tiles shape and orientation. Definetly one of the most challenging parts to reproduce in detail.

View attachment 15749

View attachment 15748

Disregard the engraved text on the root section. It 's just a NM mistake

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Very nice. I notice a little white showing at the base of the speed break.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice. I notice a little white showing at the base of the speed break.

Yeah, it's been there since the beginning and I couldn't get rid of it. Doesn't matter how far I go with the black tiles painting in that area the white LRSI still shows :shrug:

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It probably needs to be remapped to the mesh.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It probably needs to be remapped to the mesh.
I'm working on that right now, although I need a bit of your help. What would be the best way of chamfering the leading edges of the vertical stabilizer in AC3D?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
OV-102 Columbia early version is pretty much done, just need to work on the OMS pods. Challenger will follow (just need to add the differences)

View attachment 15750

View attachment 15751

View attachment 15752

View attachment 15753

View attachment 15754
Seems like you forgot the HRSI tiles around the forward most vent doors on the midbody. That was something only Columbia and Challenger had thanks to to the LRSI tiles. And you can pretty much reuse the Columbia texture for Challenger as they were originally planned to be identical in TPS configuration.

Columbia was in fact delivered with the same wing chine configuration as Challenger and it was only due to an early thermal analysis that Columbia gained the new very recognizable black wing chines. They were added sometime in July 1980 while Columbia was still in the OPF being readied for STS-1.

This is a photo of Columbia arriving at the Dryden Flight Research Center (DRFC, the NASA center at Edwards Air Force Base) on the Overland Transporter (OLT) for her delivery ferry flight to KSC in March 1979: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m72gpq5stvj7cqh/STS1-0083-ROCKWELL-3.8.79.jpg?dl=0
Note the wings, no black tiles or paint. The OMS pods were the ALTA units "borrowed" from Enterprise as LV-01/RV-01 (the OMS pod designations for the first flight units) had already been shipped to KSC's Hypergolic Maintenance Facility (HMF) for the final integration work.

---------- Post added 05-02-18 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-01-18 at 08:27 PM ----------

I also noted that the elevons aren't quite right either. Good photos can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pgkzjoym9x1fy5m/AABoqstOYdGLjx-O6BJ1nfBXa?dl=0

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm working on that right now, although I need a bit of your help. What would be the best way of chamfering the leading edges of the vertical stabilizer in AC3D?
I don't know what you mean.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't know what you mean.
I'm talking about rounding the leading edges of the vertical stabilizer. Right now, they're flat and sharp but they should be smooth and rounded.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
'knife' the tail in half. then move the new center vertices forward to make it more rounded.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
'knife' the tail in half. then move the new center vertices forward to make it more rounded.
Thanks. You haven't come across any scripts or plugins that automates this process like GMAX does?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here is one I just modified.

Attachments

• rounded_tail.ac.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 2

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Refining OV-102 textures - question:

I am not sure if part of the black TPS on the Columbia wings is "plain" or if the whole area is covered with HRSI black tiles. This pictures suggests that part of the surface is plain black (STS-58 on launch pad)

View attachment 15764

Maybe Dave or someone else can confirm this?

Thanks

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Refining OV-102 textures - question:

I am not sure if part of the black TPS on the Columbia wings is "plain" or if the whole area is covered with HRSI black tiles. This pictures suggests that part of the surface is plain black (STS-58 on launch pad)

View attachment 15764

Maybe Dave or someone else can confirm this?

Thanks
It's a combination of black painted FRSI (Felt Reusable Surface Insulation) and ordinary HRSI (High temperature Reusable Surface Insulation) tiles. Once again, I refer you to photos of Challenger. Columbia and Challenger was originally going to have identical TPS configurations.

But a thermal analysis done in early 1980 indicated that some of the hydraulic lines that ran from the MLG wheel wells to the NLG wheel well could get too cold on-orbit so they decided to just paint the affected areas black to address this issue on Columbia. But later flight data from STS-1 showed that this paint was unnecessary so they left it as-is (regular white FRSI/LRSI) on Challenger.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's a combination of black painted FRSI (Felt Reusable Surface Insulation) and ordinary HRSI (High temperature Reusable Surface Insulation) tiles. Once again, I refer you to photos of Challenger. Columbia and Challenger was originally going to have identical TPS configurations.

But a thermal analysis done in early 1980 indicated that some of the hydraulic lines that ran from the MLG wheel wells to the NLG wheel well could get too cold on-orbit so they decided to just paint the affected areas black to address this issue on Columbia. But later flight data from STS-1 showed that this paint was unnecessary so they left it as-is (regular white FRSI/LRSI) on Challenger.

Thanks Dave.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Adding more details to the OV-102 textures.

PB doors hinges as per Columbia and Challenger early config
View attachment 15767

Nose section: new HRSI and LRSI added (more to come)
View attachment 15768

New panels and ports on mid fuselage section
View attachment 15769

Rear fuselage vents and ports added (Lower Centaur RBUS Carrier Plate Foot Cavity was part of OV-102?..)
View attachment 15770

I thought I would not go that far into details but I am actually having fun trying to make Columbia look like the real one :lol:

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Rear fuselage vents and ports added (Lower Centaur RBUS Carrier Plate Foot Cavity was part of OV-102?..)
View attachment 15770
Nope. Only Challenger and Atlantis were ever modified for Centaur missions. Atlantis retained both cavities right up to her last mod period when she was repainted with the NASA meatballs(between STS-86 and STS-101). Challenger was modified with the RBUS cavities between STS-51A and STS-51B. She was due for further mods once she arrived back in the OPF after STS-51L (which is why KSC wanted her launched ASAP on STS-51L) including a port side aft compartment TPS mod where some of the FRSI would be replaced by AFRSI. This shows where the TPS was going be altered: https://www.dropbox.com/s/im87qb3mfdx3lb0/OV099_TPS_mod.jpg?dl=0

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Very nice Wolf. Can you look at the Danger Arrow on the cockpit roof. It looks a little too big, and kind of crooked. It could be the mesh.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Nope. Only Challenger and Atlantis were ever modified for Centaur missions. Atlantis retained both cavities right up to her last mod period when she was repainted with the NASA meatballs(between STS-86 and STS-101). Challenger was modified with the RBUS cavities between STS-51A and STS-51B. She was due for further mods once she arrived back in the OPF after STS-51L (which is why KSC wanted her launched ASAP on STS-51L) including a port side aft compartment TPS mod where some of the FRSI would be replaced by AFRSI. This shows where the TPS was going be altered: https://www.dropbox.com/s/im87qb3mfdx3lb0/OV099_TPS_mod.jpg?dl=0

STS-41G? :shrug: