Project SSU HI RES Textures

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice Wolf. Can you look at the Danger Arrow on the cockpit roof. It looks a little too big, and kind of crooked. It could be the mesh.

I can try to resize them a bit, still the main issue is with the mesh. That area still generates some major distortions. Here you can see how the EJECTION PANEL signs and the LRSI tiles on both sides are also affected

View attachment 15774

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Testing some improvements on the nose cap: wanted to see how the "seams" would look (these are too thick but it s just a first trial).

View attachment 15777

View attachment 15778

Problem is the seams in side view draw a very awkward zig-zag pattern and the outcome is not very nice.
View attachment 15779

Another mesh issue?

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Since the nose cone is applied from a front on angle. The vertices around the sides need to be stretched to get rid of the distortion.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Since the nose cone is applied from a front on angle. The vertices around the sides need to be stretched to get rid of the distortion.

Would it be possible to fix this? I d really like to add the seams to the cap. IMHO it would look much better

Gingin

Reaction score
Very very nice. Love the FC purge port, do not block, so many details :)

You said it is for SSU 5.0, is it release or you have access to the dev version?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very very nice. Love the FC purge port, do not block, so many details :)

You said it is for SSU 5.0, is it release or you have access to the dev version?

Nope, 5.0 won't be released anytime soon as the dev team is still working on it.
I started the textures for 5.0 but since we will probably deal with 4.2 for quite a while that's what I am working on now.
Columbia and Challenger (early versions) are almost done and will soon join Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavour (which have been alreday released) with a new texture release. Since the new release will include the latter, time permitting I will probably do some tweaking for them (one thing reported by DaveS is the orbiters white areas still look a bit too "green" so that will be fixed together with some minor texture changes)

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Would it be possible to fix this issue?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I could do the nose section and send it to DaveS for attachment if he would like.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I could do the nose section and send it to DaveS for attachment if he would like.
That would be great. I think that it always has been like that, as that part has never been touched since it was initially created and mapped.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This has the vertices stretched at the edges, but it needs a detailed nose texture to show it. It is mapped to the texture you gave me awhile ago.

Attachments

• HiResNose.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 6

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Checked in the updated orbiter mesh. This one should correct the issue with the vertical stabilizer. I also transferred some of the changes that I made to the 5.0 mesh over this one to create a better symmetry between the two. This required some alterations to the actual textures, so Wolf you need to update the Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavour textures.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Checked in the updated orbiter mesh. This one should correct the issue with the vertical stabilizer. I also transferred some of the changes that I made to the 5.0 mesh over this one to create a better symmetry between the two. This required some alterations to the actual textures, so Wolf you need to update the Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavour textures.

Please, I need to know if this is the final mesh you are releasing or if you may change it again in the future. I cannot keep chasing mesh updates that require textures adjustments as I have been doing so far. It is also a bit frustrating to spend hours in doing something that is totally useless everytime the mesh gets changed . Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, I would just like to have a "stable platform" to work on and release a texture that can actually be used for 4.2 until SSU 5.0 will take over.
If you think 4.2 will undergo any future adjustments I will then stop working on the textures and wait.
Thanks

BTW I checked the SVN updates but I can't see the new mesh..

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You should have control of the texture and mesh you are using. You are part of the SSU team after all. The fine work you are doing, should be the focus of the mesh now. IMHO

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Please, I need to know if this is the final mesh you are releasing or if you may change it again in the future. I cannot keep chasing mesh updates that require textures adjustments as I have been doing so far. It is also a bit frustrating to spend hours in doing something that is totally useless everytime the mesh gets changed . Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, I would just like to have a "stable platform" to work on and release a texture that can actually be used for 4.2 until SSU 5.0 will take over.
If you think 4.2 will undergo any future adjustments I will then stop working on the textures and wait.
Thanks
This is the last until unless there's bug fixing required.

BTW I checked the SVN updates but I can't see the new mesh..
Did you switch from the SF SVN repo to the new one at OHM? The URL for the current one is svn://svn.orbithangar.com/shuttleultra/.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did you switch from the SF SVN repo to the new one at OHM? The URL for the current one is svn://svn.orbithangar.com/shuttleultra/.

How do I do that?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How do I do that?
Right-click on your SSU installation folder and go TortoiseSVN>Relocate and input the new URL in the field.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have updated them and forgot to back up the last mesh. Is there a way to retrieve it?..

Now I can only see Atlantis (despite the scenario has Columbia) and the textures are all over the place... That looks like a complete new thing which will require a massive intervention on the textures. Wouldn't it be better to keep the last mesh with maybe some minor tweaking. Most of it was ok and the hi res textures fitted quite well. Why this big change?

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have updated them and forgot to back up the last mesh. Is there a way to retrieve it?..

Now I can only see Atlantis (despite the scenario has Columbia) and the textures are all over the place... That looks like a complete new thing which will require a massive intervention on the textures. Wouldn't it be better to keep the last mesh with maybe some minor tweaking. Most of it was ok and the hi res textures fitted quite well. Why this big change?
Did you recompile the modules? The mesh group order changed as well as the texture list so some changes to the code was required.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did you recompile the modules? The mesh group order changed as well as the texture list so some changes to the code was required.

No I did not recompile. I tried to recover the last mesh by right clicking on the Orbiter.msh file but there is no revert function in the menu...