Project SSU HI RES Textures

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Now Side Hatch looks like this (contour is ok, window still displaced). also: is it my impression or the Hatch still looks a bit squished? ( I may try to edit the texture and fix this)

1235.jpg

but the duplicate of the FRCS module sealing appears again (that is on both port and starboard side)

Nose 2805.jpg

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Now Side Hatch looks like this (contour is ok, window still displaced). also: is it my impression or the Hatch still looks a bit squished? ( I may try to edit the texture and fix this)

View attachment 15627

but the duplicate of the FRCS module sealing appears again (that is on both port and starboard side)

View attachment 15628
Weird. This is what I have, I'm using your Shuttle Fleet textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk5iz83ypeviu7l/SSU_Orbiter_texture.jpg?dl=0

It's the best I can do, given that I don't have your new textures.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wolf ?
Can you show a shot of your textures ?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Wolf ?
Can you show a shot of your textures ?

Discovery_9thmod.jpg

I have restored and edited some areas to match with the latest mesh.
Overall now I thinks they are acceptable

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
View attachment 15629

I have restored and edited some areas to match with the latest mesh.
Overall now I thinks they are acceptable
Looks nice. Could you please tone down the redness a bit? It's a bit excessive as the orbiters aren't really red. For some reason, they only appear that way to photos taken by ISS Expedition crew members. I guess it's either because they use the wrong camera settings or there's some weird orbital light phenomena at work. I think the first possibility is the more likely one.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Looks nice. Could you please tone down the redness a bit? It's a bit excessive as the orbiters aren't really red. For some reason, they only appear that way to photos taken by ISS Expedition crew members. I guess it's either because they use the wrong camera settings or there's some weird orbital light phenomena at work. I think the first possibility is the more likely one.

Discovery_9thmod_color_correct.jpg

Better now? Too much?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So the first 3 HI RES textures (late Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavour) are pretty much ready for release. They are still subject to some tweaking but I don't have enough time for that now (maybe I'll release an updated version in the future).

I have a question: my knowledge on how to handle normal maps is zero. I am currently using the Photoshop NM plugin (as I did with the Shuttle Fleet textures).
Can anyone provide me with a quick "tutorial" on what would be the ideal/best normal map settings to use for my textures?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with a quick "tutorial" on what would be the ideal/best normal map settings to use for my textures?
AFAIK, there's none. You just use the settings that is the most suited for texture you're working on at the moment. At least that is how I made the normal maps that SSU is using at the moment.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I tried it and love the UI, but the new version the mesh plugin does not work in.
Works fine here. Did you place the msh_import.p/msh_export.p files in the Plugins folder?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I am not happy with hue/color of the Orbiters. Reducing the red component triggered some issues between the belly and the fuselage. There is also still a mismatching between the body/wing and the OMS pods blankets and tiles.
I am working on that.
A Rev.1 will be released and hopefully fix the issue.
In the meantime I am happy to get any other feedback or suggestion (to be added in the next revision).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am not happy with hue/color of the Orbiters. Reducing the red component triggered some issues between the belly and the fuselage. There is also still a mismatching between the body/wing and the OMS pods blankets and tiles.
I am working on that.
A Rev.1 will be released and hopefully fix the issue.
In the meantime I am happy to get any other feedback or suggestion (to be added in the next revision).
In that case, could I make some observations? Here's what I have seen so far:

• The Window 7 DANGER triangle is a bit too close to the window so it needs to move further outboard.
  • The OMS Pod AFRSI blankets are a bit too rough. It should be identical to the AFRSI blankets used on the fuselage
  • Atlantis is lacking the red-brownish areas around the NASA meatball and the flag and "Atlantis" name on the wings. Also the names on the wing looks a bit compressed in height.
  • The tiles on the underbody looks a bit big. Here's a document that should prove useful in determining the correct size: https://www.dropbox.com/s/21ku5ih1wffwyfu/Orbiter_bottom_schematic.pdf?dl=0
  • Also, the color is very green when it should be an even white.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In that case, could I make some observations? Here's what I have seen so far:

• The Window 7 DANGER triangle is a bit too close to the window so it needs to move further outboard.
  • The OMS Pod AFRSI blankets are a bit too rough. It should be identical to the AFRSI blankets used on the fuselage
  • Atlantis is lacking the red-brownish areas around the NASA meatball and the flag and "Atlantis" name on the wings. Also the names on the wing looks a bit compressed in height.
  • The tiles on the underbody looks a bit big. Here's a document that should prove useful in determining the correct size: https://www.dropbox.com/s/21ku5ih1wffwyfu/Orbiter_bottom_schematic.pdf?dl=0
  • Also, the color is very green when it should be an even white.

Rev.1 just released on OH.

About your points above:

1 - Danger label repositioned (it was probably 3 cm too close to the window :lol:)
2 - OMS pods AFRSI are now less rough and less scorched. Color is now matching with the fuselage AFRSI
3 - Wing names have now been resized. The red-brownish areas around the labels are actually there (except for Discovery which had a "cleaner" wing surface compared to the other orbiters and my texture reflect this) unless you are referring to something else..The areas are not identical to the real ones but still IMHO they' re fine
4 - It looks to me the tiles in my textures are actually a bit tiny compared to the real ones: Look at the pics below where the ET umbelical doors show
tiles_real.jpg
Tiles copia.jpg
5 - Fixed: the orbiter color is even white now

Hope you are happy with this release

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
3 - Wing names have now been resized. The red-brownish areas around the labels are actually there (except for Discovery which had a "cleaner" wing surface compared to the other orbiters and my texture reflect this) unless you are referring to something else..The areas are not identical to the real ones but still IMHO they' re fine
I talking about this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2un72abe1841g7/06pd2058.jpg?dl=0

Right now those areas are almost invisible compared to the background. In the actual photo (from STS-115) they stand out very well.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So I had a look at the Rev 1 textures and they're still very green. This is reduced but enhanced version of the Atlantis texture, showing that green is the very dominant color. If everything was even, then color would be white like on the various emblems (flags and NASA meatballs): https://www.dropbox.com/s/wco5eegggbp6f9w/Texture_still_green.jpg?dl=0

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
First visual test with the new textures

Night and daytime launch

0821.jpg

0804.jpg