Project SSU HI RES Textures

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort Dave but there is now a problem in the nose area just beside the flight deck windows (both left and right):the outer area partially overlaps the inner one and as the result a section of the nose area (where the black "tears" are located) disappears.

Here is the .psd file. I highlighted one tile towards the edge (in RED) that in the sim view is shifted inside (in GREEN). The black tears were deleted only to take this screenshot and better locate the tile highlighted (of course they were there when the DDS file was genrated).
View attachment 15607

Here what happens in the sim looking at the same tile. The left tear fully disapppears (the right one only partially since the pics show Discovery)
View attachment 15608

Also the old Side hatch issue is now back
View attachment 15609
Issues have been fixed but as SF.net is down again, I can't check in the updated mesh.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is the server still down? I tried to check if you updated the mesh on SVN but the message says it s unable to connect due to server down..

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is the server still down? I tried to check if you updated the mesh on SVN but the message says it s unable to connect due to server down..
Yes, it is still down. This is the latest update:

[ame="https://twitter.com/sfnet_ops/status/969377360129773568"]SourceForge SF.net Operations on Twitter: "We now have a much better idea as to what is causing the recent performance issues. We're now executing a plan to get SourceForge back to full capacity. We may be some hours off yet, but our team is working around the clock until stability is restored. Thank you for your patience"[/ame]

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
One question: following the last SVN update I now have a warning symbol on the meshes/SSU/orbiter.mesh and Texture/SSU/Discovery_9thmod.DDS folders and files.

SSU WARN_01.jpg

SSU WARN_02.jpg

Before the update I had copied and pasted an old orbiter.mesh file in the related folder to check some details of my textures. During the recompile I got a conflict warning from VS about these files.

Could this cause some problems with future updates and how can I fix that?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
One question: following the last SVN update I now have a warning symbol on the meshes/SSU/orbiter.mesh and Texture/SSU/Discovery_9thmod.DDS folders and files.

View attachment 15610

View attachment 15611

Before the update I had copied and pasted an old orbiter.mesh file in the related folder to check some details of my textures. During the recompile I got a conflict warning from VS about these files.

Could this cause some problems with future updates and how can I fix that?
That symbol indicates some kind of conflict exists. Just right-click on them select Resolve from the TortoiseSVN menu: https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/nightly/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-conflicts.html

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That symbol indicates some kind of conflict exists. Just right-click on them select Resolve from the TortoiseSVN menu: https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/nightly/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-conflicts.html

Done. Thanks.
Waiting for your mesh fix as soon as the server will be working again

PS I know it's a million dollar question: when do you guys think version 5.0 will be realeased? Ok I know it's going to be on a Tuesday :lol:, I don't need the exact day but if you could forecast a time frame like "within 2 months" or "in 1 year from now" I would really appreciate. I am asking simply cause I was thinking about repainting Columbia, Challenger and the previous versions of the other OV's. Since texture job is very time consuming that will depend on how long roughly 4.2 will be kept alive.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Done. Thanks.
Waiting for your mesh fix as soon as the server will be working again

PS I know it's a million dollar question: when do you guys think version 5.0 will be realeased? Ok I know it's going to be on a Tuesday :lol:, I don't need the exact day but if you could forecast a time frame like "within 2 months" or "in 1 year from now" I would really appreciate. I am asking simply cause I was thinking about repainting Columbia, Challenger and the previous versions of the other OV's. Since texture job is very time consuming that will depend on how long roughly 4.2 will be kept alive.

I'd like it to be this year, but there are still several things that MUST be done for SSU to work well in Orbiter 2016.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd like it to be this year, but there are still several things that MUST be done for SSU to work well in Orbiter 2016.
I have done several complete missions and the main stopping block is the lack of altimeters/radar altimeters to deal with the terrain. Currently landing at EDW is a bit complicated as our instrumentation assumes a perfectly flat Earth (IE 2010 and earlier). But in 2016 EDW is located some 2200 ft higher, throwing our instrumentation off.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have done several complete missions and the main stopping block is the lack of altimeters/radar altimeters to deal with the terrain. Currently landing at EDW is a bit complicated as our instrumentation assumes a perfectly flat Earth (IE 2010 and earlier). But in 2016 EDW is located some 2200 ft higher, throwing our instrumentation off.

I'm working on the terrain, and for the instrumentation I'll just have to "hack" something into the existing DPS, as Urwumpe said there'll be no developments in that area this year ... but we are going off topic for this thread.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Why would Version 5 affect Wolf's textures ?

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Why would Version 5 affect Wolf's textures ?

AFAIK the nose section has been reshaped and the 4.2 textures won’t fit in 5.0
The elevons are also different though DaveS just changed the 4.2 mesh in that area to match with 5.0. Tere is some difference in the OMS pods I think.
Maybe there s more stuff which I m not aware of.
For sure the 4.2 textures do not work with 5.0

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The main reason why the 4.2 textures won't fit the currently in work new orbiter mesh is primarily due that the new mesh has a new texture mapping as a result of the underbody texture being moved to its own texture file. This freed up some space for a better map layout. The OMS pods retain their 4.2 mapping as does ARCS "stingers" as does the main fuselage.

Here's the current in work map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5izkkwcu0m8wse2/Orbiter_texture.jpg?dl=0

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

SF.net is back online and the fixed mesh has been checked in.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The main reason why the 4.2 textures won't fit the currently in work new orbiter mesh is primarily due that the new mesh has a new texture mapping as a result of the underbody texture being moved to its own texture file. This freed up some space for a better map layout. The OMS pods retain their 4.2 mapping as does ARCS "stingers" as does the main fuselage.

Here's the current in work map: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5izkkwcu0m8wse2/Orbiter_texture.jpg?dl=0

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

SF.net is back online and the fixed mesh has been checked in.

We are almost there.

Left side still have issues

Side hatch
Side Hatch.jpg

Tiles converging (note the Red and grey seals brake up) and overlapping towards the roof area
Left closeup.jpg

the White blankets above the FRCS are deformed (but IMHO thsat's not a big issue)
Left FRCS module.jpg

Top view showing the rigth side is much better
F_Deck Roof.jpg

Closeup of the FRCS module on right side. No issues :thumbup:
Right closeup.jpg

Another closeup - right side
1194.jpg

If you could fix the left side then we should be alright

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Meanwhile I have started working on Columbia (early version)
I have two options to render the white tiles, first one by drawing them and second by using real picture of new tiles (serial numbers appear as per new orbiter delivery)

Here are some shots of the first option (note they are plain and no scorching or editing done yet)

Draw_01.jpg

Draw_02.jpg

and the second one (same as above, plain brand new tiles with no wear and scorching effects done)

Photo_01.jpg

Photo_02.jpg

Phot_03.jpg

Question for the team: which one would you prefer?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
We are almost there.

Left side still have issues

Side hatch
View attachment 15615

Tiles converging (note the Red and grey seals brake up) and overlapping towards the roof area
View attachment 15616

the White blankets above the FRCS are deformed (but IMHO thsat's not a big issue)
View attachment 15620

Top view showing the rigth side is much better
View attachment 15617

Closeup of the FRCS module on right side. No issues :thumbup:
View attachment 15618

Another closeup - right side
View attachment 15619

If you could fix the left side then we should be alright
Fixed version checked in, please perform an SVN Update to obtain it.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Meanwhile I have started working on Columbia (early version)
I have two options to render the white tiles, first one by drawing them and second by using real picture of new tiles (serial numbers appear as per new orbiter delivery)

Here are some shots of the first option (note they are plain and no scorching or editing done yet)

View attachment 15621

View attachment 15622

and the second one (same as above, plain brand new tiles with no wear and scorching effects done)

View attachment 15623

View attachment 15624

View attachment 15625

Question for the team: which one would you prefer?
I wholeheartedly prefer the second version. Looks much better.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I did a quick check and everything seems to be fixed :thumbup:

There is still a small issue with the damn Side Hatch
1205.jpg

but IMHO it is acceptable (unless you think you can fix it without compromising the area around)

Now I ll go back working on the textures and erase the latest changes so we have again a good matching

Thanks for your help, nice job!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I did a quick check and everything seems to be fixed :thumbup:

There is still a small issue with the damn Side Hatch
View attachment 15626

but IMHO it is acceptable (unless you think you can fix it without compromising the area around)

Now I ll go back working on the textures and erase the latest changes so we have again a good matching

Thanks for your help, nice job!
Fixed and checked in.