SSU Development Thread (3.0 to 4.0)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I know that problem... somewhere I have a paper on the Shuttle Ku band radar PRF and its effect on the doppler-velocity/range-problem.
Actually the range rate seems to be stable just with 2 values. The problem is the EL and AZ angle rates in milli-radians, which brings up the "noise".

I'm now making a 2º checkout (hope it works) to use with Orbiter 2016. This way I can work on both sides of the fence.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
GLS, could you create a scenario that shows off the new Ku band RR?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
GLS, could you create a scenario that shows off the new Ku band RR?

I tested using the STS-126 ISS docking, in which I backed off 2Km or so and "parked" there. I'm sure the relative positions are not a realistic situation, but it works for testing. I can commit it if you want... and after the new checkout is finished.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I tested using the STS-126 ISS docking, in which I backed off 2Km or so and "parked" there. I'm sure the relative positions are not a realistic situation, but it works for testing. I can commit it if you want... and after the new checkout is finished.
That's something I have never quite understood, how to proceed to the 600 ft point on the ISS RBAR starting with that scenario. Anyone more familiar with the RNDZ ops care to post a more comprehensive description of what step or page of the RNDZ FDF it starts on?

Edit:
Mistake on my part. I thought that the ISS docking scenario you were talking about was the Rendezvous test scenario in the Testing scenarios folder. The question is still valid though.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
That's something I have never quite understood, how to proceed to the 600 ft point on the ISS RBAR starting with that scenario. Anyone more familiar with the RNDZ ops care to post a more comprehensive description of what step or page of the RNDZ FDF it starts on?

Edit:
Mistake on my part. I thought that the ISS docking scenario you were talking about was the Rendezvous test scenario in the Testing scenarios folder. The question is still valid though.

Radar test scenario added. If the scan is started with the OV in the initial orientation the scan spiral ends right away as a target (ISS) is in sight of the antenna, so a pitch and/or roll change before starting the search will show more of the spiral.
About the rendezvous ops, I don't know how SSU stands and I don't know much of the real thing. Now with the radar, I'm sure it would be more realistic from 150Kft (or so) down to whatever distance it is stopped. Currently due to my lack of knowledge of the algorithms/displays/etc used and the incomplete DPS, the radar just outputs to panel A2.

---------- Post added 05-09-16 at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-08-16 at 11:49 PM ----------

Finished setting up the second SSU folder and "installing" Orbiter 2016.
My first impression is that SSU seems to run better (more fluid) in MOGE 2016 than MOGE 2010. I started with the upper stages (as they are relatively simple) and both seem to work fine.
Moved to the OV in orbit and the vc works fine except for panel F4 that doesn't seem to be detected. The ASE/CISS both seem to work fine. The new radar seems to work as it tracked the IUS for a while. Didn't test RMS, docking or OMS burns yet. Some work in the CRTMFD/MDU is needed to take advantage of the new MFD limit (this if we are going to stick with the MFDs). There was a problem with time acceleration, where after a period at 1000x and returning to 1x, the vehicle just starts accelerating out of LEO and eventually CTD.... don't know if it's SSU's fault. Also noticed from orbit that VAFB was showing the surface tiles but KSC was white. Particle streams will need to be decreased, as they show up much larger than in the 2010 version.
Then I tried the EDW landing scenario and my early optimism went down the drain. The HUD needs to be re-done as the scale is different. Then I realized that the runway was not where it should (or not where the GPCs were telling me). This includes the vertical position as well. :p After touchdown, the OV joined a circus and started doing summersaults and CTD, obviously the result of not having the new touchdown point system. After that I'm somewhat afraid to try the launch scenarios. :lol:

So, IMO it's going to be very very very hard to get a "large-scale" addon (several vessels, surface bases, scenarios, etc) like SSU working on 2010 and 2016. The surface bases probably all need to be changed to accommodate the new stuff, and then the landing site table has to be corrected and changed to add runway altitude. And the scenarios "inside the atmosphere" have to re-done. I'm not fully up-to-date on the new terrain system, but the surface tiles are probably not needed anymore.
So to conclude, IMO to get SSU to run on 2010 and 2016 we need to keep 2 lines of development. The changes needed are just too fundamental to do it all together. So, as we can barely keep one line of development going, the question for me now is: do we take the current state and release a SSU 3.1 for Orbiter 2010 and forget about it, or do we skip the release part and move on to 2016 right away?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do we take the current state and release a SSU 3.1 for Orbiter 2010 and forget about it, or do we skip the release part and move on to 2016 right away?

Better idea: On release of Orbiter, which will come suddenly, we will release a "SSU 3.1+2010p2" version as final Orbiter 2010 release, including a two week stabilization period. We have the time, we don't need to be ready for 2016 instantly. (See semver.org about the meaning of the + sign)

No problem already starting a SSU 3.1 branch already for a first Orbiter 2016 version that is available shortly after Orbiter 2016 release, which has only the features of 3.1 and bugfixes for 2016.

We keep SSU 3.1+2010p2 available for download until the following Orbiter release, but we cease mainline development for Orbiter 2010 versions. Who wants to do it, should be free to fork.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
If we are going to release another version for 2010, I'd still prefer to do it ASAP and then move everybody to 2016 as it's going to take time (probably more than the 2 months you talked about) to get to a 2016-ready version. By getting the whole team working on the 2016 version ASAP, more testing can be done, as opposed to having "non-mainstream" work in a branch up until 2 weeks after the 2016 release.

A 2016 branch was already created by SiameseCat, and updated yesterday to the latest trunk by me. No work has been done there yet. I already have a first change standing by which is updating the Earth.cfg file.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If we are going to release another version for 2010, I'd still prefer to do it ASAP and then move everybody to 2016 as it's going to take time (probably more than the 2 months you talked about) to get to a 2016-ready version. By getting the whole team working on the 2016 version ASAP, more testing can be done, as opposed to having "non-mainstream" work in a branch up until 2 weeks after the 2016 release.

A 2016 branch was already created by SiameseCat, and updated yesterday to the latest trunk by me. No work has been done there yet. I already have a first change standing by which is updating the Earth.cfg file.

Well, I would leave the 2010P2 behind with as many features as possible for reducing the pain for those who will not move to 2016 because of "reasons". Thus the wish for a later transition. But that is just my opinion. 2010P2 is known and works fine, orbiter 2016 will be a new adventure despite the rather mature state after the public beta phase.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well, I would leave the 2010P2 behind with as many features as possible for reducing the pain for those who will not move to 2016 because of "reasons". Thus the wish for a later transition. But that is just my opinion. 2010P2 is known and works fine, orbiter 2016 will be a new adventure despite the rather mature state after the public beta phase.

I see your point for delaying the last 2010 release, and I agree with it but, what (major) features are we going to implement in the next few weeks/months that warrant a delay? New DPS? New VC? Mission editor/workbench/whatever name it has? EPS? Real RCS? I could be wrong, but those seem to be +/- far away.
I say we give it 1 or 2 more weeks to finish the loose ends and release 3.1 on the 17th or 24th (Tuesdays :p). We would be sending off the 2010 version with fixes for the 3.0 version and the upper stages, which I'd say is a pretty good release overall.

BTW: is there a 2010P2? I only have 2010P1...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I see your point for delaying the last 2010 release, and I agree with it but, what (major) features are we going to implement in the next few weeks/months that warrant a delay? New DPS? New VC? Mission editor/workbench/whatever name it has? EPS? Real RCS? I could be wrong, but those seem to be +/- far away.
I say we give it 1 or 2 more weeks to finish the loose ends and release 3.1 on the 17th or 24th (Tuesdays :p). We would be sending off the 2010 version with fixes for the 3.0 version and the upper stages, which I'd say is a pretty good release overall.

BTW: is there a 2010P2? I only have 2010P1...

P1 or P2 ... who cares. :rofl:

Just saying: We don't know when Orbiter 2016 will be released and what will be done by then.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
P1 or P2 ... who cares. :rofl:

Just saying: We don't know when Orbiter 2016 will be released and what will be done by then.

Yes we don't know when it will be released, but I'd say :crystalball2::crystalball: sometime in the summer. Even if by the time we get SSU totally updated the new version still hasn't been released (doubtful), we can always continue development. My "motivation" here is to get a SSU version out as soon as possible after the 2016 release, if possible on the same Tuesday. Market share baby, market share. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes we don't know when it will be released, but I'd say :crystalball2::crystalball: sometime in the summer. Even if by the time we get SSU totally updated the new version still hasn't been released (doubtful), we can always continue development. My "motivation" here is to get a SSU version out as soon as possible after the 2016 release, if possible on the same Tuesday. Market share baby, market share. :lol:

Market share... how cares. I see us like a supercar manufacturer. Who cares that we only have 50 customers, if our 50 customers are the best customers of the world? :lol:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Market share... how cares. I see us like a supercar manufacturer. Who cares that we only have 50 customers, if our 50 customers are the best customers of the world? :lol:

Then those 50 customers will have to pay more because I want a jacuzzi :rofl:

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Question to the graphics department. Yesterday when setting up the Orbiter 2016 folder I noticed we have a Orbiter_blank.dds texture. I just checked it (thinking it was part of the old textures in which the OV name was written) and found out that it's still used in the Orbiter.msh file, which is then overwritten at runtime with the "personalized" OV texture. Further checking shows that actually it is equal (visually) to the Atlantis_5thmod.dds texture. So the question is: why don't we save 2MB to the users (and us) and dump the Orbiter_blank.dds file and edit texture entry in Orbiter.msh to use the Atlantis texture? Yes, 2MB is not a lot but it's redundant anyway.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Then those 50 customers will have to pay more because I want a jacuzzi :rofl:

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Question to the graphics department. Yesterday when setting up the Orbiter 2016 folder I noticed we have a Orbiter_blank.dds texture. I just checked it (thinking it was part of the old textures in which the OV name was written) and found out that it's still used in the Orbiter.msh file, which is then overwritten at runtime with the "personalized" OV texture. Further checking shows that actually it is equal (visually) to the Atlantis_5thmod.dds texture. So the question is: why don't we save 2MB to the users (and us) and dump the Orbiter_blank.dds file and edit texture entry in Orbiter.msh to use the Atlantis texture? Yes, 2MB is not a lot but it's redundant anyway.
I agree, if it is not used, then it should be removed.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I agree, if it is not used, then it should be removed.

Done and ready for commit! But before that I'm thinking about adding default texture path based on the OV name to the mission file class. This way we could have "Orbiter=Discovery" in the mission file and if no "OrbiterTexture" was specified it would default to the latest (or other) Discovery texture, instead of the default Atlantis. Good idea?

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

I hope the default texture idea is to everyone's liking because I just committed the changes.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
One small question: Do we still have a "blank" texture template and maybe a small manual about the texture mapping for allowing custom paint jobs?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
One small question: Do we still have a "blank" texture template and maybe a small manual about the texture mapping for allowing custom paint jobs?
Yes, in the Sources subfolder of the SSU SDK folder. It has the source psd file which is used to create the orbiter texture.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

There's a massive source file with the basic OV texture... at least I think so because I never opened it.
The manual explains the mission file entry that controls which texture to use. The dots aren't fully connected, but I think people could figure it out in no time.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There's a massive source file with the basic OV texture... at least I think so because I never opened it.
The manual explains the mission file entry that controls which texture to use. The dots aren't fully connected, but I think people could figure it out in no time.

That is OK for the start. I just want to make sure that somebody who can do good paint jobs will not be stopped from doing so by our lack of documentation.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I've been setting up the new touchdown points for the OV-alone configuration, which seem about right as the post-landing photo ilustrates.
The photo was taken after a landing at the Edwards rollercoaster... eerm, runway. :rofl: That runway is just WAY too bumpy and needs to be flattened.
Anyway, there seems to be an issue with the drag chute jettison that I'm working on now, and all the touchdown point coeficients need still some work.

Attachments

• oops.PNG
    oops.PNG
    186.6 KB · Views: 243