Updates SpaceX Falcon 9 F5 CRS SpX-2 through CRS SpX-12 Updates

MattBaker

Reaction score
Yeah because some anonymous nobody telling stories of "his friend" is in any way important or relevant, sure...

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This was posted in a reply to a top-level post (with 1340 upvotes) which reads If Kerbal Space Program has taught me anything, it's that you can't make a space program without exploding a few rockets.

The way I look at it is that our colleague HarvesteR has (1) succesfully educated the younger demographics that going into space is hard and things tend to explode and (2) probably also created the next generation of rocket engineers.

Such reception is definitely more heartening than the usual gripes about the waste of taxpayer's money you get from older folks.

D68xqNS.png

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe its a good moment to not lose your humor.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I didn't quite understand if he meant they had two before today (which they did) or two after this.

They have two docking ports that are supposed to be set up for commercial crew with the IDA and had two IDAs for that, IDA-1 is now bust, is there a spare IDA-3 or not? Didn't seem clear to me.

They had two before the explosion but having two was a luxury not a nessecity. Now they have one which is ok but they won't be able to have two crewed vessels docked simultaneously.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They had two before the explosion but having two was a luxury not a nessecity. Now they have one which is ok but they won't be able to have two crewed vessels docked simultaneously.

Its usual to have two articles, not a luxury. One is a test article, the other the actual flight article. The test article is usually an early version, and the flight version heavily modified because of the test phase results. If you also modify the test article to become a second flight article, it is called flight-test article.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Well I was not expecting this.

But have to hand it to SpaceX- at least the fiery end never once pointed toward space.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hell from what I'm hearing they didn't even send the destruct command. They were going to try to fly that sucker to space leaking LOX.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Actually I wonder if they weren't still going to try to land the first stage after all!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hell from what I'm hearing they didn't even send the destruct command. They were going to try to fly that sucker to space leaking LOX.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Actually I wonder if they weren't still going to try to land the first stage after all!
Painfully wrong on all accounts. The reason for no manually activated FTS was that by the time that anyone realized that something was seriously wrong the vehicle was already in bits. No one is watching the TV, it's all eyes on the telemetry. They have the chance to review the footage later.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think your sarcasm detector needs a little tune up ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Can't confirm this. The command was triggered late, but there was a controlled FTS.

If the rocket would be destroyed by aerodynamic forces and debris impacts alone, the destruction would have resulted in more debris before the final sequence - think of Columbia there.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Or perhaps it is I that needs a better sarcasm dispenser. :hmm:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Can't confirm this. The command was triggered late, but there was a controlled FTS.

If the rocket would be destroyed by aerodynamic forces and debris impacts alone, the destruction would have resulted in more debris before the final sequence - think of Columbia there.

Agreed. It shows the hallmarks of a deliberate destruction: all the visible pieces were small, and once they hit the FTS, it just... dissolved.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Man-rating is not for tomorrow... :hmm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Man-rating is not for tomorrow... :hmm:

Man-rating is easy. Just triple the ticket prices and call it "Extreme Space Boarding".

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Or perhaps it is I that needs a better sarcasm dispenser. :hmm:

You know Poe's law?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It seems like everytime they wanna land, something happens. <:T

Maybe they should get mental assistance by Russian Mars probe program managers. :cheers:

MattBaker

Reaction score
To be fair Dragon seems to have come out of this accident relatively intact (in the few frames where you can see it it at least seems to be in one peace) and that's without rocket thrusters moving it away from the explosion. At least in this accident I see no reason to assume a crew would have gotten into trouble there.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
To be fair Dragon seems to have come out of this accident relatively intact (in the few frames where you can see it it at least seems to be in one peace) and that's without rocket thrusters moving it away from the explosion. At least in this accident I see no reason to assume a crew would have gotten into trouble there.

"Oh we can guarantee that the spacecraft will be safe anyway, so don't worry about rocket reliablity".

I don't take it. :nono:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Since it was not recovered intact, its hard to tell. At least it was intact this time.

dman

Reaction score
The betting window is open !!

Step up gentlemen and place your bets......

1) Falcon9R misses barge

2) Falcon9R crashes into barge

3) Falcon9R sinks the barge

4) Falcon9R sucessful landing

Maybe next time will ad another category

5) Falcon9R blows up..........