Problem Starship Payload Orientation

Pioneer

Reaction score
I'm having a problem attaching the TransHab module to to starship. I use the included spacecraft manager, which includes the option to attach and detach payloads along with setting the launch autopilot, etc. However, the module sticks out of the side of the spacecraft, and changing the rotational elements of the module does nothing to help:

Code:
hab1:Transhab
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS 36.5694389 1.1090776
  HEADING 66.59
  ALT 637101.033
  AROT 90.000 -90.000 90.000
  ATTACHED 0:0,Starship
  AFCMODE 7
  NAVFREQ 0 0 0 0
  XPDR 0
  ANIM_0 2 1.0000
END

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
AFAIK, if a vessel is attached to another (as a child), the scenario parameters AROT, POS, etc don't do anything and that info is calculated from the attachment to the parent vessel. To change the position and/or orientation of the payload, you need to change the attachment parameters of the vessel in the cfg file or code.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
The position and orientation of the attached child vessel is a combination of both the parent vessel and child vessel attachment points.

If you want to add an better attachement point to a vessel, you can just add its coordinates and orientation to the vessels cfg-file.
Code:
; === Attachment specs ===
BEGIN_ATTACHMENT
P 0 0 -1.22  0 0 -1  0 1 0  FH
END_ATTACHMENT

where <Attach-spec i>:
<type> <xi> <yi> <zi> <dxi> <dyi> <dzi> <rxi> <ryi> <rzi> <id>
<type> is a single character: ‘P’ – “attach to a parent”, or ‘C’ – “attach to a child”.
The next 9 entries define the attachment position and direction in the same way
as docking ports.
<id> is a string of up to 8 characters used for defining compatibility between
attachment points.

In the scenario file then you have to tell Orbiter, which attachment points to use, e.g.
ATTACHED 1:0,FalconHeavy