Project Space Shuttle Vessel

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Almost a month with the OMS pods, but I'm confident this last major task will get completed in the near future!
The remaining work can be split into 2 parts: the blankets that cover the majority of the pod surface, and the tiles at the front.
moreafrsiinomspods.PNG
Currently the first iteration of the blankets is almost complete. I still need to go back and rework the vast majority of them as the curved shape of the OMS pod means it will also be curved in the texture, and in this case almost never constant curvature, so it will require some iterations to get it "acceptable". For the forward tiles, I'll have to draw the seams between the tiles, which will also be curved, so more headaches.

I'll probably change gears and work the C&W system a bit over the weekend, just so I do something else besides textures everyday of the week.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Update time!
Still not finished with the OMS pods 🤦‍♂️, but it's almost done: the AFRSI part and everything else in the aft part is finally done, so only the LRSI and HRSI tiles at the front remain, which hopefully should take about 1 week. After that, there are a few details I'd like to work (not mandatory), final touches in the manual, final updates in the scenarios, final tests... and that should do it. Somewhere in this final part I have to move the project to github.
byebyeAFRSI.PNG

Like I mentioned in the previous post, I took a weekend (and a couple more days) to work in the Caution & Warning system, and what a pleasure it was to work with code again... even though I had to do some graphics work. I managed to get pretty much all of the Hardware C&W done (it now needs sensor signals), and a good chunk of the Backup C&W, which still requires some "duct-tape" to work with the current GPC/IDP interface. Anyway, it is very nice to be assaulted by the sounds and lights of the Master Alarm when I shutdown an APU or SSME. Not sure if this is compatible with a 1.x minor version or if it is a big-enough change that it has to wait for the 2.0 release... no rush.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well, looks like I failed yet another prediction when I estimated 1 week to finish the OMS pods.... it's done! :hailprobe:

23icsb8.jpg

almostthere.jpg

The tile edges ended up looking a bit pixelated, but it's the available resolution... and they should all be there. :cautious: I could/should add some detail in the tiles, but I'm so sick of this it will just have to wait until I have patience, sometime in the future.

So, that's the big item finally out of the way, only small ones (mostly listed in the previous post) remain between now and the release. One particular item that is growing every time I look into, is the license: I'm required to identify EVERY change to the original code, according to SSU's GPLv2 license, which I'm keeping btw.
Should be a busy few days.... hopefully not longer than that.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Your prediction that your HLV will be the first to fly this summer looks like it'll be true!

Reactions: GLS

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking good. Is the code similar to SSU but with new meshes? Will it have EVA capabilities?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Looking good.
Thanks!

Is the code similar to SSU but with new meshes?
Hmm, I'd say the changes from SSU are maybe 75% meshes/textures, 25% code/logic. The general architecture remains the same as in SSU, but lots of things changed place and/or name in an effort of organize things better, and I created a new mission file format and payload system, plus there are lots of small bug fixes and small improvements.

Will it have EVA capabilities?
Still not there... :(

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It looks like we have a pretty good contender for a UMMU replacement in the works. Maybe that could work for evas with a bit more dev work.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It looks like we have a pretty good contender for a UMMU replacement in the works. Maybe that could work for evas with a bit more dev work.
Well see... right now I have 700+ code files in 1700+ revisions to go thru and identify changes... :cautious:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Git or SVN?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Git or SVN?
SVN... "self-contained" in my pc. I will upload to github in the coming days, but first I have to comply with SSU's GPL license that requires me to list everything I changed, and also add an entry in each changed code file.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Release Tuesday is here!!!!! :hailprobe:
Space Shuttle Vessel 1.0 is finally out! https://github.com/GLS-SSV/SSV

Please, please, take a look at the manual before posting questions, as the info you seek might already be there. I think there is good help in there for the common user, as well as the developer who wants to put their payloads in SSV.

Thanks for all the support during these 2 years and 5 months of work, and as I did not make it all from scratch, thanks to all that worked on the foundations of Space Shuttle Vessel. :hailprobe:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hi, I'm trying to install SSV but I can't find Modules folder. Do I need to compile dll files?
If you use the sources, then yes you will need to compile. But if you go to Releases (on the right side of the page) you will have will find the zip package with all the required files, and you won't need the sources.
1660654691803.png

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Whoohoo, I can say I'm a happy man! Great work GLS, time to go to orbit (again hahaha)

What can we expect for the future of SSV ? I'd love to see more OPS/SPEC/SM/PL pages, as well as some failures simulated.
I'll give it a deeper test later when I'm free, but whoohoo long live the Space Shuttle my guys !

Thanks again GLS for reviving the Space Shuttle !

(I just saw the SSV Mission Editor, wwwho damn, I think I'll love it ! Until now I was creating my own custom mission by trial and errors until I got what I wanted haha !)
1660663685600.png
1660663729356.png1660663793652.png
1660663813470.png

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
What can we expect for the future of SSV ? I'd love to see more OPS/SPEC/SM/PL pages, as well as some failures simulated.
In the next few days I'll be uploading the branches with some new things: CCTV (D3D9 only), C&W, a somewhat hacked SM2, OMS/RCS, and others. There are other things within reach now, such as 2 RMSs. Another RMS improvement is moving the brains of it into the GPC, and thus opening the door for auto-sequences... still not sure how one would make them. Of these, the OMS/RCS is probably the biggest one, but after that there is the granddaddy of them all: ascent and aborts.
As for failures, I've thought a bit about it as the C&W is now making noises, but it needs a lot of thinking as IMO the failure logic should not interfere with the "regular logic". For now there is always killing and APU or SSME the old-fashion way. :ROFLMAO:

(I just saw the SSV Mission Editor, wwwho damn, I think I'll love it ! Until now I was creating my own custom mission by trial and errors until I got what I wanted haha !)
Yeah, that is a fine tool, but the vehicle configuration still needs work. A big issue is the orbital elements for an orbiting vessel listed in the mission not being updated to take into account the scenario start time.

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
In the next few days I'll be uploading the branches with some new things: CCTV (D3D9 only), C&W, a somewhat hacked SM2, OMS/RCS, and others. There are other things within reach now, such as 2 RMSs. Another RMS improvement is moving the brains of it into the GPC, and thus opening the door for auto-sequences... still not sure how one would make them. Of these, the OMS/RCS is probably the biggest one, but after that there is the granddaddy of them all: ascent and aborts.
As for failures, I've thought a bit about it as the C&W is now making noises, but it needs a lot of thinking as IMO the failure logic should not interfere with the "regular logic". For now there is always killing and APU or SSME the old-fashion way. :ROFLMAO:
Ohh nice, can't wait to see more then :)
And yes, automatic sequences for the RMS woulbe a huge plus (like with the SSRMS addon for the ISS ?). I often have a hard time putting the OBSS back into place because of the 3 points that need to be very precise to accept the attachment.

Yeah, that is a fine tool, but the vehicle configuration still needs work. A big issue is the orbital elements for an orbiting vessel listed in the mission not being updated to take into account the scenario start time.

I gave it a quick test for OMS burns after MECO, and woaw, I'm very impressed, I had 127x127nm exactly after the burn. Was it this precise when the Shuttle was in service ?

Attachments

• 1660670541980.png
    1660670541980.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 20

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I often have a hard time putting the OBSS back into place because of the 3 points that need to be very precise to accept the attachment.
That is something that would benefit from having the GPCs handling the RMS, as other coordinate systems for the EE could be set, besides the current EE and PLB systems, both centered at the EE. For the OBSS there was a coordinate system that, when the OBSS was in place on the pedestals, the position and angles were all 0, so that was much easier.