Project Space Shuttle Vessel

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Another month of work done! :hailprobe:

Finished the PLB texture work for this release and moved on to the final part: the outside textures! Started looking at how to map the outside within the current limitations and I quickly went into a "graphics depression"... which was cured with 2 weeks of coding new features for the future and fixing small stuff.
Back to the graphics, I had to +/- maintain the current external texture layout, as a proper layout would: a) require a 2-texture solution or drop MOGE support, which IMO is (still) not an option, and b) it would take too much time to do. I also have some ideas to facilitate vehicle configuration, which are currently in embryonic stage but they probably would require texture work plus, eventually D3D9 will replace MOGE, so I can live with a "less than perfect" texture situation until all those things line up sometime in the future.
So, I'm now working the textures and uv mapping, adding minimum fixes and trying to get as many vehicle-unique markings as possible. I've done a test mapping of the forward fuselage, and while it will not be easy, the results are acceptable and better than anticipated. The "real" mapping started in the vertical tails, which are now completed, and I've also done some easier parts.
mappedtailnor.PNG

I've cut some more vent/purge/dump holes in the fuselage which, in addition to them existing, should provide further help to line things up when putting the texture on.
In addition to mapping the forward fuselage, the other big items are the OMS pods and wing RCC panels.

As for a date for release, it would be nice for it to be the 2-year anniversary of SSV, but there's not way I'll finish the texture work before that, plus I still need to write in the manual how to use the new payload system. So the current (50/50 chance ?‍♂️) target date is 12 April.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Quick update!
Work continues in the OV textures, which now have the wing tops and RCC panels.
wingmapping.PNG
It's not perfect, but it doesn't look bad. Now working the wings for Columbia and Challenger, before adding the individual markings.

I'm also adding information to the manual on how to place things in the PLB.

On the code, there has been a major last-minute change: reworking the propellant resources and adding more "makeshift" thrusters to allow each RCS pod to have its own propellant. For now this allows a bit more realism, but the big driver is that this makes the propellant resources ready for the future. The new thrusters are transparent to the user (it's still pretty much the idealized setup) and already obsolete as I'm doing the RCS from scratch in a branch, which has all the thrusters and the capability to command each one individually.
Also, further GUI work was done in the Mission Editor, making it easier to add and edit payloads.

One big item that is now behind is the SSV logo, which I've now finished after several months of thinking. I'll reveal it when the release date arrives.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Finished texture work on the top of the wings, elevons and seal panels! Also worked mapping the body flap and aft end of the aft compartment, although those will probably need more work.
Now working the forward fuselage, sides and PLBDs, pretty much pixel by pixel most of the time, so I don't think I can have this thing ready in the next 30 days... well, the Space Shuttle wasn't a strange to delays, so why should this...?

moremapping.PNG

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
2 years of SSV!!! :hailprobe:

I didn't expect it would take this long to get to a release (currently at 1404 commits), but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Currently, I'm still working the forward fuselage, almost done with the LRSI version and hopefully the AFRSI version will be much faster. Not happy at all with the seams, but at the moment I can't unwrap this in any other way and I'm not willing to cut more seams. When MOGE gets retired I'll return to this texture hell with more time and patience and make it better.

Lifting the curtain a bit on the future, I have the big medium-term project of implementing an (advanced) OMS/RCS, and later after that there is the total rework of the launch part, which is going to be a world of pain, but should make the vehicle launch pretty much as the real one.

In the short-term, I have the ball rolling on CCTV, the remaining "large" mechanical parts (MPM, radiators, PLBDs, vent doors and ET umbilical doors), a second GPC running SM in orbit, improve the flight deck and middeck, more payload options (upper stages and SPDS), plus more improvements to the Mission Editor so there are less "holes" in the mission editing process (configuration is turning out to be a big and complex problem). I would also like to get the starboard RMS done, but I'm not sure if that is going to work out before connecting the RMS/MCIU to the GPC, which I don't know when is going to happen. I also want to improve the landing gear, but before that I have to expose a bit of the touchdown point physics in Orbiter.

Less visible but still important things to do in the short term are continue to improve the DPS architecture by moving more IO to the MDMs and bug fixing.

Almost there...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Starting to feel a JWST and SLS vibe here: I keep working but the goal post keeps moving right... ?‍♂️

The major part of the forward fuselage is now mapped for all the 13 textures.
nose2nose.PNG
The forward part of the names is a bit stretched, but at this point I'm too saturated with tiles and blankets to bother.
The midbody should be much easier and faster as it lacks the curvatures of the forward fuselage. Trying not to think about the nightmare that could be mapping the OMS pods...

Last week I somehow opened Pandora's box and... long story short: the c.g. logic is now a bit better and subsystems affect it, as well as OMS/RCS prop.
Now I realize how HARD it was for the real mission planners to get the c.g. in the tiny "aero window" so it could maintain controlled flight during entry and landing... not that it matters for SSV at this point, as I still haven't figured out exactly where the airfoils should be located (it think Orbiter always does some things at position 0,0,0 and if the aero isn't near that... well, good luck), so currently c.g. doesn't affect the aero.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
GLS, where do you source your textures from?
This is a fork of SSU r3242, so the original textures come from there, but I'm currently editing them, most of the times pixel by pixel, so I also consider myself as a source.

Dustin2

Reaction score
Ok, Im completely new to this group and was looking for high res textures for a project Im building in 3ds Max. Its so hard t o find good textures that are mapped flat or even mappable...lol...these projects you're working on may be entirely different workflow than what Ive been doing, maybe not. Ill have to read up on what this forum is, apparently a simulator forum using Open Flight? Thanks for the info.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, Im completely new to this group and was looking for high res textures for a project Im building in 3ds Max. Its so hard t o find good textures that are mapped flat or even mappable...lol...these projects you're working on may be entirely different workflow than what Ive been doing, maybe not. Ill have to read up on what this forum is, apparently a simulator forum using Open Flight? Thanks for the info.

You know... it would be easier to help you, if you would at least say, what kind of textures you are looking for or what subject your project has.

(And yes, you might be waiting in line for some surprises here now)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The midbody should be much easier and faster as it lacks the curvatures of the forward fuselage.
Famous last words... ?‍♂️ The AFRSI version turned out to be a nightmare, mostly in terms of mental strength, but it's done! :hailprobe:
Here is a "Frankenstein version" of how things currently stand:
AFRSIeverywhere.PNG

Currently doing a "markings audit", a.k.a. checking the size and position of the flags, text, etc, so I can rest a bit from the TPS. Next in the list are the remaining 2 or 3 versions of the midbody, which just HAVE to be easier.

On the code front, very little work as things settle down for the release, just a few mass updates (the SPM and HPM SRBs are now much closer to reality).

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks good. Going to put my sts2016 to shame:)
How are you going to handle changes in the cameras? I have seen gold and silver cameras. Different ET's and SRB?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looks good. Going to put my sts2016 to shame:)
How are you going to handle changes in the cameras? I have seen gold and silver cameras. Different ET's and SRB?

I'd say each of you could work on different Shuttles. They all had small differences if I'm correct, being pretty much "prototypes". That way you could focus and specialize even more (y)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
What Orbiters are you planning on including in the release?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The CCTV system will be worked after the first release, both cameras meshes and code (some of which is already done). As for what the cameras look like, plus LED lights, they will be controlled by some parameters in the mission file.
The SRBs and ET, each have some (physical) configurations to choose from, each with a default texture, which can be changed in the Mission Editor.

What Orbiters are you planning on including in the release?
For now there will be 4 Columbia textures, 1 Challenger, 3 Discovery and Atlantis, and 2 Endeavour textures. The textures don't explicitly represent mission configurations, but rather a "timeframe" in the life of the vehicle. Several parameters are configurable, although some will for now be tied to the texture (chin panel, PLBD hinges... maybe others I don't remember now).

I'd like to work the vehicle configuration more (which is turning out to be a major problem), maybe have a few default sets of "vehicle parameters" to choose from, which would be supported by default, but also allow for (maybe full) customization. Something like reference missions:
Mission 1:
SysA = installed
SysB = not installed
SysC = version xyz
Texture = something.dds
ET = SLWT
Software = OI-27
Launch Site = VAFB

Mission 2:
SysA = not installed
SysB = ....

But if I do it now, this thing will take even longer to release, so I'm leaving it for later.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Midbody texture is finally finished! :hailprobe:

sts1pad.PNG

Just finished the top of the aft compartment, and next will be the line of tiles forward of the OMS pods. After that, there are some parts missing in the aft end, which should end this "chapter" of work, leaving (just) the OMS pods and bottom textures.
Also did more small corrections and additions to the code, as well as starting branches for the C&W and thumbwheels. Although not a priority, this last one might just make the v1.0 train.

Some insane stats: I'm doing an average of 3 commits per day, and last night I realized there were over 2000 layers in the OV texture source.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
You don't fully appreciate these people....
Space_Shuttle_Columbia_receives_her_thermal_tiles_at_KSC_%28KSC-79P-319%29.jpg

... until you do something similar:
HRSIeverywhere.PNG

Yes, I went full bananas, again ?‍♂️, but it's pretty much impossible to get an image of the underside that isn't at an angle, and perspective correction isn't easy with something this big. This way it should be a little bit easier to handle the curved transition from the bottom to the sides/top, although the "flat" parts do take a bit more effort. Another plus is that most tiles will be shown and they should be pretty much in the right place, so you can find your own favorite tile. :ROFLMAO:
The only 2 items on the list are the underside and then the OMS pods.