Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
There are servers with a wide variety of "game modes" and build/refine/repair/assemble/grind speeds.

Unfortunately we don't currently have a dedicated Orbiter Forum server.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It is a sad, sad addition to the game. It basically does what the debug screen does in Minecraft.

I wasn't talking about GPS, although that is a welcome addition. I was ecstatic over the text block. :) It's nice to be able to keep track of where different storage compartments on the ship are!

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about GPS, although that is a welcome addition. I was ecstatic over the text block. :) It's nice to be able to keep track of where different storage compartments on the ship are!

Ehh, there's already an option to "Show on HUD" different components. (?)

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I hope the text panel will display at least some beginning part of the text on the panel's surface in later updates, or otherwise at least the title.

Gerdih

Reaction score
There are servers with a wide variety of "game modes" and build/refine/repair/assemble/grind speeds.

Unfortunately we don't currently have a dedicated Orbiter Forum server.

Are there any plans or someone willing to build one?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are there any plans or someone willing to build one?

Building such a server is likely easier than hosting one. Did somebody already test the servers in a LAN for telling what network performance is required?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Wasn't there an OF SE server not so long ago?
It wasn't particularly interesting, compared to minecraft one (and i was a bit too trigger happy in there :( ).

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It wasn't particularly interesting, compared to minecraft one (and i was a bit too trigger happy in there :( ).

Yup. I don't think anyone found it particularly interesting.

There are a few inexpensive hosting options out there, on top of doing it yourself if you have the resources, like Hielor with the MC server. I had one with PingPerfect for a month or so, without any problems other than game updates breaking things server-side and the mentioned lack of interest. Their service was quite cheap, and they were very helpful.

I'd be willing to do it again, except I wouldn't be able to play on the server with this satellite connection for half of every month, and my wages are about half of what they were back then. I don't suppose there would be some way to share the expense between multiple users?

Gerdih

Reaction score

Well, as I can say, the fun of Hielor Minecraft server, apart of obvious factors came by:

-The possibility to stablish an economy ( diferent values for resources )

-The possibility to make projects with the orbinauts

-The possibility of adquiring roles on the world: farmer, miner, builder, or a lonely wolf far away from the main city

-The possibility of a certain 'evolution', as the gamers get experience they build more complex buildings and machines.

In my case I started as a simple user who had no idea about how to do a single nice house. But ended being a farmer( in the way of minecraft) who farmed iron in large quantities, had an important paper on the production of gold and ender eyes ( strange products ) and took part on the construction of the biggest structure of the server ( Sky City).

If Space Engineers has all those possibilities and/or more, I think its already enough to enjoy quite well for some months, or even a year.

This is space related and that gives other possibilites I can't imagine, I do not have this game. But I have seen some videos, and I admit quite an important number of things I have seen seems quite great.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What does it take to host a server, btw?
Looks like it's a Windows PC and a static IP.
I got both, unused and for free.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Having some time to reflect on the GPS, given that this is an engineering game, I suppose it fits the style.

As for the inventory... I wish each ship / station had only one inventory, with all the items going in there. All storage and production blocks would share incoming and outgoing inventory.

They added the different filters and ability to search, but even with that, when you have several hundred storage and production blocks, the amount of scrolling and searching you have to do is insane.

Gerdih

Reaction score
I see the game costs 23 € on steam. Does someone know if I can get it cheaper somewhere? :)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Okay, shall we try it?

Server: 91.206.14.91
Group necessary: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ofse
Name: OF Server East
ID: OFSE
Version: 01_066_015

How to: In Steam, go to View > Servers, and add the address above to your favourites. While in game, you can return to that window and select "Connect".

It's a bit rickety now, but i can make it permanent if the interest is here.

Nothing in there so far, just a few asteroids and a crashed ship.
I wasn't able to figure out how to create infinite asteroids world, so it's limited for now.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Did somebody already test the servers in a LAN for telling what network performance is required?
I've been only testing it on 127.0.0.1 for some time so I have no real statistics.

I only tested today if moving the traffic to the local network through the router as a gateway (route add 192.168.1.5 192.168.1.1 mask 255.255.255.255 metric 1) and connecting to the IP address of the physical interface instead of the loopback changes something, but except from observing blinking LEDs I haven't checked yet how much data is being transferred. I guess I need to run some network monitor to get real data. :p

How to: In Steam, go to View > Servers, and add the address above to your favourites. While in game, you can return to that window and select "Connect".

Or simply create an Internet shortcut to:
Code:
steam://connect/91.206.14.91:27016
It will launch the game automatically and will connect to the server if the server is running.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Ok, server changed to an infinite world, everything else the same.
Someone connected successfully before the change, so the setup should be fine.
In other words, the server is online stable. :)

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What are the inventory sizes/machine speeds?