Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Makes sense, now that the game is pretty much complete.

I sure hope it's not complete.

Procedural content is nice, but this game needs... a game.

Right now, it's: Mine something. Build something. Crash it. Put it in the shadow, turn off meteors or put up 4 guns once you have enough resources.

I wish the inventory and GUI would get redesigned. It's a damn menace. Searching through inventory is only possible with the search feature and the various filters. But if your inventory system is so bad that it needs search and filters, you've really screwed up.

And I never want to see that damn blue color ever again. Ever.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

Minecraft sells pretty well without one. Sandboxes are what you make of them.

I would, however, dearly want them to bring in oxygen and food/water management into the core game before they call it done. Give us the ability to get out of our suits - and for those suits to be damaged, perhaps, to add another survival element to that game mode. Otherwise I'm reasonably happy with what the game already has.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Minecraft sells pretty well without one. Sandboxes are what you make of them.

I would, however, dearly want them to bring in oxygen and food/water management into the core game before they call it done. Give us the ability to get out of our suits - and for those suits to be damaged, perhaps, to add another survival element to that game mode. Otherwise I'm reasonably happy with what the game already has.

also, the survival game is a pretty tough challenge and that you can make it much harder by forming fractions on your server and blowing the constructions of the other players up is sure sandbox enough. :lol:

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
i'd just like there to be a reason beyond OCD for me to get all my windows to actually seal up, without gaps... but I think having to manage a ship or base's O2 resources and conserve enough energy to make food, however that works (replicator?) would add a lot more to the survival mode of the game. Of course, those elements might well tie in to the exploration update - find a ship with 900 sacks of potatoes, and eat like a king for twelve days!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
i'd just like there to be a reason beyond OCD for me to get all my windows to actually seal up, without gaps... but I think having to manage a ship or base's O2 resources and conserve enough energy to make food, however that works (replicator?) would add a lot more to the survival mode of the game. Of course, those elements might well tie in to the exploration update - find a ship with 900 sacks of potatoes, and eat like a king for twelve days!

Sure. Also it would be cool if you could have more inside a base than just medical stations and production facilities. But a lot of this could also be added by modding.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Right, I'm also highly disappointed by the survival aspect of the game. The game's trying to be a Minecraft-CoD in space, but failing at both.

Respawn timer and assault rifle? I really don't see a point for either. It seems they were just thrown in there.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Sure. Also it would be cool if you could have more inside a base than just medical stations and production facilities. But a lot of this could also be added by modding.

What? So mods should now fix horrible flaws with the game?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Sorry, but I think you are just complaining for the sake of complaining. You complain about horrible flaws, which are actually consequence of the intended gameplay - if you don't like to play such Sandbox games, don't buy them. No need to insult your own intelligence.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Right, I'm also highly disappointed by the survival aspect of the game. The game's trying to be a Minecraft-CoD in space, but failing at both.

Respawn timer and assault rifle? I really don't see a point for either. It seems they were just thrown in there.

I agree entirely. Those serve no purpose but were added early on for whatever reason. Fine, they're there, I enjoyed irritating Michaeldim with them.

The crafting isn't great, but that's something they can expand on in a proper beta. Getting the framework into place, like KSP have done, is the purpose of this phase.

I don't think it's a "horrible flaw", I think it's just unfinished - I guess that could be a flaw if the game went to beta with it, but in Early Access it's fine, provided it's on the roadmap. But I don't know if it is, because I haven't seen that roadmap (has anyone outside of the dev team?).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

I absolutely agree. I want to be able to do something with the ships I make other than ram them into other ships.

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's up, but limited to 8 players for now.

IP is 192.99.161.90:27215

To join, you must be in the Steam group here:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ofse

I just got SE as part of the encore sale yesterday.

Is the server still up? I joined the steam group and added the server to my favorites, but it says "Game: not responding"

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Wow. That last update looks... complicated. But perhaps just the bit of kit my base has been missing.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just got SE as part of the encore sale yesterday.

Is the server still up? I joined the steam group and added the server to my favorites, but it says "Game: not responding"

No, the interest died pretty quickly. And at this point, my satellite connection would prohibit me from playing in my own server (ping hovers around three seconds), so I'd rather pass that torch to someone else.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So Space Engineers is now 0x10c!

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about this programmable block.

If you make a game, everyone should be able to learn the mechanics. Programming isn't something that can be learned quickly.

For everyone that knows how to program, it'll be good, but a lot of people will have to just beg for scripts...

The functional blocks like sensors, alarms, pistons and rotors are nice, but I think this doesn't belong in the vanilla game. I just hope they fix the pistons and rotors. It takes so many pistons to move a door without it bouncing all over the place and the moving door destroys all blocks it slides next to...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Programming isn't something that can be learned quickly.

Or it will make people learn programming quickly - have you ever see young kids play with Lego Mindstorms? Trying to imitate what others do can be a very powerful way to learn things, even if it is not instantly resulting in the kids painting a Mona Lisa at the first try.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It's not exactly a vanilla thing. You have to enable it and make/download scripts still. It's not part of normal gameplay. It's going to make the Workshop much more interesting. I like a lot of modding in my sandbox games.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned about security implications of the code--what limitations are imposed on it? If (for example) I'm hosting a Space Engineers server, would it be possible for someone to do malicious things via this code?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or it will make people learn programming quickly - have you ever see young kids play with Lego Mindstorms? Trying to imitate what others do can be a very powerful way to learn things, even if it is not instantly resulting in the kids painting a Mona Lisa at the first try.

Hey, I started programming when I was 14 so I could make mods for Unreal Tournament. I'm a big fan of games diving a SDK to the players so those with skills can make mods.

I just don't think programming should be stuck in the game directly.