Gaming Shores of Hazeron

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Xyon linked to this in the 0x10c thread, and I think it really deserves its own thread.

http://hazeron.com/

Shores of Hazeron is an ambitious and revolutionary game of science fiction adventure, intrigue, and war.

It's also extremely hard to learn what's going on, has a steep learning curve, and several annoying issues ("I'm the emperor, why am I needing to pay for everything?" or "We have space travel but we don't have telephones, so if you want to change what a building is doing you need to walk to it")...but that said, I can't put it down.

Is there an existing empire that people are looking for members in? Would O-F members be interested in founding an empire?

I've given up on my first attempt at empire-building (RIP Hieloria) and am starting over from scratch now that I have a better idea of what's needed for long-term planning.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've read a bit, and I would be very interested in trying it out for a while, but ohhhhh that stone-age laptop! :facepalm:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Shores of Hazeron, the revolutionary space empire MMO
It's an online game.
Therefore, not worth bothering with.

Nice idea, however.
Good to see these kind of games picking up in quantity and quality.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I have an empire. "The Cult of the Probe" feel free to join. if the flag is a scaled up :probe: your in the right place!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have an empire. "The Cult of the Probe" feel free to join. if the flag is a scaled up :probe: your in the right place!
Haha, I made "Holy Proban Empire" but haven't had a chance to get started on anything yet. I've got some ideas to ensure very efficient city layouts (at least compared to the first one I tried), and fairly advantageous racial traits.

How far along is your empire?

It's an online game.
Therefore, not worth bothering with.

Nice idea, however.
Good to see these kind of games picking up in quantity and quality.
The universe is large enough that you could probably go for quite a while without ever seeing anyone, if you didn't want to.

Plus, the game is set up that you kind of need other players in order to run an empire of any appreciable size. From what I've seen, a single player optimally running only a single solar system by themselves would be quite a feat.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
We have a powerstation. thats the height of my empire at the moment.
My latest status report:
Code:
[B]MORALE[/B]
+1 Loyalty Bonus. Citizens pledge allegiance to The Cult of the Probe.
-1 penalty, Fire Station wanted.
Morale remained steady at 0.

[B]POPULATION[/B]
Citizens are Scavenger.
A baby was born.
Loyalty is 86%.
Population increased by 1 to 45.

[B]LIVING CONDITIONS[/B]
Jobs 83
Non-Construction 83
Construction 0
Homes 104
Apartments 0
Condominiums 0
Farms 40
Houses 64
Orchards 0
Food 2222

[B]POWER RESERVE[/B]
95% Capacity
Reserve Power 2198
Reserve Capacity 2300

[B]FACILITIES[/B]
Name                  TL    Levels
Coal Power Plant   1      4
Farm                   1     20
House                 1     32
Machine Shop       1     8
Mine                   1     17
Road                   1     23
Smelter               1     8
Town Square        1     1

[B]INVENTORY[/B]
Storage Capacity Per Commodity 7000
[U]Food and Drinks[/U]
Animal Carcass  2211 Q58
[U]Tools[/U]
Fitting Wrench  6990  Q58
Hammer  6991  Q58
Pliers  80  Q58
Screw Driver  150  Q58
Shovel  6983  Q58
Wrench  6997  Q58
[U]Construction Materials, Spare Parts and Fuel[/U]
Coal  6961 Q52
Mechanical Part  6992 Q58
Metal  6991 Q58
Stone  6993 Q95
[U]Miscellaneous[/U]
Crystals  6998 Q141
Minerals  6993 Q136
Ore  6992 Q58
Plant Fiber  4643 Q108
Vegetable  6973 Q110

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I saw this thread and had to throw in my experience of this game so far.

My biggest issue with it is movement lag. That is, lag while physically moving the character caused by slow position updates. From where I am, it's constant.

Despite this, my empire stretches two sectors and three systems, and I'm manufacturing TL15 starships with all sorts of fancy doo-hickies like shields and so on. It's fiendisly addictive once you get past the bugs and the lag, but it improves all the time. With the distance between my empire and everyone else, it's like playing a single-player game most of the time (with an IRC client and some whopping lag).

Good, good fun. :)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
The galaxy may be large, but its also inhabited by some pretty big empires, which is why I chose to leave the location off the top of that report.

Pablo49

Reaction score
I tried to play this some time ago. Unfortunately my weak CPU plus the game's already iffy performance made it basically unplayable. Also the GUI seemed cluttered.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Current flagship (Thompson class, TL15):

VXN_Thompson_Class.png

Empire capitol starbase (Core class, TL15):

VXSB_Core.png

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Anyone successfully used atmosphere harvesters? Someone in the chat said that you needed enough range to reach the center of the planet, but if that's the case you wouldn't be able to harvest cryo from gas giants before TL18 or so, and your ship would have something like 2400 atmosphere harvester modules...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't play it... hardware requirements are not fulfilled. New machine is scheduled for July or August currently. (Unless I save money for something with dual GPUs, 96 GB RAM and hexacore Intel)

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, after my recent round of colonization, the Holy Proban Empire is now ranked 9 on the empire standings and it's rapidly becoming a bit much for me to handle on my own.

Currently has all ship-important resources at TL32 except antiflux, of which I have a fairly large TL31 stash. Regularly building TL32 ships. Current goals are expanding the existing infrastructure for more storage and defense, along with locating the remaining TL32 resources (antiflux and preons, mainly) and Q255 resources for continued improvement.

Anyone interested in joining up to bring the Probe to those that have not yet been hailed?

Chub777

Reaction score
This game seems interesting. Created an account and attempted to join Hielor's empire. A password is needed to join the empire, and I would like to join.

Yankee

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Oh man. Looks amazing, like Orbiter and Dwarf Fortress had a baby. I'll definitely try this out and join the Probe if I can get a nice break from doing homework :(

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Password is the orbiter forum name of the creator of Orbiter. Should be easy enough for any Orbiteer to figure out.

I'll see about moving a few scout ships to the homeworld, so people who join can get a ship of their own to start off with.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
This game does indeed look promising. It did suffer from a strange problem when I first tried to start playing, saying something along the lines of 'invalid DNA'. I created a new character, which didn't work either (got stuck on a weird screen full of flashing lights :huh:). I ragequitted, tried again, and miraculously, it worked. But moving is really slow. I mean, around 2 frames per second slow, which is not only annoying, but it also makes me dizzy. Trees moving in the wind or stars moving on the sky are perfectly smooth. I know this is a multiplayer game, but is it really so laggy for everyone?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
This game does indeed look promising. It did suffer from a strange problem when I first tried to start playing, saying something along the lines of 'invalid DNA'. I created a new character, which didn't work either (got stuck on a weird screen full of flashing lights :huh:). I ragequitted, tried again, and miraculously, it worked. But moving is really slow. I mean, around 2 frames per second slow, which is not only annoying, but it also makes me dizzy. Trees moving in the wind or stars moving on the sky are perfectly smooth. I know this is a multiplayer game, but is it really so laggy for everyone?
Unfortunately, the movement lag is occasionally very, very severe :(

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, bit of a different request, here--looks like I'll be up and moving to another part of the galaxy, and I don't really want what I've done so far to go to waste.

So, is there anyone who'd like to take over the current holdings of the Holy Proban Empire? They can either be transferred to your own empire (in which case the "Holy Proban Empire" would probably cease to exist, as I'm wanting to start again with different DNA), or you can just step in and take over the Holy Proban Empire as-is.

Any interest?

Keatah

Reaction score
Being old school here I tend to dislike online games. Because in 20 years from now, will I still be able to have a quick play? Probably not. Sounds odd, I'm sure, but that's the way we grew up.