Orbiter 2024 Launch readiness

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Somehow I got cmake to generate the documents! :hailprobe: Well... 2 of them, as the technical manual fails, probably due to the need to convert the *.eps image files. Still not sure how to solve this... might just give up for now, move forward to the PR merge and fix later.

This progress on the documentation is excellent. It may already exist, but is there a centralized place where community members can report any issues with documentation, through GitHub or elsewhere? Some guidance on the opening pages of the actual documentation that points the user to where to report bugs and documentation issues might help herd most of the cats in the correct direction and put the information where it can be used effectively.
Isolated tickets can be posted, or at this point this ticket can be used as a centralized location for documentation issues. The issues I identified are already listed there.
Of course, the user can also correct the issue and post a PR, but before that, my conversion work PR, has to be completed and merged.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
the technical manual fails, probably due to the need to convert the *.eps image files
Nop, just a silly typo... 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
So, all 3 documents can now be build/compiled by cmake (in just 15 seconds)!!!
One small issue is that the *.eps conversion leaves the *.pdf files in the repository folder, as opposed to the working directory with the other files. They don't show up in git as the *.pdf files are in the gitignore file, so it is not as bad as it could be, but it is not optimum. This one I don't think can be fixed without an explicitly deleting each file.
Anyway, this should be it. Tomorrow I'll delete the original doc sources (they can always be obtained from git history) and make the PR available for merge.

Gondos

Reaction score
Speaking of documentation, the Lua API doc should be ready to merge. The generated doc is attached here, feel free to comment if you find some errors.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I think this PR is now (at last) ready for review and merge. Again, IMO it is better perform a squash merge to minimize space requirements.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What remains to be updated document-wise from and end user standpoint is the D3D9Client manual as it has no mention of the atmospheric rendering or the support for custom terrain flattening files (*.flt).

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think this PR is now (at last) ready for review and merge. Again, IMO it is better perform a squash merge to minimize space requirements.

It's been merger to orbitersim:latex_doc_update and ready for receiving updates, corrections and reviews. So far, I haven't been able to build the documentation due to some font problems. "NotoSansMono" font is a part of MikTex installation in MiKTex/fonts/truetype/google/noto/ but build process refuses to use it. I am trying to build with TeXnicCenter.

Code:
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex.exe (file NotoSansMono-Regular-tlf-ts1--base): Font NotoSansMono-Regular-tlf-ts1--base at 600 not found
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It's been merger to orbitersim:latex_doc_update and ready for receiving updates, corrections and reviews. So far, I haven't been able to build the documentation due to some font problems. "NotoSansMono" font is a part of MikTex installation in MiKTex/fonts/truetype/google/noto/ but build process refuses to use it. I am trying to build with TeXnicCenter.

Code:
!pdfTeX error: pdflatex.exe (file NotoSansMono-Regular-tlf-ts1--base): Font NotoSansMono-Regular-tlf-ts1--base at 600 not found
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Thanks!
I don't think a font is being (explicitly) set, so I'm not sure what the problem could be... I never got any font problems, both in TeXworks or cmake.