Retro Cool Technology

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Really sad. His invention was really important for German history in the end... after all the TR-909 was one important factor in the Techno era.

And the TR-808 was even recently still mentioned in German pop music (Deichkind, "So 'ne Musik": "Drücken die ganze Nacht auf die 808" - "Pressing the whole night on the 808")

And you can't listen to the record of Marvin Gayes "Sexual Healing" without also hearing a 808 in the background...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ran across this video from 2009 about retro-tech. In a meta sort of way it's interesting because of how much "modern" tech in this vid is now itself obsolete. Eg. look at all the flip phones.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Speaking of a somewhat more recent retro, i've been performing some necromancy on a corpse of an old fax machine, the sort that uses thermal paper.

It's an obscenely simple printer design - just a chip-on-glass strip and a stepper-driven roller, and i hope to eventually 3d-print a new case for it, small enough to fit into a pocket.

So far i stuck it full of logic probes, figured out the signals, then removed all the bulky 90's era guts and wired the business parts directly to a microcontroller.

TL;DR: Some techno-necromancy got me a slow B&W printer!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV3GkS-F5F3/

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-40462275/fifty-years-of-colour-tv

Colour telly fifty(in the UK). Happy Birthday.
Remember it starting, used to show "trade test transmissions" during the day. They were made for telly-shops to demo the new colour sets.
Wasn't unusual to pass a high-street shop with dozens of sets showing the same prog. Well, BBC 2 was the only colour channel in the UK, for a while!

By a strange coincidence, just given a 22"PIL tube to a friend while clearing my flat for sale. Didn't think I'd ever use it...

http://www.readorrefer.in/article/Precision-In-Line--P-I-L---Color-Picture-Tube_12051/

Just for reference, the delta-gun is older, may have been the first mass-produced colour crt.
http://www.readorrefer.in/article/Delta-Gun-Color-Picture-Tube_12050/

Last edited:

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I dimly remember my folks getting our first colour telly. Must have been mid-70s I suppose.

Funnily enough last weekend I was watching an old B&W programme from those days, which I only vaguely remembered:

Callan_title.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callan_(TV_series)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Callan, takes me back. Done at the place I used to work at. Before my time, and all finished in the 60's I think.
Edward Woodward did a few things for Thames. A pilot for a series called Redcap, about military police C.I.D. types and another called Frontier. No record of Frontier, but I think Redcap turned into the Callan character.

N.

Edit: seems Callan was also done in colour, finished in 72.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The most often repeated TV broadcast is still B&W here...initially aired 4 years before PAL became standard.

Luckily PAL was developed after NTSC and fixed the hue error issue.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
It was later than NTSC.
It really didn't fix the multi-path error problem, just changed it to a saturation error, so less noticeable.

There was an industry "Joke" going around regarding a commercial for ITT colour sets.

"Only ITT has Tint Control!", reply, "Only ITT needs Tint Control..."

Still gets a laugh
https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/comment/37578193

N.

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
The original Twilight Zone in B/W is still broadcast on cable here in the US. ScyFy channel is doing a July 4th TZ marathon today if I am not mistaken. Color TV was certainly an advancement, but the move away from B/W spelled an end to a certain type of cinematography, unfortunately. Over the years they've tried to revive the Twilight Zone series, but they lacked two very important things: Rod Serling's brilliant writing, and black and white film.

You just can't beat B/W for Cold War paranoia.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think anything related to Project Gemini counts as retro tech, no?

This film shows really cool simulator hardware, and also is a good explanation of how listing re-entry works.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow!

I watched that exact video 2 days ago. What are the odds? :cheers:

The user who posted that video, Jeff Quitney, posts a lot like that and they pop up in my recommendations all the time; probably yours, too. It doesn't surprise that Orbinauts all wind up watching the same youtube channels.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It doesn't surprise that Orbinauts all wind up watching the same youtube channels.

I've been here since the M6 days, and this is the first time I've noticed.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
A while back I bought a science kit for kids thing whose main project was an Edison phonograph kit. It's mostly plastic and has a battery-powered motor and you record onto foil cylinders. Unfortunately it's a piece of junk and I could never get it to reproduce my voice no matter how hard I tried. It amazes me that Edison himself ever got it to work, given that he had no prior example to base it on.

Anyhow, I've been watching this guy's videos lately. He explains a lot of really cool technology history.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score

That looks pretty cool, but I notice that none of the photos or videos show the part of the device that comes into contact with the vinyl, which raises alarm bells in my head.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

For some retro type stuff that isn't really retro, check this out:

https://www.gramovox.com/

No, they don't show the traction system. As long as its not caterpillar-tracks, it'll be fine.

N.

So this was apparently released, and we were right to be wary of it; turns out it's pretty awful.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I've talked recently with an old friend, who had published a game on Steam. He told me, that the competition there is so high now, that you can barely make your game visible these days.

That sort of thing is becoming popular now (...)

So could it be, that some game developers gave up competing for money and focus on pure fun and set themselves tougher goals in form of hardware limitations, to be more distinctive from the Steam / Unity "easy-peasy" crowd?

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Retro tech? Now THIS is cool retro tech. The Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California, restores ancient machines to full working order. Here they have a fully operational IBM 1401 from 1959 and they figured out how to run Fortran on it, which it was never designed to do. This thing is a giant, breathing, chattering beast and these guys put so much love into it.

And here they restored a 1959 DEC PDP-1:

Last edited: