New Release Release of OrbiterSound 4.0 (3D)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I miss only 1 thing. Custom Base Sounds should allow MP3 playback IMHO. Converting 4 minute song into uncompressed Wav fitting under 4mb is a bit tricky.

advantages:
longer loop of ambient sound
I could put "Cosmos" theme on Carl Sagan Space Center

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
(roaring applause!!)
(audience settling down)

:lol:

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

I miss only 1 thing. Custom Base Sounds should allow MP3 playback IMHO. Converting 4 minute song into uncompressed Wav fitting under 4mb is a bit tricky.

The problem is real time decompression of mp3, the lack of control and support and the fact that those sound are meant to be discreet ambiance sound only. (factory, town background etc.). This because a repeating <noticeable> sound as a song (which sound like a good idea at first) become really boring after the tenth loop and finally completely spoil the ambiance.

What would improve the system is allowing 15-20 3D short range sound per base, you'd approach the factory and hear it, approach the hydroponic and hear the bugs fly etc. etc. (Orbiter would become a sort of RPG)

I'm not sure I would do that for 4.5 version anyway, 10-15 sound have a loading and cpu price and such ambiance sound have to be done carefully for a good result. I'm not sure at all that so much addon would use this system and I'm not sure about the result.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Outstanding work :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:thumbup:

I love the backwards compatibility, and the overall feel is great. The new ATC & generic sounds are a lot better than 3.5, but I do miss the old sound of

TRANslation BEEP, ROtation BEEP!

What can I say, It was burned into my soul :lol:

Keatah

Reaction score
..but I do miss the old sound of TRANslation BEEP, ROtation BEEP!

Well, why not copy the old translation/rotation .wav files from 3.5 into the new 4.0 install?

Or edit the configuration files. Read the documentation.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
My Dad was a huge Vangelis fan and loved their music....
He died 9 years ago and when I heard the music for the first time tonight looking down at that blue earth below me it litterally brought tears to my eyes...........

Just a sentimental fool I guess.........................:cheers:

I was waiting for Carl Sagan to start talking when I first heard it. Very "Cosmos-esk". (Whose soundtrack was by Vangelis). It seems though that the music is louder in version 4. I used to play mp3 in all view in space with a custom soundtrack. Now, music seems to drown out everything else. Volume = 255 in both cases.

Well, I tried version 4 on a fresh install of Orbiter. A few things I miss such as old thruster sounds, "translation", "rotation", and even air-on-a-g-string. But I know that can be fixed via config. So overall very cool. I loved the supersonic effects most of all. (Though you can still hear a muted wind sound from the front). Reentry sounds would be second. However, I am a little nervous to install over my "baby" or working install of Orbiter as I have included numerous custom sounds and mp3s. I am considering renaming my sound folder before install to preserve its contents. If I ran into problems and wanted to go back to 3.5, what all would I have to undo?

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Just keep two orbiter directories & installs till you're satisfied with the new one.

Copy your existing Orbiter directory [Orbiter] to something like [Orbiter-test]. Now you have two installs. And you test out new mods and add-ons on the [Orbiter-test]. If something breaks or you don't like it. Well.. just delete [Orbiter-test] and start over.

Your original [Orbiter] installation is not changed. I do this all the time with complex add-ons. Once I'm satisfied the new stuff is working, I then go ahead and call the [Orbiter-test] my new baseline.

Many of us keep multiple installations anyways. But in the case of Orbiter Sound I don't think you'll need to go back to a previous version. It seems pretty well put together. Sure, if you're old-school you might miss a few audio things or specific queues like the trans/rot beep. But you can fix those back by copying files or editing configurations.

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I am a little nervous to install over my "baby" or working install of Orbiter as I have included numerous custom sounds and mp3s. I am considering renaming my sound folder before install to preserve its contents. If I ran into problems and wanted to go back to 3.5, what all would I have to undo?

The installer do not delete "Vessel" folder, nor mp3 nor root "sound" folder. So other addons sound are not impacted at all by install.
If you don't like it you can still reinstall the current 3.5 version (available on my download page). I've put a limitation so it doesn't
install any more on Orbiter 2010 but there is a "install manually" instruction in the installer that will perfectly do the job..

The only things you should NOT do is install a old 3.5 pack and reply "yes" at "remove old install" because this one will delete the
folder "Sound/Vessel" used by some authors.

To be 100% sure simply save the folder "sound" before, you'll have all the addon's sound saved.

----------------
If you are a developer take care all versions uninstall the folder "Sound/OrbiterSound_SDK", this folder should usually NOT be used
to put your C++ source anyway. By saving "Sound" folder before you are still 100% sure nothing will be messed.

Last edited:

Michkov

Reaction score
I ran into a small problem when changing mp3 modes ingame so that it would play the file. The games freezes and wont come back to life. I have changed nothing with the Orbiter Sound files.

Also what about addon sound folders. Can I leave them in there old place inside ...\sound\ or to I have to move them?

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
By the way . . . thanks for the Jingle Bells upon startup. :)

:thumbup:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
This is awesome!
I'm really excited for the UMMU/DGIV/UCGO new-ersions, but I'll probably wait until they're ready.

picto

Reaction score
I didn't take time to thank you for your great work on this addon too.
The new Orbitersound is awesome !

I can't say that in good english. The new features offer a great "immersion" et une dimension supplémentaire indéniable à Orbiter. Bravo !

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have been playing around with this since it was released and everything is working great and the 3D effects are something else! Great work as usual! I have one request though, for the custom base sounds. Right now it takes 5 parameters. I'm requesting a 6th parameter: distance from base point the sound will play. I have this problem that a sound plays too strongly too far away from the base point I have set it to play (14500 m). It plays just as strong at that point as it does 10 km away. Or is there another option/solution for this issue I have not considered?

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I have been playing around with this since it was released and everything is working great and the 3D effects are something else! Great work as usual! I have one request though, for the custom base sounds. Right now it takes 5 parameters. I'm requesting a 6th parameter: distance from base point the sound will play. I have this problem that a sound plays too strongly too far away from the base point I have set it to play (14500 m). It plays just as strong at that point as it does 10 km away. Or is there another option/solution for this issue I have not considered?

I'm not sure I'm getting it right:

In the doc:
Code:
"3-Sound range around base in meters (min 2100, max 40000 - notice the sound starts to fade out at this distance)"

If you mean that the sound is still strong at 14500 this is normal as it *start* to fade out at this distance. If you want it to end at 14500 you'll have to set the distance at 10000 or such (make test).
If you mean that it's still as loud at 24500 ("10 km away") that is not normal of course.

Does it answer ?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm getting it right:

In the doc:
Code:
"3-Sound range around base in meters (min 2100, max 40000 - notice the sound starts to fade out at this distance)"

If you mean that the sound is still strong at 14500 this is normal as it *start* to fade out at this distance. If you want it to end at 14500 you'll have to set the distance at 10000 or such (make test).
If you mean that it's still as loud at 24500 ("10 km away") that is not normal of course.

Does it answer ?
I guess I'm a bit confused over the distance parameter. Is it where it will begin to play or start to fade out?

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
I guess I'm a bit confused over the distance parameter. Is it where it will begin to play or start to fade out?

Start to fade out.
It start to play at base's center and start to fade out at the distance parameter from center.

Hope it help ?

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is there a way to disable the New Year's Eve and New Year's Day startup sounds?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Set system clock forward/backward or wait. :p

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have a simple request for any future update to Orbiter Sound. When you have the option for "Auto disable autopilot if time warp > 10x" checked, make an exception for the Kill Rotate command. While warping time forward to go between planets, I'll often press 5 on the numeric keypad to get rid of the rotation, which works just fine even at 10,000x or 100,000x.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In the course of testing Face's new GenericVessel add-on framework, a serious bug in OS 4.0 has been identified. It is that any vessel that doesn't make use of OS 4.0 suffer a huge FPS loss. After some further troubleshooting it seems like the 3D effect of OS 4.0 is at the core of the problem. Turning it off returns the FPS to their normal values but as soon as you re-enable it in Sound Config, the FPS drops.