OHM Relativistic Warp MFD 1.5

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You do know that this warp drive at max goes around 200x the speed of light.:blink: Witch is insainly fast bacause it would take 8 minutes to travel to the sun from Earth at the speed of light.:lol:

200x times? Try 2500 times... Yeah I got that baby up to Gamma 2500, which results in a time dilation of 2500, hence for the occupant the perception of going at 2500 times light speed. Just for the fun of it, if you've got the minor planets add-on, go all the way to Sedna, then go out to Eris, then Pluto... That's insane...

I should download Voyager and Pioneer probes and put them at their proper location, just for the fun of going from Pioneer 10 to Voyager 2 in a few minutes, ship-time...:11sign:

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
This MFD is very cool.:thumbup:
You can set the speed until 0.99999999 but when you accelerate it only goes to 0.9999999. Could you set that it accelerates to 0.99999999? Would be nice.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When I tried the addon, I went from the Sun to Pluto and back six times. When I went upsatairs, the rest of my house was gone, and there were a group of people calling themselves, Eloy. :hail:

iceman2000mv

Reaction score
This mfd is spot on. I just took a trip from earth to sun and this is the result:
Charging time 15 sec
Actual travel time (ship reference) 2 min
Time elapsed in the sim (earth/universe reference) 9 min and 15 sec (because it didn't get to 0.999...C instantaneously)
Great job.:thumbup:

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, and hour and half is about right for the light time from Earth to Saturn:

1,500,000,000 km / 300,000 km/s = 5000 s = approx 1.5 hours.

And this is the correct time that a hypothetical observer would measure if they were stationary with respect to, for example, the Sun's inertial reference frame. But such a measurement does not describe the journey as experienced by the traveller going from Earth to Saturn at such speeds. The traveller would complete the journey in far less time in his own frame of reference.
O ok so time deviats extremely at that speed. I knew time deviated but i didn't think it did it to that extent.

Mogeley

Reaction score
It would have been really complicated to have it compute an orbit trajectory as well (at least for me). I use it to stop a good distance from the planet, then use other MFDs to do orbit insertion maneuvers.

A simple way for you to put the ship into an orbit would be offset your target destination to the left or right of the planet by the stopping distance. Then you can calculate your "stopping velocity" based on a circular orbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_orbit

Orbital velocity = sqrt(gravitational constant * planet Mass / stopping distance)

Here's one way to offset your destination point:
- get bearing to planet (should already have)
- get distance to planet
- bearing offset angle = atan(stopping distance/distance to planet)
- prograde orbit (counter clockwise from top town) offset angle is positive
- retrograde orbit has negative offset angle
- final bearing = bearing to planet + or - offset angle

Final heading = bearing to planet +- atan(stopping distance/distance to planet)

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A few ideas...

To add on the possible improvements, there's a few relatively easy way to calculate collision risks... I've found myself in some precarious situations a few times so far because my target ship had moved behind the planet or moon while I was in transit... For example, warping from Jupiter to ISS directly or from Pluto to KSC, the station or surface base can move during the transit time. One manual way to prevent this is to go at the surface base and use the proper visualization option to track the luminal ship before it goes to warp and verify that it is sufficiently above the horizon prior to jumping to light speed.

However, it could be possible, at least for surface bases, to compute the altazimutal position of the warping ship relative to the target base and issue a warning if the ship is too low or below the horizon, as this would result in contact with the surface or atmosphere prior to arrival at the target base.

Also, it would also be interesting to issue a warning if the target altitude above the planet's surface or the base is within the atmosphere... Reentry at 50 km/s could have nasty effects on some ship.

As for collision detection with moons, planets and such bodies, a check could be performed for any planets and moons which have a bearing close to the target planet bearing, and which are less distant from the ship than the target planet or moon. This would yield a list of possible hazards within a forward warning cone. From this list, after going to warp, you check the closest approach altitude (periapsis + body radius) for every object in the forward hazard list and if it goes below a certain value, say 1000 km, you either drop out of warp (simple) or alter trajectory with a new heading to clear the conflict.

To lighten the load on the CPU and make the MFD operate well even with slower computers, you can do the suggestions I made and along Mogeley's proposal with this type of process:

Pre-Warp:
- If the target is a base:
+Calculate the current altazimutal coordinate of the warping ship relative to it's target
+ If the ship is too low or below the horizon of the target base, set a warning flag
+ If the target altitude is below the atmosphere thickness of parent object, set a warning flag
- Get the bearing to target object
- Get distance to target object
- If the target is a planet or moon:
+ If the target altitude is below the atmosphere thickness, set a warning flag
+ Calculate the orbital velocity for target object at stopping distance from target with sqrt(gravitational constant * planet Mass / stopping distance)
+ Calculate the bearing offset angle (atan(stopping distance/distance to planet)
+ Calculate the offset sign (prograde/retrograde)
+ Update the target bearing with offset
- For every planet and moons in current star system:
+ Get bearing to planet
+ Get distance to planet
+ If Bearing to planet is close to target bearing AND distance to planet is less than the target object, add to the stack of Nav Hazards
- Reorder the Nav Hazards stack in increasing order of distance from the ship.
- Set a collision avoidance pointer to the first (and nearest) hazard in the stack
For every Orbiter frame during near-luminal operation:
- Check the Nav hazard object on the list specified by the collision avoidance pointer for closest approach distance (current periapsis + object radius)
- If closest approach is below the safety margin, either alter course or do an emergency stop
- If bearing to current Nav hazard object is out of the warning cone, remove it from the Nav hazard list
- Set the collision avoidance pointer to the next nearest object on the nav hazard list, or if at the end of the list, set it back to the nearest nav hazard object...

Doing so splits up the collision avoidance and detection work to a little every frame instead of everything every frame, removes objects that no longer could pose a threat and increase time available for collision avoidance of objects near the destination as you get closer...

Last edited:

nicker43

Reaction score
A simple way for you to put the ship into an orbit would be offset your target destination to the left or right of the planet by the stopping distance. Then you can calculate your "stopping velocity" based on a circular orbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_orbit

Orbital velocity = sqrt(gravitational constant * planet Mass / stopping distance)

Here's one way to offset your destination point:
- get bearing to planet (should already have)
- get distance to planet
- bearing offset angle = atan(stopping distance/distance to planet)
- prograde orbit (counter clockwise from top town) offset angle is positive
- retrograde orbit has negative offset angle
- final bearing = bearing to planet + or - offset angle

Final heading = bearing to planet +- atan(stopping distance/distance to planet)

This is essentially what I was thinking about doing, except I warp to a physical point in space, not just a bearing. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the correct point in space, but I would want to specify an inclination as well. We'll see. I'm working on version 1.5 right now that is multi-instance, remote control capable, and I'm concentrating on getting multiple warping vessels to their locations without crashing orbiter. This is an evolving project for me, so I'll keep adding features.

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

To add on the possible improvements, there's a few relatively easy way to calculate collision risks... I've found myself in some precarious situations a few times so far because my target ship had moved behind the planet or moon while I was in transit... For example, warping from Jupiter to ISS directly or from Pluto to KSC, the station or surface base can move during the transit time. One manual way to prevent this is to go at the surface base and use the proper visualization option to track the luminal ship before it goes to warp and verify that it is sufficiently above the horizon prior to jumping to light speed.

However, it could be possible, at least for surface bases, to compute the altazimutal position of the warping ship relative to the target base and issue a warning if the ship is too low or below the horizon, as this would result in contact with the surface or atmosphere prior to arrival at the target base.

Also, it would also be interesting to issue a warning if the target altitude above the planet's surface or the base is within the atmosphere... Reentry at 50 km/s could have nasty effects on some ship.

As for collision detection with moons, planets and such bodies, a check could be performed for any planets and moons which have a bearing close to the target planet bearing, and which are less distant from the ship than the target planet or moon. This would yield a list of possible hazards within a forward warning cone. From this list, after going to warp, you check the closest approach altitude (periapsis + body radius) for every object in the forward hazard list and if it goes below a certain value, say 1000 km, you either drop out of warp (simple) or alter trajectory with a new heading to clear the conflict.

To lighten the load on the CPU and make the MFD operate well even with slower computers, you can do the suggestions I made and along Mogeley's proposal with this type of process:

Pre-Warp:
- If the target is a base:
+Calculate the current altazimutal coordinate of the warping ship relative to it's target
+ If the ship is too low or below the horizon of the target base, set a warning flag
+ If the target altitude is below the atmosphere thickness of parent object, set a warning flag
- Get the bearing to target object
- Get distance to target object
- If the target is a planet or moon:
+ If the target altitude is below the atmosphere thickness, set a warning flag
+ Calculate the orbital velocity for target object at stopping distance from target with sqrt(gravitational constant * planet Mass / stopping distance)
+ Calculate the bearing offset angle (atan(stopping distance/distance to planet)
+ Calculate the offset sign (prograde/retrograde)
+ Update the target bearing with offset
- For every planet and moons in current star system:
+ Get bearing to planet
+ Get distance to planet
+ If Bearing to planet is close to target bearing AND distance to planet is less than the target object, add to the stack of Nav Hazards

- Reorder the Nav Hazards stack in increasing order of distance from the ship.
- Set a collision avoidance pointer to the first (and nearest) hazard in the stack
For every Orbiter frame during near-luminal operation:
- Check the Nav hazard object on the list specified by the collision avoidance pointer for closest approach distance (current periapsis + object radius)
- If closest approach is below the safety margin, either alter course or do an emergency stop
- If bearing to current Nav hazard object is out of the warning cone, remove it from the Nav hazard list
- Set the collision avoidance pointer to the next nearest object on the nav hazard list, or if at the end of the list, set it back to the nearest nav hazard object...

Doing so splits up the collision avoidance and detection work to a little every frame instead of everything every frame, removes objects that no longer could pose a threat and increase time available for collision avoidance of objects near the destination as you get closer...

This is also something I've been thinking about. I was initially going to do an algorithm that calculates the distance of all objects to a line, but that would be complex. I like your method a lot better about degrees from bearing. Maybe in version 1.6. :)

slim

Reaction score
cant d/l version 1.1

just sends me too login screen again

orbiterizmad

Reaction score
This is great!! Thanks alot mate. this is just a suggestion but if you could you could allow the warp drive to actually land the space craft on the pad.

Great Work!!!

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I still can't get this to come up in my vessel's list of MFDs. I've tried several vessels that I normally use. I've also downloaded both the 2005 and 2008 C++ packages. It shows up in the list of modules in the Orbiter launchpad, but that's it. Do we know if there are any conflicts with other addons or modules? I DO have quite a bit of stuff in my install.

Also has anyone got it to work in a DG or DGIV yet? Those are the only vessels I think I'd use it in anyway, and I've heard from several people here that it doesn't work in those ships.

nicker43

Reaction score
I still can't get this to come up in my vessel's list of MFDs. I've tried several vessels that I normally use. I've also downloaded both the 2005 and 2008 C++ packages. It shows up in the list of modules in the Orbiter launchpad, but that's it. Do we know if there are any conflicts with other addons or modules? I DO have quite a bit of stuff in my install.

Also has anyone got it to work in a DG or DGIV yet? Those are the only vessels I think I'd use it in anyway, and I've heard from several people here that it doesn't work in those ships.

Are you using 1.1? That problem mysteriously went away with that version. RWarp does work with the DG and DGIV. Until I've solved the cargo issues, just set FREETRAVEL to TRUE in the RWarp config file.

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought I had 1.1, what I did was just re-download it from Orbithangar, thinking it was updated to 1.1. But I found the link here in the thread, and it works great! It matches up perfectly with the DGIV. This is one of the best MFDs I've used. It's fantastic for futuristic settings. Thanks for making this!!!

Piet Barber

Reaction score
Website
www.pietbarber.com
This is a super-great MFD! Thanks for taking the time to make it! :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

I was orbiting Europa, and set a course for the ISS. For the way the ISS was in orbit from my position around Jupiter... well... My course took me on a tangent course just high enough through the Earth's upper atmosphere at 0.15 C or so as the UCGO Arrow was decelerating.

... Man that UCGO Arrow must have burned brilliantly in the Australian night sky. With that much mass ploughing through the atmosphere, I wonder if it was enough energy to burn everybody in Australia alive by the radiant heat alone. It must have been like a supernova going off in the night sky.

OBTW, the light was so bright and so many upper atmosphere muons were liberated that Orbiter 2009 Beta crashed to desktop.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is a super-great MFD! Thanks for taking the time to make it! :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

I was orbiting Europa, and set a course for the ISS. For the way the ISS was in orbit from my position around Jupiter... well... My course took me on a tangent course just high enough through the Earth's upper atmosphere at 0.15 C or so as the UCGO Arrow was decelerating.

... Man that UCGO Arrow must have burned brilliantly in the Australian night sky. With that much mass ploughing through the atmosphere, I wonder if it was enough energy to burn everybody in Australia alive by the radiant heat alone. It must have been like a supernova going off in the night sky.

OBTW, the light was so bright and so many upper atmosphere muons were liberated that Orbiter 2009 Beta crashed to desktop.
Tunguska II :rofl:

kevinvr

Reaction score
great addon thanks,
one question. does anyone know what the best distance from saturn would be because i tried 1000 and my dgiv crashed and burned, I also tried 12k, but it still crashed and burned. I will try a larger distance later and see what happens.
It worked great from earth to mars stopping at 1000km from it.
have a great day!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
great addon thanks,
one question. does anyone know what the best distance from saturn would be because i tried 1000 and my dgiv crashed and burned, I also tried 12k, but it still crashed and burned. I will try a larger distance later and see what happens.
It worked great from earth to mars stopping at 1000km from it.
have a great day!
12km is well inside Earth's atmosphere, let alone Saturn's...
Try something more like 10-20M (20 000 000).

kevinvr

Reaction score
12km is well inside Earth's atmosphere, let alone Saturn's...
Try something more like 10-20M (20 000 000).
Thanks Izack,
I tried 30.0M and it brought me close enough, nicely between saturns rings and the planet.
This is a really great MFD!

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Outer planets trick...

Thanks Izack,
I tried 30.0M and it brought me close enough, nicely between saturns rings and the planet.
This is a really great MFD!

A little trick: use a moon of the Outer Planets as a destination instead of the planet itself if you are not aiming for anything specific... For Jupiter, Europa... Saturn you can go to Tethys or Enceladus... You thus end up in a stable orbit, since you are synced with the already orbiting moon, without having to expand loads of fuel to get to orbital velocity on your own...