RC DeltaGliderIV project

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Wow, that's coming along very nicely.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I will!

I designed a nice DeltaGliderIV font that I'll print out, so I have a template to cut it out of foil. I'll stuck it across the leading edges of the wings and across the body :)

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking really good, well done!

Will we get a video of the finished, working model in flight? :p

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking really good, well done!

Will we get a video of the finished, working model in flight? :p

Plenty of them ;)

If all goes well, this weekend I'll start building the landing gear. Once that's on, I can put on the rest of the skin and plug the holes, sand everything done, install the electronics and fly!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wait for a calm day.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That, and the landing zone are most probable crash zones.
This thing could fly well at high speeds if it had flat wings...

Spicer

Reaction score
Can't wait to see more! Keep us updated!!!

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm working on the landing gear. I created the holder for the front gear last week and also filled up the holes in the wood and gave it a nice sanding on the wings.

I have a little bit more sanding to do on the nose and have to finish the back landing gear, but when that's done, the skin can come on and then the foil and it's pretty much done.

I guess I'll upload some pics tomorrow...

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry about not posting pics guys... my ride came before I could take them.

So, here they are:

DSC06357.JPG

This is the "shock absorber" for the front gear. I want the landing gear to be steerable and want the ability to drop the gear when I want to, so I can land in tall grass or stuff like that.

So I had to design something to accomplush both tasks. The wire you see here is 3 mm thick and does not run straight through. These are actually two wires that meet up in the 7 cm long orange plastic. In the plastic will be two screws preventing the wire to fall out.

In the shock absorber will be two springs to lessen the forces of impact on the front gear, so I don't tare it off.

At the top of the top wire will be a lever, leading to the rudder servo, which will rotate the gear.

The main landing gear is going to be a bit simpler, because it doesn't need to be steerable.

Here's the nose cone, from the top:

DSC06361.JPG

The nosecone itself I'm happy with, but I do have to sand out the right leading edge - the start of it (left on the picture). You can see the left one is nice and smooth, the right one has quite a curve to it.

http://www.unrealaddicts.com/forums/Janez/DeltaGliderIV/Build/DSC06363.JPG[img]
[img]http://www.unrealaddicts.com/forums/Janez/DeltaGliderIV/Build/DSC06365.JPG

I've also smoothed out the holes on both wngs. There's still some more sanding to do, but for the most part it's done. No more holes or bumps in there.

I've got one more week of school before new year holidays, so very soon I'll be able to work on this plane 24/7 again :)
If something doesn't go horribly wrong, then I should be done with the build during the holidays.

I've also been spending some time on the simulatory, flying extremelly wingloaded, extremelly tailheavy planes, as practice. To my surprise, you can cut the trainer's wings down from 1.5 m wingspan to 1 m wingspan and load it up to 4 kg and you'll still be able to fly and land without any problems. This effectivelly simulated a great reduction in lift and a great increase in weight. The landing speed was between 50 and 60 km/h, opposed to the 40 km/h of my trainer. So not too bad.

The closest I have to a delta wing on my simulator is a jet F-16. It is a real jet, with a turbine, but I practiced landing it to see how lift induced drag and drag from increased surface area at higher AOA would affect the plane. It glides pretty well untill you pitch your nose up to about 10°. I'm able to land an F-16 dead-stick, with ease, so I'm not expecting any major surprises on my first flight :)

Dambuster

Reaction score
I know you've probably thought way ahead on all this (and lets face it, my only real RC experience is flying some very study foam thing into two different trees :p), but pleaseee be careful!! This thing is just TOO COOL!!! :tiphat: