Humor Random Comments Thread

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I thought I'd slept through my alarm today. Then, just half an hour ago, at 19:00 "Beebeep! beebeep! beebeep!"

Tell me. Why did I have to bring an American alarm with me? That little "P" by the time is too easy to miss. Why couldn't I have bought a European alarm here, one that had only *one* 7:00 per day?

I grew up with American timekeeping, but seriously, I've set my alarm 12 hours off way too many times, and I'm now thoroughly sick and tired of American timekeeping.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I think Luke was "Red Five".

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
Luke was Red 5, but the number of markings on the wing indicates which number you are, and the color describes to what Squadron you belong to, I believe. Accordingly, that X-Wing would be Red Three.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I just stumbled across this...

1188664955302ay0.gif

Link to story

NEW YORK – Idaho resident Kathy Evans brought humiliation to her friends and family Tuesday when she set a new standard for stupidity with her appearance on the popular TV show, "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire."

It seems that Evans, a 32-year-old wife and mother of two, got stuck on the first question, and proceeded to make what fans of the show are dubbing "the absolute worst use of lifelines ever."

After being introduced to the show's host Meredith Vieira, Evans assured her that she was ready to play, whereupon she was posed with an extremely easy $100 question. The question was:

"Which of the following is the largest?"
A) A Peanut
B) An Elephant
C) The Moon
D) Hey, who you calling large?

Immediately Mrs. Evans was struck with an all consuming panic as she realized that this was a question to which she did not readily know the answer.

"Hmm, oh boy, that's a toughie," said Evans, as Vieira did her level best to hide her disbelief and disgust. "I mean, I'm sure I've heard of some of these things before, but I have no idea how large they would be."

Evans made the decision to use the first of her three lifelines, the 50/50. Answers A and D were removed, leaving her to decide which was bigger, an elephant or the moon. However, faced with an incredibly easy question, Evans still remained unsure.

"Oh! It removed the two I was leaning towards!" exclaimed Evans. "Darn. I think I better phone a friend."

Using the second of her two lifelines on the first question, Mrs. Evans asked to be connected with her friend Betsy, who is an office assistant.

"Hi Betsy! How are you? This is Kathy! I'm on TV!" said Evans, wasting the first seven seconds of her call. "Ok, I got an important question. Which of the following is the largest? B, an elephant, or C, the moon. 15 seconds hun."

Betsy quickly replied that the answer was C, the moon. Evans proceeded to argue with her friend for the remaining ten seconds.

"Come on Betsy, are you sure?" said Evans. "How sure are you? Puh, that can't be it."

To everyone's astonishment, the moronic Evans declined to take her friend's advice and pick 'The Moon.'

"I just don't know if I can trust Betsy. She's not all that bright. So I think I'd like to ask the audience," said Evans.

Asked to vote on the correct answer, the audience returned 98% in favor of answer C, 'The Moon.' Having used up all her lifelines, Evans then made the dumbest choice of her life.

"Wow, seems like everybody is against what I'm thinking," said the too-stupid-to-live Evans. "But you know, sometimes you just got to go with your gut. So, let's see. For which is larger, an elephant or the moon, I'm going to have to go with B, an elephant. Final answer." Evans sat before the dumbfounded audience, the only one waiting with bated breath, and was told that she was wrong, and that the answer was in fact, C, 'The Moon.'

What I like most is 98% of the audience voted for the moon, 2% voted for elephant. SO either its rigged, or... people are just being dumb, OR...there really are really stupid people out there.:idk: :shrug:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I have swine flu.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
first forum post from a zune hd!

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this...

Link to story

What I like most is 98% of the audience voted for the moon, 2% voted for elephant. SO either its rigged, or... people are just being dumb, OR...there really are really stupid people out there.:idk: :shrug:

Usually I treat such stories and demotivationals with scepticism... but this one comes with evidence you don't even need to look for...

The link to story you provided is a hoax debunking website. Furthermore, such a ridiculous event would usually land on YouTube with millions of views and many mirrors. I find none.

In fact, if you type "Elephants larger then the Moon" into YouTube search, the suggestion box opens with that suggestion, which means many people look for the same video title.

Oh and I don't know if you noticed the D) answer in the story.......

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Windows 7 install, from a DVD: Cannot find drivers for DVD, please insert DVD with needed drivers.
Me: WTF?!

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
http://www.nasa.gov/directorates/somd/reports/iss_reports/2009/10122009.html

At ~12:20pm, Roman & Max downlinked PAO/TV greetings and congratulations to Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov on his 90th birthday (on 11/10). [“…In your distant and half-starved childhood, you were using birchbark notebooks for your studies in school. In your youth, you were defending the Motherland during the Great Patriotic War, and then you invested all your knowledge, combat experience and life’s wisdom into creating the world's best firearms – the submachine gun that was named after you. Today, It is difficult to count how many modifications have been based on your submachine gun АК-47 that became the best submachine gun in the USSR, and then in the modern Russia, turning into the guarantor of freedom and independence of many countries in the world. Your name, dear Mikhail Timofeyevich, along with the name of the first cosmonaut on the planet, Yuriy Alekseyevich Gagarin, became the symbol of our country in the 20th century…”]

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
Don't know exactly who the voice is, but according to http://www.answers.com/topic/another-planet-voyager it's a sample from Jeff Wayne's musical version of The War of the Worlds

Following that link, the most likely candidate is 'Julie Covington' http://www.answers.com/topic/julie-covington ... she has an album available on Amazon ... she is singing in the samples, but the voice sounds pretty close ...

... that's a best guess based on a few minutes searching the interweb.

... sorry ... got bored and thought I'd try to track it down. :p

-----------

ok ... I was way wrong on that ... the guy's voice is definitely sampled from "War of the Worlds" ... just finished listening to the album again. Now I'm really curious about the origin of the female voice ... but I'm beginning to think it's just totally synthesized. :(

Last edited: