Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I want my own, personal Hadron Collider. Because Hadrons need to be collided. And I want one. It'll be the Micro Hadron Collider. I will build it, it'll fire quarks around. Or something.

I may or may not be drunk right now.

Calsir

Reaction score
Now, the LHC was started again this night, and that reminded me of the story -
The scientists are like children, asking what would happen if we open the box, forgetting to consider the unforeseen consequences.
Only, their scale is a little different.

The difference is that scientists try to gauge in advance what the effects will be, to a certain extent. "This may blow up the world, but the chances are fairly small" :thumbup:.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My 5 years old nephew put the wood burner apart a few weeks ago, and plugged it in, without noticing the shorted wires.
Popped the circuit breakers across the building and fused the plug into the socket.

Why does this sound sooooo familiar... :shrug:

Now, the LHC was started again this night, and that reminded me of the story -
The scientists are like children, asking what would happen if we open the box, forgetting to consider the unforeseen consequences.
Only, their scale is a little different.

Not entirelly correct...

What you hear in the media about black holes destroying Earth and the latest "Higgs bosson travelling back in time to prevent itself from being discovered" is crap. The reason you hear about it is because the medial loces this sort of crap. They don't give a rat's ass about the truth. They want the ratings and nothing says massive ratings like an exploding black hole does...

Scientists have always formed comprehensive theories with the ability to preciselly predict events in certain cases. I suppose the most powerful example would be Einstein's theory of relativity. He created the whole theory, with so many parts that we, to this day, have not managed to verify everything...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I am sorry for using the word awesome too much lately.
The word is just "legen *wait for it* dary!"

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this...

1188664955302ay0.gif

Link to story

What I like most is 98% of the audience voted for the moon, 2% voted for elephant. SO either its rigged, or... people are just being dumb, OR...there really are really stupid people out there.:idk: :shrug:

Did you check your own link? It's described clearly as a FAKE news story.

Or are you trying to pull one on your Orbiter-Forum buddies?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They want the ratings and nothing says massive ratings like an exploding black hole does...

Even more important in that context: Our few square meters of cosmic radiation detectors detected 150,000 cosmic ray protons in 15 years that had more energy than the LHC collisions. The "oh-my-god" particle (a very fast proton) was 300,000,000 times stronger than the LHC collisions (it had the kinetic energy of a thrown baseball), and still: No black hole.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Even more important in that context: Our few square meters of cosmic radiation detectors detected 150,000 cosmic ray protons in 15 years that had more energy than the LHC collisions. The "oh-my-god" particle (a very fast proton) was 300,000,000 times stronger than the LHC collisions (it had the kinetic energy of a thrown baseball), and still: No black hole.

Well, close. No *dangerous* black hole. Scientists are actually somewhat hoping to see black holes at the LHC. It would work towards settling certain unsolved problems. And a black hole with a mass of 14 TeV would evaporate within 1 Planck time, which is for all intents and purposes instantaneous. Even if it did not evaporate, it would be so small that its rate of eating wouldn't be noticeable for billions of years. (By the way, 150,000 protons isn't many. The ATLAS detector alone will be dealing with 40 million beam crossings per second, with each crossing involving a few hundred collisions. But we still know that micro-black holes can't be that dangerous, since we know that neutron stars and white dwarfs exist, but they would be eaten fairly quickly if MBH's could eat that fast and/or were produced in great enough numbers).

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Juanelm is now a believer of the Almighty Probe, following a recent revelation.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Pure fuzzy awesome.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Can anyone make sense of Stargate: Universe series?
Why should (hm, spoiler?) the senator have gone into the depressurized room to press a button, when there were a lot of flying remote-controlled cameras, quite capable of hitting it?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Can anyone make sense of Stargate: Universe series?
Why should (hm, spoiler?) the senator have gone into the depressurized room to press a button, when there were a lot of flying remote-controlled cameras, quite capable of hitting it?

There are two ways to watch SGU:
1. Ignore everything that bugs you
2. Make up your own fanfiction that explains the holes in the main plot.

I do both from time to time, so here are some solutions for the second way.

-They didn't have a long enough stick handy to press the button
-The Orbs don't have enough thrust to push such a button (Those buttons require an immense force, much more than a snowstorm. The Senator was just really strong)
-When they could not find a suitable stick, they were not in the mood to look for objects to throw at the switch.
-This was the only button in the ship which checks that it is pressed by a sentient.
-The whole mission is a setup a la "Cube" and the Senator lost.

allonan2361

Reaction score
I bid you a goodnight

Well it is 6:45 am central time and almost time to get off work and hit the pillow. So I bid you a good night and Happy orbiting.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, it is now established that Coca Cola has a lower melting point as water... the question is, how much lower?

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have reason to believe that I have successfully cloned a T-Rex. I'll keep you posted.