OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now debating proprietary vs. open-source!)

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have been forced to familiarize myself very closely with VMware ESXi.

I came to the conclusion that ESX (i.e. the hypervisor itself) is the best operating system ever, simply because it is literally impossible to break. Any change to the system image will vanish upon reboot. If you want your change to survive a reboot you must package it into the system image manually (i.e. create a VIB file and load it into the system). And if you create a VIB which breaks the system you have an option to revert to the previous system image at the boot time. Oh, and did I mention that the system image and the data stores are kept completely separate? Actually, I have trouble imagining a situation which would leave me with a completely unbootable system. Plus, it boots off an USB stick, so you can just copy (image) the stick prior to changes for extra safety...

You can even compile Linux software to run on the ESX host itself (yay!) except that the proces is a bit arcane. The secret is to use a Linux distro from 2007 because VMware for some reason refuses to upgrade the Linux image they are using...

Oh, and do you know that you can virtualize ESX on ESX? :D

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We also use ESXi here at work for our development machines, pretty useful since you can reset a virtual machine in a minute if you broke something or need to run another test of a dataset import from one cloud to the other.

After considering Docker for some strange hype for the past three years, I must say that I get more and more convinced that it would be the much better option from a developers POV... There are now already continuous delivery tools around that wrap all compilation artifacts into a Docker container at the end of the compile stage and automatically deploy this on the acceptance test machines, react on feedback from such tests via Docker or later put the container on the productive machines.

Sadly we still have to convince our customers there before it could become adopted outside internal experiments. The idea of cloud computing is still fighting against "We have always done things this way". Which is pretty annoying if you are working on one of the few true cloud solutions there.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well my main "home" PC has been running Win10 for a while now (delayed updating it for a long time). I was worried that it was a little too old for the update, but I must say it boots much faster than it did, and overall I like it.

But the Edge browser... At first I thought it was OK, but it keeps turning off addblocker. Some pages (mainly my mail) are painfully slow now because it stops (usually while I am typing something) to load a new add every few seconds.

The computer I've had for about 5 years or so, and I think it boots faster now than when I first bought it. So Windows 10, I'll give it a 4.5 out of 5.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But the Edge browser... At first I thought it was OK, but it keeps turning off addblocker. Some pages (mainly my mail) are painfully slow now because it stops (usually while I am typing something) to load a new add every few seconds.

I use a mix of Win 8 and Win 10 on my main PC's, and Win 10 on a Surface Pro tablet, and then lots of Ubuntu in Virtualboxes. Edge browser ... I try it occasionally hoping for it to be fixed, but it disappoints me. Two main issues: no backswipe on the touchscreen (for back page) kills it for me on my tablet, and no LastPass integration kills it everywhere! Chrome is still buggy, but it's my workhorse.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's also fairly easy to switch back to using desktop IE instead of Edge.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Deleted. Misunderstood.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought microsoft employees were the only people that still use microsoft browsers... :shifty:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Somehow I doubt that, given that IE (all versions) makes up for a fairly sizeable percentage of internet usage, and Microsoft doesn't employ *that* many people...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I thought microsoft employees were the only people that still use microsoft browsers... :shifty:

There are also a lot of legacy systems which are IE only.

Can't really explain why, because anybody with the mental capacity of an ant should have been aware that the IE before EDGE had been completely non-standard and that the deviations from standard architectures did not contribute to safety - it was more towards the opposite.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Well my main "home" PC has been running Win10 for a while now (delayed updating it for a long time). I was worried that it was a little too old for the update, but I must say it boots much faster than it did, and overall I like it.

The computer I've had for about 5 years or so, and I think it boots faster now than when I first bought it. So Windows 10, I'll give it a 4.5 out of 5.

That's strange, because Edge doesn't (yet) support extensions, of which Adblockers are a variety. I don't know what adblocker you're using, but you might want to try a different browser which uses extensions and install an adblocker that way.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Maybe that's why it kept turning it off?
At any rate, back to Firefox I go. Chrome on the tablet and netbook.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Possibly, but I don't quite get what there would be to turn off, since nothing could have been "on" in the first place with Edge. Adblocker installations are generally specific to browsers.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think I know what happened. It was an Edge thing. I see where I can turn off/block pop up windows. But adds are another problem.

In my sleep-deprived state I must have opened chrome or firefox. With those I have a stop sign and adds aren't an issue.

Working 72 hrs a week on the midnight shift. I'm going to have to beg for forgiveness.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Probably, I can't get my HP laptop to go back to Windows 7 after upgrading to 10. Nothing wrong with 10 to me, it just never installed properly. Missing Start Menu, and the Notifications page won't open. Sometimes it comes good for a few days, then goes back to that state.

Most irritating...

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is that for real?
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology...ng_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

TL;DR: A new Win 7 update automatically "updates" to Windows 10, without asking.

There had been previous incidents with similar "ill-thought" updates in the past year, which made your PC download the Windows 10 upgrade without asking you (But not yet installing it)

But such a forced update was really planned last years already, with many smarter people complaining.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Probably, I can't get my HP laptop to go back to Windows 7 after upgrading to 10. Nothing wrong with 10 to me, it just never installed properly. Missing Start Menu, and the Notifications page won't open. Sometimes it comes good for a few days, then goes back to that state.

Most irritating...

N.

If it's any help, you could perform a clean install of 10.