Orbiter Video Thread

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The new Baseland Autopilot can now land a hevay payloaded Shuttle A @ 10x time acceleration at Brighton Beach, using terrain collision detection :thumbup:

[ame="http://youtu.be/ROccvEm8BBY"]orbiter 20170109 211625F - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The new Baseland Autopilot looks great! Did you already publish this update, or is it still under development?
It's still under developement but I could solve some problemst the last days.
There a still some key features missing (Selecting a base etc.), so just to do's hopefully... and even some "beauty mistakes"...

---------- Post added 10-01-17 at 00:40 ---------- Previous post was 09-01-17 at 22:50 ----------

And another video landing a Deepstar Lander at Brighton Beach :cheers:
[ame="http://youtu.be/UZeKVOyWC3o"]orbiter 20170109 223353F - YouTube[/ame]

Tarantul

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Of course, it's not a real proper RTLS procedure, as I ascend directly up, actually I've tested some other things, but you know, that "everythere-appearing" J-key... ;)

So my horizontal speed was zero, but it made things (especially things mentioned in title of the video) more intensive.

Considering the initial angle and lack of initial control, Runway 33 wasn't an option, so I've landed on that "usually useless" runway. :) And OMS engines was started purely as placebo effect of course.

Don't try this at home!

Stupidity and Courage!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Here's a new ORBITER 2016 mini series I'm working on! Mission briefing attached as images below. Many more parts to come!

Enjoy. :tiphat:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmvoml-ZqFM"][Part 7] Top Secret Rescue - ORBITER 2016 Video Series - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 20

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
*EDIT - I've moved all released parts of this video series into my original post above.

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey Tex, that was fun to watch. Could you please share your Szenario file. I want to try that mission.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks! I'd be happy to. Do you only want the first part? If so, I've attached it below.

*Note, you will need to set fuel isp on the XR5 config to 5. Let me know if you were able to do this flight with XR5 default isp! :thumbup:

Attachments

• Part 1.scn
    7.5 KB · Views: 9

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I noticed you got very low on energy on both approaches. IMHO you are using AerobrakeMFD too close to the HAC. IIRC AerobrakeMFD shows the range if you hold current attitude all the way to the ground, and doesn't account for the longer ground track added by flying the HAC turn. If you used GlideslopeMFD for TEAM you can see how close you are on energy considering the selected HAC. Also the base "location" can be kilometers from the actual RWY.

I usually target the RWY end that's further away and the HAC that's on the opposite side from the approach. This gives me a HAC turn between 180° and 270°. This gives you the most options to adjust if you come in high or low on energy. Remember that you are on a 15-20° slope, so lengthening the ground track can burn a lot of energy very fast. If you're low/slow you can switch to the closer RWY end. A glance at the "tapes" view in GlideslopeMFD shows how close to nominal you are, even if you switch/adjust the target HAC.

Thank you for sharing the adventure. I know it takes a lot to make videos this good. Kudos!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Where can I download FSSB?

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1834"]Fuel Service Stations, release 2[/ame]

Links to other addons I used are in the video description.

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
A very short hop in the Vanguard using Orbiter 2016 in D3D9 mode.

[ame="https://youtu.be/oxdgW-jL3g8"]Hypersonic Flight from Davao City to Manila, simulated in Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator - YouTube[/ame][/youtube]

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Rough comparison of my CRS-8 launch footage to an orbiter simulation of the launch:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-mEXBk91n4"]CRS-8 Simulation Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Back again! In this week's episode we start off at our ressurected Mir space station in lunar orbit and we fly the stock DeltaGlider down to Brighton Beach!

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Messierhunter, I've always wanted to do that.

From now on when I track a launch I'm going to take a screenshot of my GPS location on my phone for later comparison to Orbiter. I did that with the CRS-10 launch, but it was so cloudy that I only saw the first few and the last few seconds of the launch/landing, so there's not much to compare it to. It's still useful for showing a comparison of the sonic boom timing with the landing, which I'm currently working on. Hopefully the next daytime LZ1 landing is on a perfectly clear day so that I can track it with the scope from launch to landing.