Orbiter Video Thread

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Does a good video need fancy effects and post-processing filters?
(I'm looking at you Tex)

Because I don't want to buy/pirate video software.

Not necessarily, as the previous 2 videos have just shown (one informative/interesting, one cinematic/interesting). They're always welcome though! (*looking at Tex too*)

Of course that's just my :2cents:.

Re inverted reentries - that seems a very efficient way of reducing ApA altitude from a moon return - how do you do that (i.e. go so low) without exploding?

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Re inverted reentries - that seems a very efficient way of reducing ApA altitude from a moon return - how do you do that (i.e. go so low) without exploding?

Make your PeA between 60-70km then sit there changing your AoA to stay in the atmosphere but not get too low, then once your speed is down to normal reentry speeds ether roll over to continue your reentry or when your ApA is closing to your target orbit let your AoA lower to 0(the former in an inverted reentry, the latter is an aerobrake maneuver).

orbekler

Reaction score
...Re inverted reentries - that seems a very efficient way of reducing ApA altitude from a moon return - how do you do that (i.e. go so low) without exploding?

I would add...
Initial setting: periapsis to 65km, AoA = 45°.
Perfect altitude to aerocapture/drag is from 61km to 63km.

NEVER go below 60km altitude before flip-over.
Relative to your vessel seat, nose up to get higher in altitude, nose down to get lower.
Beware of hysteresis in AoA response.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not necessarily, as the previous 2 videos have just shown (one informative/interesting, one cinematic/interesting). They're always welcome though! (*looking at Tex too*)

Of course that's just my :2cents:.

I am using Fraps, VirtualDub (to crop out the watermark), and Windows Movie Maker (with HD plugin) for making my videos.

What do you think?

I'm trying to prove that you don't need to buy or pirate anything (such as Sony Vegas with all its fancy effects) to make a good video.

Still making my XR2 to Mars video, which also has the Arrow. It's been almost 2 months since I started. I'm about to work on the actual landing part (I can land on Mars now, but I need to make a playback of it).

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, you can always, *gasp*, BUY the video software.

Did you know that I'm only 16 and probably can't convince my parents to spend money on video software?
Besides, it's a point I'm trying to prove (or a self-imposed challenge), that you don't need to spend money or pirate anything.

Last edited:

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
Besides, Vegas DOES cost several thousand dollars.

Unstung

Reaction score
Here is my :probe:tastic New Year video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VzcYxz-XE"]Voyager 2: The Real Grand Tour[/ame]

I usually write down my ideas if the video is sufficiently long, but I don't use all of them:

Sometimes Rarely I'd make a proper screenplay or storyboard.
These notes include rough sketches of a banana, Voyager, and a pun or two for your enjoyment.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here is my :probe:tastic New Year video:
Voyager 2: The Real Grand Tour

I usually write down my ideas if the video is sufficiently long, but I don't use all of them:

Sometimes Rarely I'd make a proper screenplay or storyboard.
These notes include rough sketches of a banana, Voyager, and a pun or two for your enjoyment.

When I make my videos, I sometimes write notes on segments in the song, and what clip goes where.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Also, your video got as many views in a day as I got in one week with my Mars video. How does that work? And we both used Japanese songs.

edit: Okay, probably because it was mentioned on reddit or something.

None of my videos have broken the "5000-view barrier," as I like to call it. My Orbiter videos (not counting my Mars one) are in the 1000s range.

Last edited:

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
How does that work?

No idea, both are utterly fantastic, yet nicely different in style.

:speakcool:

[personal opinion moment]
Half the work (in my opinion) of making a video pleasing is getting the music right. We ditched silent films with any old music blaring away in the background about 100 years ago, so why have it now? Both Unstung and Pipcard here have succeeded in making very watchable films because they picked and edited around music to match each scene, not just the whole film.
[/personal opinion moment]

@Pipcard - how did you get such a nice crater around Olympus with your Orulex? I've wrangled with mine for ages and still can't get rid of my massive silly 2km deep hole. :hmm:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
@Pipcard - how did you get such a nice crater around Olympus with your Orulex? I've wrangled with mine for ages and still can't get rid of my massive silly 2km deep hole. :hmm:

I've been waiting for someone to ask that question. On the Orulex config, I changed the Heightmap limit to 7.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Did you do that with movie maker?? If so, very nice. Most of my stuff winds up in the recycle bin, so I don't even try to make videos.

Unstung

Reaction score
Did you do that with movie maker?? If so, very nice. Most of my stuff winds up in the recycle bin, so I don't even try to make videos.
I started with Movie Maker a few years ago, but now I use Sony Vegas. If you're interested in purchasing the software, I wouldn't recommend going with Pro or spending extra money to keep up with the latest version.

Pipcard: I post my videos on Reddit, and in the 'space' subreddit they last longer and usually get more views. For other videos, however, like Sea Offensive, it may take years to break 1000 views (if ever). If I make a non-historical video, they get fewer views.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the dot that represents Voyager as it passes by Callisto at 1:25 is actually from a picture of Jupiter I took (the dot is Ganymede, I believe).

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Yes, with an HD plugin (look for a tutorial on Youtube). I don't buy (or pirate) software when I make movies.

edit: A few hours ago I put my video on the Vocaloid reddit.

Last edited:

otisbow

Reaction score
Back in the late 60's, CBS news had the best Apollo sims of the flights to the moon. Otis

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I took a break from Orbiter for quite a while (got really distracted with StarCraft 2 for a long time), but I've been obsessing with Orbiter again lately.

This video is just "for the fun of it" mostly. I've been playing around with the default Space Shuttle a lot these past few days. In this video, I'm using my Thrustmaster Hotas T-flight joystick and am experimenting with a webcam overlay.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
How did you get the webcam in there?

Is it an after-effect or did you actually import video to orbiter?

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How did you get the webcam in there?

My screen recording software lets me combine multiple sources of media into the final output. So I have my screen being recorded as one source (so I can record what I'm doing in Orbiter), and my webcam is being recorded as another source. Then I carefully positioned my webcam video so that it would fit perfectly inside of the MFD. (Then I played around with the color/filter options to try and give the webcam that kind of grainy night vision appearance.)