Orbiter theme song?

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't blame you for not searching for this, but this IS the internet...
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2742"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2742[/ame]
A big retroactive thanks to ar81! :)

Also, @Moach, I hope you don't mind if I direct people here...
http://www.myspace.com/vanquishtheband
(Moach = Guiherme, front and center) :thumbup:

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
If you ask me, a theme song for Orbiter should reflect the idea of space travel that Orbiter tries to convey. It should be serene and majestic, yet adventurous and modern.

And then... Well, then there is the other side: the dark side, the nerdish / high pitch / helium filter side, I mean :facepalm:

This is only a 'side' note but, back on older Orbiter Forums, orbinaut 'CoolCosmonaut' made a few strategic alterations to the lyrics of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. The result was the Newtonian Rhapsody... I then produced a quick and clumsy helium voice version of the song, just for laughs (for all practice and effects, literally ruining the song)...

For orbinauts with no love for their ears and liking to suffer a bit (or make other people suffer), the zip (with mp3 + modified lyrics / readme txt) might still be available for download on my site's Multimedia Section > Sound page... If downloading that old zip please do not say that I did not warn (!)...:RnR1:

António

Last edited:

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
"The Launch" from "In the Shadow of the Moon".

YouTube- In the Shadow of the Moon - The Launch

Good choice!

Watching the lift off in slow motion like that I think, "wow, what amazing things we human beings can do when we really put our minds to it"
And that, I think, is one of the main things Orbiter is about.

Also, I love the Gene Cernan quote that got cut off at the end of that clip, where he dared the guidance to give him a reason to take manual control.

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
Good choice!

Watching the lift off in slow motion like that I think, "wow, what amazing things we human beings can do when we really put our minds to it"
And that, I think, is one of the main things Orbiter is about.

Definitely. But for me there's also a "Whoooaaaa, the cosmos!" side, and when I first heard this song, which so magnificently splits the difference, I even imagined making an Orbiter video with it:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i do believe any "Orbiter Theme" shold be something composed by someone of this community.... i mean, Orbiter deserves a custom-made theme, IMO.... using a track composed for something else may cut it, but it really doesn't have the same "umph!" :lol:

hang on... i'm on it - downloading the needed software right now... i'll post as soon as i have something :thumbup:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For those of us - like me - that grew up building cardboard spaceships in our back yard and dreaming of the stars, this song has become my Orbiter theme song

Last edited:

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
@JonnyBGoode

You're not going to suggest Jonny B. Goode?

Columbia42

Reaction score
Wow this thread really took off! My personal favorite out of all of these is the in the shadow of the moon reentry. I also like the in the shadow of the moon launch. Can't wait to here that composition, Moach! Here's another suggestion:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the theme song should be fishing somewhere in Achim Reichels waters... I mean if astronauts would be singing songs at work, the result might naturally evolve into modern Sea Shanties over time.

EMU Boot dances are out - in space, nobody hears you stomp.

And some folk didn't work too bad in Firefly...

Last edited:

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I suggest Night On Bald Mountain by modest Mussorgsky!
One of the better recordings of it:

Hail Чернобог!

Reaction score
Yes, I can't hear that song without seeing that scene, perfect launch music. Born to be Wild works pretty well too: "Fire all of your guns at one and explode into space."

Definitely. But for me there's also a "Whoooaaaa, the cosmos!" side, and when I first heard this song, which so magnificently splits the difference, I even imagined making an Orbiter video with it:

YouTube- The Karminsky Experience - Exploration
One of my favorite videos with the same footage. Music's from BSG, so no good for an Orbiter theme song, but it still works really well.

I think Air on a G String is probably as good as anything for a theme song, is reflects the majesty of drifting through space, and it already has the association. Could do with a better recording, though; the default that comes with orbiter sound isn't exactly the best quality. ;)

Columbia42

Reaction score
I hate to say it like this, but no. Anyone who has seen this movie (or at least those that reacted to it like I did) associates Lux Aeterna with hardcore depression and awful things. Definitely a bad choice for Orbiter.

I actually didn't know that song was from a movie. Okay that one's out.

Hah!

I was also going to suggest Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf...

YouTube- Zefram Cochrane - April 5th, 2063

That's a great scene and a great song. Definitely would make a good Orbiter theme song.

Reaction score
From 2001, after HAL is shut down and David Bowman is forced to complete his mission alone:
Bowman was aware of some changes in his behavior patterns; it would
have been absurd to expect anything else in the circumstances. He could
no longer tolerate silence; except when he was sleeping, or talking
over the circuit to Earth, he kept the ship's sound system running at
almost painful loudness.
At first, needing the companionship of the human voice, he had listened
to classical plays - especially the works of Shaw, Ibsen, and
Shakespeare - or poetry readings from Discovery's enormous library of
recorded sounds. The problems they dealt with, however, seemed so
remote, or so easily resolved with a little common sense, that after a
while he lost patience with them.
So he switched to opera - usually in Italian or German, so that he was
not distracted even by the minimal intellectual content that most
operas contained. This phase lasted for two weeks before he realized
that the sound of all these superbly trained voices was only
exacerbating his loneliness. But what finally ended this cycle was
Verdi's Requiem Mass, which he had never heard performed on Earth. The
"Dies Irae," roaring with ominous appropriateness through the empty
ship, left him completely shattered; and when the trumpets of Doomsday
echoed from the heavens, he could endure no more.
Thereafter, he played only instrumental music. He started with the
romantic composers, but shed them one by one as their emotional
outpourings became too oppressive. Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Berlioz,
lasted a few weeks, Beethoven rather longer. He finally found peace, as
so many others had done, in the abstract architecture of Bach,
occasionally ornamented with Mozart.
And so Discovery drove on toward Saturn, as often as not pulsating with
the cool music of the harpsichord, the frozen thoughts of a brain that
had been dust for twice a hundred years.
I hope this doesn't come off as too chauvinistic, I'm a fan of most kinds of music, but somehow "classical" music just fits with spaceflight. I think it's because much of modern music is essentially folk music--love songs, protest songs, songs that deal with problems and emotions on a human scale. They work really well for telling stories about people that just happen to be in space (like Firefly, RIP); but space itself is so much bigger, it takes a different kind of music to fill that space...

Keatah

Reaction score
IMHO, this is the finest space music you will ever come across. Nothing else captures the grandeur and awe of the universe quite like this.

And it certainly fits into orbiter, not as theme/title music, but as in-simulation ambient background music. Try it out!

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

From 2001, after HAL is shut down and David Bowman is forced to complete his mission alone:

I hope this doesn't come off as too chauvinistic, I'm a fan of most kinds of music, but somehow "classical" music just fits with spaceflight. I think it's because much of modern music is essentially folk music--love songs, protest songs, songs that deal with problems and emotions on a human scale. They work really well for telling stories about people that just happen to be in space (like Firefly, RIP); but space itself is so much bigger, it takes a different kind of music to fill that space...

No don't be, classical music is great for this. Most of the rock and roll today isn't even music at all. A bunch of haphazard noise! Really.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

I suggest Night On Bald Mountain by modest Mussorgsky!
One of the better recordings of it:
YouTube- A Night On The Bare Mountain (A)

Hail Чернобог!

yeh that's good..

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Yes, I can't hear that song without seeing that scene, perfect launch music. Born to be Wild works pretty well too: "Fire all of your guns at one and explode into space."

One of my favorite videos with the same footage. Music's from BSG, so no good for an Orbiter theme song, but it still works really well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXtG3vfAlA

I think Air on a G String is probably as good as anything for a theme song, is reflects the majesty of drifting through space, and it already has the association. Could do with a better recording, though; the default that comes with orbiter sound isn't exactly the best quality. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZXM2eq46_s

yeh, this is good too, I think it needs more oomph and presence, but good enough nonetheless.

Slice N Splice

Reaction score
It is my humble opinion that Orbiter needs a theme song. (That is, if it doesn't already have one that I don't know about.) So if anyone wants to write one, (perhaps I'll try my hand at this however, never having written a song before, I'm sure there are people more qualified than me in this area) that would be great. Good luck and may the Probe be with you!

I think it should be Aerosmith-Sweet Emotions.

Thats like the perfect song, especially when blasting off a rocket. :tiphat:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
but A bitsome modern rock could be there.
I think abot the better not just noizing Rock.

likethat:
If we would find music somewhee between classic and this?