Orbiter Screenshot Thread

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's definitely so!

And we should investigate the effect of a large number of trees, building and other objects on Orbiter performance.

I think we can try placing trees, houses on the ground, and this will make the flickering of surface textures less noticeable.

Also they make place like airports look much more real, give a feeling of speed when rolling on taxiways and runways...

That tree above looks perfect. How many polygons ?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
We need to learn how to meshes visible behind transparent meshes! Then we would have trees!
View attachment 35605
That should work fine in Open Orbiter after adding a mesh group flag 0x20 to the tree. It should enable Order Independent Transparency. This works only in a one bit basis. (i.e. either fully transparent or opaque).

LordCroussette

Quebec City's Resident Base Builder
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Finally decided it was time to make Pioneer One into a VesselBuilder vessel so I could finally use my interplanetary spaceship. Here it is docked to the CSS in a test scenario to test the crew docking port.
1700092024231.png
1700092032645.png
Now I just have to do the four pods.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0263a.jpg

To protect its crew from Solar radiation, the mining vessel Konstantin is hiding in the shadow behind an asteroid. Solar panels extend on a mast over the horizon to capture the sunlight. The ship is spinning at 3 rpm to provide Earth-like gravity in the habitats at the end of the booms. Solar miners - currently stored in the lower part of the ship - will be deployed to melt and vaporize the regolith by focusing sunlight through their reflective mirrors.
_____
The scene is inspired by the novel 'Delta-V' by Daniel Suarez. If you are interested in a near-future space thriller, this book is worth reading.

gamer19

Reaction score
wow
we definitely need new thread "the story behind screenshot" :geek:
well done francis (y)

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
View attachment 35730

To protect its crew from Solar radiation, the mining vessel Konstantin is hiding in the shadow behind an asteroid. Solar panels extend on a mast over the horizon to capture the sunlight. The ship is spinning at 3 rpm to provide Earth-like gravity in the habitats at the end of the booms. Solar miners - currently stored in the lower part of the ship - will be deployed to melt and vaporize the regolith by focusing sunlight through their reflective mirrors.
_____
The scene is inspired by the novel 'Delta-V' by Daniel Suarez. If you are interested in a near-future space thriller, this book is worth reading.
Is that actually Ryugu, or did you use a different asteroid?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Is that actually Ryugu, or did you use a different asteroid?
I scaled-up the Martian moon Deimos and put it into deep space. Against the Suns' backlight, it is hard to see the default surface texture. ;)

I looked up Orbit Hangar, but it seems nobody yet modelled Ryugu. There are high-res surface photos on the Jaxa website. I would be glad if someone takes the challenge to make a proper Ryugu.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I scaled-up the Martian moon Deimos and put it into deep space. Against the Suns' backlight, it is hard to see the default surface texture. ;)

I looked up Orbit Hangar, but it seems nobody yet modelled Ryugu. There are high-res surface photos on the Jaxa website. I would be glad if someone takes the challenge to make a proper Ryugu.

NASA's solar system treks has a 3d model in a few different resolutions:

1700684366893.png
It is in obj format, but it's not textured:
1700684814434.png

Same link also has the Hayabusa2 global DEM (Digital Elevation Model). One can make "proper" surface elevation tiles for Ryugu with that.

1700684850153.png

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Speaking of NEOs, is there a comprehensive list of all the known ones somewhere? Somehow you'd think that "list of near earth objects" would yield an instant result on google, but all I can find are lists of approaches rather than just an overview of the objects and their orbits.