Orbiter Screenshot Thread

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I remember trying to run that addon on Orbiter 2010, and my old Celeron, Intel Graphics Media Decelerator. I got something like 2 fps. Probably could actually run that now, haha.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'd like to try this city with Orbiter 2016 since it works with it (it seems from the last picture of the Pictown addon).

And maybe there's a way to try the Orbiter City with Orbiter 2016 (without some features which require UCGO).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I once wrote a module, that experimented with making a city out of multiple buildings at different LODs allowing to fly smoothly over a pretty complex city made of about 2000 buildings. With some optimizations, maybe 10000 would have worked. The main problem was telling, in which LOD category the buildings belong.

LordCroussette

Quebec City's Resident Base Builder
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'd like to try this city with Orbiter 2016 since it works with it (it seems from the last picture of the Pictown addon).

And maybe there's a way to try the Orbiter City with Orbiter 2016 (without some features which require UCGO).
I tried Pictown on 2016 and it did work. The only problem was, of course, the terrain. But with a .flt file, it should be very easy to fix.
Oh and Pictown obviously doesn't line up with the roads visible on the L13 tiles, which makes the city look strange and out of place. But otherwise, it works.

It is probably the same with Orbiter City (never tried it that one, either in 2016 or the version it was made for. I need to try it.)

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The main problem was telling, in which LOD category the buildings belong.
I think such module sounds very interesting. Maybe it makes sense to describe the LOD category problem in more details and someone could suppose something...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think such module sounds very interesting. Maybe it makes sense to describe the LOD category problem in more details and someone could suppose something...

Yes, but doing so on the CPU simply is wasteful. a GPU variant would work faster and better, but that went beyond the Orbiter API.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Since I encountered obstacles doing the XB-70 Valkyrie, I couldn't even take off, etc. I decided to undertake a smaller but also historic project.
This is the I.Ae 37 delta wing glider developed in 1953 by Reimar Horten in Argentina. In its first version it was a glider and later they added a Rolls Royce Derwent V engine.
2023-09-15 16_40_42-Window.jpg
With this project I learned how to handle control surfaces and their calculation (aerodynamic chord, etc.).
By the way, the Orbiter Windows shaders are impressive. Thanks D3D9 development team!

LordCroussette

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Plane!
1694814399084.png
It's heavily based on the CRJ-700 (I won't call it a recreation, my modeling skills aren't good enough for that). For now it's in the livery of my personal VA. I'll probably make a variant or two in the future though. Like one all white and one Air Canada or something. I did place three around the airport so that would make it one of each.
1694814437443.png

LordCroussette

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Can you pass underneath the small bridge connecting the parking lot to the terminal?
1695056631142.png
Yes you can! Look at this gap! :eek:
1695056648502.png
However you will bounce on the ground afterwards lol
1695056665983.png
Narrowly avoided the bus.
1695056672781.png
Beware the trees lmao
1695056687114.png

gamer19

Reaction score
I think these kind of posts will better fit to some new thread named "my latest Orbiter projects" :unsure:(?)
this thread should be more about all the beauty of the Orbiter itself, you know.... like when someone Google "space, game, drop dead beautiful"
then, of course, he'll end up on this forum ;) this thread, and we'll hear him say "wow, me like that. I want it so bad. off with them Kerbal"

but of course I may be completely wrong
maybe I misunderstand the point of this thread

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I think these kind of posts will better fit to some new thread named "my latest Orbiter projects" :unsure:(?)
this thread should be more about all the beauty of the Orbiter itself, you know.... like when someone Google "space, game, drop dead beautiful"
then, of course, he'll end up on this forum ;) this thread, and we'll hear him say "wow, me like that. I want it so bad. off with them Kerbal"

but of course I may be completely wrong
maybe I misunderstand the point of this thread
I think you nailed it perfectly.
However, they are screenshots, and so belong here, but a new thread would indeed keep things a little cleaner.

gamer19

Reaction score
ok
I hope I won't become some kind of OrbiterGrinch, I have good intentions.
I like things neat and clean.
and it's not ocd 😌

anyway
while we wait those drop dead gorgeous here's couple of mine :)

orbiter-2022-01-31-00-55-51-424.jpg

orbiter-2022-02-07-04-20-23-616.jpg