Orbiter Screenshot Thread

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
View attachment 22868

A rough facsimile of Pioneer P-30 in orbit around the Moon, September 1960.

It was the closest an Atlas Able ever came to succeeding, so I thought it would make an interesting "what if" scenario if the U.S. had managed to put something in lunar orbit 6 years before the U.S.S.R. would do with Luna 10. The spacecraft specs are correct down to the fuel, engine isp, weight, and thrust, but I used the generic Velcro Luna 3 mesh as a placeholder since I don't have a proper mesh for that series of Pioneer spacecraft. The transit time from launch to the Moon was ~64 hours. Insertion into a 6,800km x 7,000km orbit on 90 newtons of thrust takes nearly 22 minutes.
If you want to create a mesh for Pioneer P-30, this image might help:)
Pioneer_P-1_P-3_P-30_P-31.jpg

I think Pioneer 5 is also built in the same model as P-30

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Wedding went very well. Thanks folks!

In hindsight these past four posts (including this one), should probably get moved over to the random comments thread. That's where I intended to post this... thx

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
3. Open the Meshes\G422\G422_dvc.msh with the text editor.
4. Find the lines that say FLAG 3 and replace them with FLAG 0. There are 6 in total. If you don't do this, the MFDs in the VC won't work. Save and exit.

Thanks dgatsoulis, I found that your solution for this problem worked for me on a completely unrelated problem I had: On Orbiter 2010 with D3D9 R16.7 the G42-200 Starliner was not working when entering the virtual cockpit. Now it works perfect again. Thank you very much.
hnacco8zg7suj1o6g.jpg

Some experiments...
fn9s9ce36umoa836g.jpg

jueuiysiunb0jjs6g.jpg

pqkk5souitn3a6u6g.jpg

gyufm9svqt191686g.jpg

Next step: test the new Orbiter with the new G42-200 Starliner

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Last edited:

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
1600985215025.png

Mariner 9 in Martian orbit.

I do aim for the historic latitude and longitude when flying the Surveyors. It's helpful that LunarTransferMFD gives the latitude and longitude of the impact point. Currently working on LOX venting for the Atlas and Mach shockwaves for launch.

Great work! Since you are improving the meshes, could you please fix the solar panels ? Those stripes are awful and break the illusion completely.
If you don't want to mess with textures and UV maps, just make them dark blue.

I've reskinned textures before so I could tinker with the panels on the Surveyor.

Edit: I almost want to leave the panel texture untouched. I've fiddled with trying to replace it with a higher quality texture, but I get varying results. Plus, making the panels a flat color with no other texturing just looks boring.

Last edited:

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Texture fix 1.png
Texture fix 2.png
I used another solar panel texture that was in the texture folder. The issue with how the texture is mapped on this mesh is that it doesn't sample the whole image, it samples a sliver of it and then stretches it. This texture is supposed to be a grid of squares. I'm afraid of discussing this further here since this isn't really an add on development thread, rather a screenshot thread.

Edit: On second thought, I'm leaving the original Surveyor panel textured unchanged. If someone cares to do a retexture then by all means, but I'm leaving the textures as is for legacy's sake.

Last edited:

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
It's a UV mapping issue, the original texture seems fine.
But I agree with not spending too much time with it, it's legacy as you say!
Sorry about the Off Topic ;)

It's fine! I'm just so accustomed to the original textures that anything else just doesn't look right.